Remote Start Issue - Page 2 - Jeep Compass Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 39 Old 01-22-2019, 01:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Redmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 166
 
Mine did this today. I started it remotely (heard it start), took a shower and when I got out it was off. I thought it was weird because I wasn't in the shower long. I tried to re-remote start the vehicle and it wouldn't start. When I got outside to my vehicle it had the remote start disabled, start vehicle to reset message was on the dash. The engine was warm (per the temp gage). I have also had the issue where the alarm goes off when I hit the lock door button (without the ignition on). I am NOT a fan of this COMPASS and I went through arbitration after the engine blew at 10,700 miles. Basically I was told that FCA replaced the engine as a courtesy. This is my first and definitely last) FCA product.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
Redmaxx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 39 Old 01-22-2019, 04:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 352
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmaxx View Post
Mine did this today. I started it remotely (heard it start), took a shower and when I got out it was off. I thought it was weird because I wasn't in the shower long. I tried to re-remote start the vehicle and it wouldn't start. When I got outside to my vehicle it had the remote start disabled, start vehicle to reset message was on the dash. The engine was warm (per the temp gage). I have also had the issue where the alarm goes off when I hit the lock door button (without the ignition on). I am NOT a fan of this COMPASS and I went through arbitration after the engine blew at 10,700 miles. Basically I was told that FCA replaced the engine as a courtesy. This is my first and definitely last) FCA product.
To me that sound like you were low on gas. If engine started and heated up (we are talking about ~10mins, the engine shuts off on its own after 15mins), the only reason why it would turn off is either someone tried to open the doors or it got low on gas.
Tripod is online now  
post #33 of 39 Old 01-22-2019, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Redmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 166
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
To me that sound like you were low on gas. If engine started and heated up (we are talking about ~10mins, the engine shuts off on its own after 15mins), the only reason why it would turn off is either someone tried to open the doors or it got low on gas.
The tank was full (just filled it up on Monday), and there were no tracks leading to or from my vehicle in the snow Other than mine from when I parked it yesterday and went from the vehicle into my house.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
Redmaxx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 39 Old 01-22-2019, 05:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 352
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmaxx View Post
The tank was full (just filled it up on Monday), and there were no tracks leading to or from my vehicle in the snow Other than mine from when I parked it yesterday and went from the vehicle into my house.
Yeah you are right, I was checking the manual and all of those have their own error massages (from page 27 of "getting to know your vehicle");

Remote Start Abort Message On The Instrument
Cluster Display — If Equipped

The following messages will display in the instrument
cluster display if the vehicle fails to remote start or exits
remote start prematurely:

• Remote Start Aborted — Door Open
• Remote Start Aborted — Hood Open
• Remote Start Aborted — Fuel Low
• Remote Start Aborted — Liftgate Open
• Remote Start Disabled — Start Vehicle To Reset
• Remote Start Aborted — Too Cold
• Remote Start Aborted — Time Expired

The message will stay active until the ignition is turned to
the ON/RUN position.

Your massage I assume is the 5th one. Its strange that there is no explanation for that message and unlike others, it is a "disabled" massage not "aborted".

Was it cold outside? Electronics of this car behave oddly during startup on cold mornings. Like in my case, lane sense turns off on its own, as if someone pressed the switch for it, there is no error or light, I just get a massage that says lane sense off, exactly as if someone manually tuned it off. If you press back, it turns on back again without any issues and never turns off on its own until the next cold morning.
Tripod is online now  
post #35 of 39 Old 01-22-2019, 05:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Redmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 166
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Yeah you are right, I was checking the manual and all of those have their own error massages (from page 27 of "getting to know your vehicle");

Remote Start Abort Message On The Instrument
Cluster Display If Equipped

The following messages will display in the instrument
cluster display if the vehicle fails to remote start or exits
remote start prematurely:

Remote Start Aborted Door Open
Remote Start Aborted Hood Open
Remote Start Aborted Fuel Low
Remote Start Aborted Liftgate Open
Remote Start Disabled Start Vehicle To Reset
Remote Start Aborted Too Cold
Remote Start Aborted Time Expired

The message will stay active until the ignition is turned to
the ON/RUN position.

Your massage I assume is the 5th one. Its strange that there is no explanation for that message and unlike others, it is a "disabled" massage not "aborted".

Was it cold outside? Electronics of this car behave oddly during startup on cold mornings. Like in my case, lane sense turns off on its own, as if someone pressed the switch for it, there is no error or light, I just get a massage that says lane sense off, exactly as if someone manually tuned it off. If you press back, it turns on back again without any issues and never turns off on its own until the next cold morning.
Was in the teens here this morning (was -4 yesterday). I have had this vehicle since last February and this is the first time I have had an issue with the remote start. Ever since the engine blew I have zero faith in it. I know all vehicle manufacturers have problems, but I never had issues like this with my Fords that I owned. I bought a Compass because I liked having the ability to choose when I want to switch to 4X4 and not have the car do it automatically.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
Redmaxx is offline  
post #36 of 39 Old 01-31-2019, 10:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Redmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 166
 
So it seems that you can't remote start the vehicle more than twice or else the remote start disables itself. It was -12 in Detroit this morning and I remote started the car twice. It wouldn't start a third time. Thanks FCA.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
Redmaxx is offline  
post #37 of 39 Old 01-31-2019, 10:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 49
 
It's related to the start/stop. I have the same issue and the adviser told me it's tied in with the ESS system. They're changing my battery sensor, whenever the part comes in going on 3 weeks now.
Johnadam is offline  
post #38 of 39 Old 02-07-2019, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 6
 
Well it seems my post lives on. I haven't returned here for many months after posting about my remote start issue.

As an update, I never did manage to get the issue resolved. The local dealership did try a few fixes like replacing the alternate battery in the vehicle, updating radio firmware etc

The issue is again beginning to bug me now in the Winter, I'm going to contact the local dealership again and see if they'll take the vehicle and try again.

I am glad to see others posting about similar issues - the only pattern I've found the the remote start not working - is leaving the vehicle stationary for 2-3 days. This triggers the remote start problem and the vehicle won't start remotely.

Anything under two days - remote start works as it should.
Deben is offline  
post #39 of 39 Old 02-07-2019, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmaxx View Post
So it seems that you can't remote start the vehicle more than twice or else the remote start disables itself. It was -12 in Detroit this morning and I remote started the car twice. It wouldn't start a third time. Thanks FCA.
Hi Redmaxx,

Yes that is correct, only two remote starts allowed and the third time will fail.

However, if you for example do two remote starts - drive the vehicle and switch off - then do another remote start later - this example will be fine as the vehicle was driven or moved. It's when you try three continuous remote starts that it will fail. This example is a built in security feature.

The above issue is not the same as the issue I describe in my original post here.

Regards
Deben is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome