Remote Start Issue - Jeep Compass Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 39 Old 02-27-2018, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Remote Start Issue

Hi all,

I purhcased a demo model Jeep Compass 2017 North model (with 127km on it) back in October, here in BC, Canada. It has most of the bells and whistles and I loved the feel/look and drive of the car. The dealership here through in some extra's like studded winter tyre's as well as a spare tyre kit (which has been on "back" order since then/still I have not received this).

Initially I had a problem with the car's stop/start system so I took it into my local dealership (about 200km closer than the bigger dealership I bought it from) and after 2 or 3 visits there they told me that the auxiliary battery for the Start/Stop system is defective and needs to be replaced (all under warranty of course). This was back in December, they ordered the battery but continued to tell me the part is on back order from the manufacturer and there's nothing further they can do until Jeep themselves send them the unit. At the time I also made them aware I have a problem with the remote start which would stop working if I left the vehicle alone for three days or longer. When trying to do a remote start on the third day - no go - the vehicle won't start and the dashboard simply yes "Remote start disabled - start vehicle to reset". I was told this could be linked to the battery.

Finally late in January the dealership told me they have the battery. They installed the battery. The Start/stop system has worked perfectly since then but the remote start problem after three days of leaving the vehicle, still remains. I told them this and they asked me to bring it in.

After keeping my vehicle for 4 days to test this, they confirmed its true and don't know why it does this. They told me they were advised to update the radio in the car as this could affect the remote start somehow. I agreed for them to do it, but they returned my vehicle to me and said that the Jeep website where they download the updates is offline and therefore they cannot perform the required fix. Frustrated by this whole thing, I took my vehicle and left it at that.

It's now end of Feb, I haven't heard back from them and of course my remote start still stops working after the third day of leaving the vehicle stationary. Who do I contact regarding this problem or how can I get this resolved? It seems ridiculous that a registered Jeep dealership cannot escalate a problem like this to a main office and receive support from other Jeep technicians who may have come across this issue before.

Comments please! Thank you all

Edit: The dealership has tried reprogramming the key FOB's (as this issue happens with both FOBs), we checked the battery level on the FOBs, both showed perfect. I also don't believe the problem its a battery issue in the car as the car starts without issue when pushing the dashboard ignition button. Also - the remote start works perfect as normal as long as the vehicle hasn't been sitting for 3 days or longer. Once this "time period" has lapsed, the remote start button ensures that the vehicle honks once and doesn't start. The infamous remote start disabled is then displayed on the dash.

Last edited by Deben; 02-27-2018 at 01:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-27-2018, 03:07 PM

Well, I think you are for some reason avoiding the obvious answer that this is simply how it is designed.

Thats all there is to it. The engineers put a million weird, bizarre rules into the software that governs the entire vehicle and this is one of them. Can't tell you why, because they don't care to ever explain any of it. The dealer cannot tell you why, because FCA does not tell them. FCA chat/email support cannot tell you why, because they don't get told sh!t either. They let these nameless engineers put all this complex programming and huge matrix of conditional rules into the vehicle software, and then they disappear, never to be seen or be asked to explain what they did or why ever again.

None of the support drones us common peasants are able to contact at FCA have any ability to reach out to an actual FCA engineer and ask "Hey, so, we see this interesting behavior and we were just wondering what the reason for it is?" Hence, you won't get any answers. All you can do, is observe and note the behavior and try to work around it. The dealer has absolutely no capability to do any modifications of any sort to this software. The whole software package comes from the FCA engineers, all they are able to do is plug in a cable and install the entire package. No modifications or customizations are possible.

So, it is was it is. You have to just live with it. This is not the only random remote start behavior I have observed. If you spend too much time dinking around after you park, if you take too long to lock it up because you are opening other doors and unloading groceries or something bogus and then you lock it and go to use the remote start the next day, it gives you the same damn "Remote start disabled - start vehicle to reset" crap with no explanation.

Its frustrating but there is nothing we can do.
post #3 of 39 Old 02-27-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Well, I think you are for some reason avoiding the obvious answer that this is simply how it is designed.

Thats all there is to it. The engineers put a million weird, bizarre rules into the software that governs the entire vehicle and this is one of them. Can't tell you why, because they don't care to ever explain any of it. The dealer cannot tell you why, because FCA does not tell them. FCA chat/email support cannot tell you why, because they don't get told sh!t either. They let these nameless engineers put all this complex programming and huge matrix of conditional rules into the vehicle software, and then they disappear, never to be seen or be asked to explain what they did or why ever again.

