Intermitent oil light - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2017, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Question Intermitent oil light

First post. 2007 Jeep Compass w/107700 miles.

Oil light on the dash is intermittent - occurs after it is warmed up and at idle or once I take my foot off the accelerator.

I am thinking its the oil sending unit/switch. A $30 part. No issues with this Jeep since I bought it 2 years ago when it had 84K on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2017, 03:29 PM

Garage
Ok. That's bad. Don't drive any more until you confirm normal oil level and no oil leaks. Secondly, change the oil and filter. If the light is still coming on after that, again, do not drive the vehicle. Get it checked out by a mechanic.
The oil pressure sensor can fail but usually they either fail completely, or they leak oil. If it is not leaking (and I mean, seriously drooling oil out on to the ground) then it probably is working.
Oil pressure varies with engine speed and oil temperature. Your description of low oil pressure when the engine is warm and at low rpm sounds like a) the sensor is working and b) the oil pressure is lower than it should be.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:58 PM

Exactly as ZONER99 says...

The pressure is extremely low when the light comes on. You need to be sure and only a mechanical pressure gauge checked by a mechanic can confirm what it is.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Looks like there is an oil leak. Didn't notice it until after it was driven and then parked in the driveway.

Now I need to find the time to either A) track down where the leak is or B) Pay a shop $75 to diagnose where it is occurring. It could still be the OSU, but only if it is loose and causing the leak. Wife is driving my '99 Cherokee until then. I'm stuck driving a '99 Metro
Old 08-31-2017, 11:08 PM

Garage
Not likely that the oil pressure switch has come loose, but it can leak oil through the switch. Have a look underneath and try to see where the oil is coming from and go from there.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner99 View Post
Not likely that the oil pressure switch has come loose, but it can leak oil through the switch. Have a look underneath and try to see where the oil is coming from and go from there.
Found the oil pan bolts on the back of the pan were loose; I mean really loose, like I could turn them by hand.
However, I do not think that was the problem. I can see the OSU, its not leaking, but I can't get to it. Can't even find a manual that shows what to do to get to it. FSM costs $200+. No Chilton or Haynes manual published for the Compass
Old 09-02-2017, 02:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexieCompass View Post
Found the oil pan bolts on the back of the pan were loose; I mean really loose, like I could turn them by hand.
However, I do not think that was the problem. I can see the OSU, its not leaking, but I can't get to it. Can't even find a manual that shows what to do to get to it. FSM costs $200+. No Chilton or Haynes manual published for the Compass
Personally I would put on a new oil pan gasket, retorque, fresh oil and filter and that's it. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the oil pan itself. Low oil pressure was probably caused by low oil level - caused by the leak.

As for service manuals the 2.4/2.0/1.8 'world' engine is pretty much the same whether in a Compass, Patriot, or Caliber or even a PT. Mitsubishis and Hyundai/Kia used the same engine block also.

And yep if the oil pressure switch fails it is a big hassle to change. However in your case you have confirmed that it isn't leaking and isn't creating an error code (right?) so there is no reason to touch it.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner99 View Post
Personally I would put on a new oil pan gasket, retorque, fresh oil and filter and that's it. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the oil pan itself. Low oil pressure was probably caused by low oil level - caused by the leak.

As for service manuals the 2.4/2.0/1.8 'world' engine is pretty much the same whether in a Compass, Patriot, or Caliber or even a PT. Mitsubishis and Hyundai/Kia used the same engine block also.

And yep if the oil pressure switch fails it is a big hassle to change. However in your case you have confirmed that it isn't leaking and isn't creating an error code (right?) so there is no reason to touch it.
Still getting the intermittent oil light. I changed out the oil and filter when this issue was first detected.

I called a few shops here and they quoted me anywhere from $275 to $325 USD to change the oil sending unit - that includes running a diag. test on it. I haven't heard and my research hasn't found oil pressure / oil pump issues to be a problem with this model. Hell, if I could disable the damn audio beeping that accompanies the light coming on, I would do that and just move on.

However, it is the Jeep the wife drives and she wants to drive it - she doesn't really like the Cherokee; the new leaf springs and lift kit give it a pretty stiff ride where you feel every dip in the road.

Looking at how to get to the unit, seems like I would need to remove the AC compressor-at least remove the bracket so I can move it out of the way. I don't know....maybe I'll start to tackle it this weekend.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Fixed

It took longer to remove the AC bracket, reposition the compressor, removing the alternator wiring so I could reach the oil sending unit, than it took to remove and replace it.
Attached are some pics if folks need to reference them to do their own when / if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Serpintine_Belt_Route.gif (61.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: gif AC_Comp_Bolts.gif (102.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: gif Oil_Pres_Sensor01.gif (118.3 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by LexieCompass; 10-01-2017 at 03:41 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in