2014 Jeep Compass Latitude low tire pressure light problem - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 11-04-2017, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Arrow 2014 Jeep Compass Latitude low tire pressure light problem

Hello ladies and gentlemen! This is going to be a long story, so I apologize in advance. We traded our 2010 Jeep Patriot for the Compass in May 2017. Hubby ran over a board on Tuesday and the left front tire started leaking air. So since we bought the extended tire warranty, he took it to the dealer to repair the tire. The dealer patched the tire and put it back on. We were good until Wednesday morning when the low tire light came on. Hubby had me call a tow truck to come and put the spare tire on (he has arthritis and bad knees and can't change a tire). He started driving the car and the low tire light came on again - in fact, the dash light says that there is only 3 pounds of air in the tire, although my hubby checked the spare with a tire gauge and it was at the proper weight. I had called the dealership and told them about the leaking tire that they had supposedly fixed and they offered to replace the repaired tire with a new tire, and I am going to the dealership tomorrow to get the new tire put on.

The low tire light on the dash really bothers me. What could cause this - a problem with the sensors on the tires or something in the dash? We bought the extended warranty when we bought the car, although there is a $100 deductible, so if it's something the dealership is going to have to fix, it's going to have to wait until I get paid. Our horn doesn't work either, so they will have to fix that too. Maybe it's related?

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your ideas and/or suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-04-2017, 12:48 PM

Hi Diane,

The sensors (in each wheel) can fail completely or become inaccurate. There are two basic types of these sensors. Older ones have a metal tire stem, later ones have a rubber tire stem. A 2014 model could have either. The metal tire stems are famous for developing problems due to corrosion, the rubber ones are more reliable.
A tire sensor failing soon after a tire repair though makes me suspicious that the sensor was damaged during the repair, perhaps by careless handling. Or if a 'tire sealant' was used the sensor may need to be cleaned.
The horn should not be related to the tire pressure problem.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-04-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I had the tire replaced this morning. It turns out that the tire shouldn't have been patched - the hole was too big. The service guy explained to me that spare tires do not have sensors, so that's why it showed low tire pressure on that tire. So glad there wasn't a problem with the low tire display! I do like the fact that our Compass has a full-size spare and not a donut tire.

What was odd was when the tech called the warranty company to get approval to replace the tire, they told him that they didn't have a record of us having the warranty, even though I had called them on Wednesday to arrange for the tow truck. The tech said he would go ahead and replace the tire today and get the warranty problem straightened out on Monday. The tech seems to think that the finance guy didn't register the warranties after we bought the Jeep. We are also supposed to be getting free oil changes for the first 2 years but when hubby went to the dealer to get the oil change, they said they couldn't find it on their computers. I have to make another call to the finance guy on Monday - when I called him in September about this, he said that we had the free oil change program and that the service department would refund our money. Hubby tried to get them to refund the money when he was getting the tire fixed the other day, but they couldn't find a record of it on the computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-04-2017, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

And we had lots of trouble with the sensors when we had our Patriot - that's why we bought the three-way service contract with tire, windshield, and paintless dent removal, along with the extended warranty. We had a crack in the Patriot's windshield a couple of years ago and we replaced it, only to have it crack again 2 months later. We just drove it that way until we traded it in.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-05-2017, 12:52 PM

Hi Diane,

Sorry I should have clued in that the spare not having a sensor was the problem.

Definitely get that warranty issue sorted out as soon as possible. Typically they are registered to the vehicle's VIN but perhaps it was recorded incorrectly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in