None of the support drones us common peasants are able to contact at FCA have any ability to reach out to an actual FCA engineer and ask "Hey, so, we see this interesting behavior and we were just wondering what the reason for it is?" Hence, you won't get any answers. All you can do, is observe and note the behavior and try to work around it. The dealer has absolutely no capability to do any modifications of any sort to this software. The whole software package comes from the FCA engineers, all they are able to do is plug in a cable and install the entire package. No modifications or customizations are possible.

So, it is was it is. You have to just live with it. This is not the only random remote start behavior I have observed. If you spend too much time dinking around after you park, if you take too long to lock it up because you are opening other doors and unloading groceries or something bogus and then you lock it and go to use the remote start the next day, it gives you the same damn "Remote start disabled - start vehicle to reset" crap with no explanation.

Its frustrating but there is nothing we can do.
Thanks for that opinion arudlang and whilst it was actually the very first thing I considered, I do believe you are mistaken.

The dealership themselves told me that this should definitely not be happening and that it is not normal behavior. If it were, why is it not happening on all the Jeep Compasses or Jeep vehicles for example?

And why is there not a straight forward answer on Google to this remote start when sitting for too long issue? If it was simply a stock standard feature on these vehicles, I'm sure I'd get a heck of a lot more answers in general as other people would have experienced the same issue.

Furthermore, this completely beats the remote start idea as I now have to walk outside in the snowy cold -10'C weather and go start my car because the remote start feature works intermittently Certainly not normal mate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 02-27-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deben View Post
Thanks for that opinion arudlang and whilst it was actually the very first thing I considered, I do believe you are mistaken.

The dealership themselves told me that this should definitely not be happening and that it is not normal behavior. If it were, why is it not happening on all the Jeep Compasses or Jeep vehicles for example?

And why is there not a straight forward answer on Google to this remote start when sitting for too long issue? If it was simply a stock standard feature on these vehicles, I'm sure I'd get a heck of a lot more answers in general as other people would have experienced the same issue.

Furthermore, this completely beats the remote start idea as I now have to walk outside in the snowy cold -10'C weather and go start my car because the remote start feature works intermittently Certainly not normal mate.
I get what you are saying. But really think of it. How many people out there have the car? 50k. Of those how many sit their cars for 3+ days at a time? Of those how many of them are in range of starting their car (so for example NYC and New Jersey they might go a week without even seeing their car but they also wouldn't be in range to start it). Of those how many live in climates they need to remote start their car? Of those how many are going to care to make a deal out of it, after they realize its just one of those design quirks/decisions that all cars have. Every car I have had behaves completely differently in subtle every day things, even between cars made by the same manufacturer using the same design language. So now you have taken a car that has looking it up, probably a little closer to 70k sales in the US. You nock off probably 60%, for cars that don't set for 3+ days. Then you nock of probably another 10% for cars to far away to remote start. Then you nock of 25% sold in warmer climates of what is left. Then you assume that 1 in 10 people with the issue bring it up. So in the end you have a car that maybe 15k people that even realize this issue. That means that nationwide when also dealing with all the other cars they have sold, maybe just maybe 1.5k people have brought it up. That is only 2% of the cars sold.

But how much of that reaches FCA, maybe a third, with another third being told what arudlang has told you (something annoying that will never get fixed), or another third being told that's normal (with no follow up explanation). Now you are talking about 500 cars having issues "with remote start" or .7% of the cars sold and who knows how many of them FCA even know what they mean by having issues other than not working intermittently.

Obviously my numbers are rudimentary at best. But I always caution people away from assuming that their use case is universal. Also not to assume that problems you see on a forum prove something is bad (like reading the problems thread). Lots of issues but you have to look at the kind of user-base a forum has. One is fans of the vehicle and or company that tend to have had a history with the brands car, forum enthusiast types that happen to get the car (myself), but a lot of normal people that end up on these types of forums are normal people frustrated about something with their vehicles looking to vent, get a solution, or get help when you have that manufacturers CSR as a member (like this one).
arudlang likes this.
post #5 of 39 Old 02-27-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deben
why is it not happening on all the Jeep Compasses?
It is happening on mine, like TopWeasel said not many people are in that position of letting it sit for 3 days for most people these are daily driver cars but the couple of times mine has gone 3+ days without being driven it would not remote start. Its probably only on these *new* second generation Compasses I don't know about the 1st gen models they are different.

If your local dealership was willing to help experiment it would not be hard for them to make a point of waiting 3+ days between starting some of their unsold inventory and then you could prove or disprove the idea that its only your particular Compass that is doing it, but I assume you would find they all do it because I work in the software industry and this is absolutely the kind of thing a programmer would put in there for any given arbitrary reason. Most likely some kind of safety scenario some pencil pusher dreamed up.
post #6 of 39 Old 02-27-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
It is happening on mine, like TopWeasel said not many people are in that position of letting it sit for 3 days for most people these are daily driver cars but the couple of times mine has gone 3+ days without being driven it would not remote start. Its probably only on these *new* second generation Compasses I don't know about the 1st gen models they are different.

If your local dealership was willing to help experiment it would not be hard for them to make a point of waiting 3+ days between starting some of their unsold inventory and then you could prove or disprove the idea that its only your particular Compass that is doing it, but I assume you would find they all do it because I work in the software industry and this is absolutely the kind of thing a programmer would put in there for any given arbitrary reason. Most likely some kind of safety scenario some pencil pusher dreamed up.
Exactly. If I had to guess, I would guess my car also has this "problem". But the most I go through is 2 days sitting and I don't think since I got the car it has sat for more than 36 hours without being started. I need the car so I until I take a staycation I probably won't be able to test this. This is easily a quirk with so little impact that even if I thought it was a defect, I would never take my car in for it. The fact that I understand that this is not a defect, but an annoying design decision would have made me shrug my shoulders about it if I ever ran into it and realized the pattern. It's like my three honk issue when I try to lock the door from the lock button on the handle. I figured out that it was because I was close enough to the door that it thought my fob was still in the car. Figured out that when I attempted to lock the door and it did it three times in a row till I realized I didn't have my fob because it was in the car. It's a quirk that I realize why it is happening now and will possibly adjust my habits to account for it.
post #7 of 39 Old 02-27-2018, 10:20 PM

The fact is you are getting errors and the car is not functioning as it should. Don't settle for "oh, well it was designed by some egghead at FCA HQ who rode off into the sunset". Get a Case Manager with FCA. There's others who have done the same thing for similar and other electrical gremlins this car suffers from. The more of us that bark up FCA's tree, the more of a chance there is that they'll legitimately fix them and allow these cars to be as good as they are when they actually work properly.

I'm fully convinced that those of us experiencing electrical gremlins like your remote start issue or the ESS unavailable Please Service issue are related to the Terminal Chips one other user had replaced. When it drops below 30 degrees F, the housing on these shrink, causing them to lose connection, which then causes all of these systems to register as failed. There's 7 of these chips throughout the car, which also explains why some of these cars have different symptoms, or none at all.

Get the case manager. Push them for a 4WD rental. Even push them to reimburse you for payments. The car's not functioning as it should.
post #8 of 39 Old 03-01-2018, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, if anyone else has any other opinions please feel free to comment.

I hear what you guys have said so far, you may have a point, I still think there'd be some official answer somewhere when I google this but I turn up with very little, which really does point me to thinking that its just my vehicle which does this.

I live on a farm and therefore don't drive out to town or use my Compass every day, therefore when it's cold I really get annoyed by having to walk outside and manually start the vehicle when I purchased a vehicle with remote start for this very reason.

I might go the route of having them give me a loan car, my warranty allows for this so they wouldn't have a choice. Until then, I'd like to hear some other opinions from other motorists too!

I posted a message on Jeep Canada Facebook and they sent me a customer care number to contact. I'll probably give them a call and see what they have to say.

If anyone can test the remote start theory (remote start not working after the Compass has been sitting for 3 days or longer) that would be great.

Thanks in advance!
post #9 of 39 Old 03-04-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandoP71 View Post
The fact is you are getting errors and the car is not functioning as it should. Don't settle for "oh, well it was designed by some egghead at FCA HQ who rode off into the sunset". Get a Case Manager with FCA. There's others who have done the same thing for similar and other electrical gremlins this car suffers from. The more of us that bark up FCA's tree, the more of a chance there is that they'll legitimately fix them and allow these cars to be as good as they are when they actually work properly.

I'm fully convinced that those of us experiencing electrical gremlins like your remote start issue or the ESS unavailable Please Service issue are related to the Terminal Chips one other user had replaced. When it drops below 30 degrees F, the housing on these shrink, causing them to lose connection, which then causes all of these systems to register as failed. There's 7 of these chips throughout the car, which also explains why some of these cars have different symptoms, or none at all.

Get the case manager. Push them for a 4WD rental. Even push them to reimburse you for payments. The car's not functioning as it should.
Brando, I don't think any of us want to minimize legitimate issues. If there is a problem with a system specially like the ESS, or my 4WD system going from working to not working a dozen times a drive. Those have to be fixed. If this remote start system is not the expected attitude of the car after several days of rest, it should be fixed. But as noted this particular issue, no matter the impact it has on this particular purchaser probably has little to do with the terminal chips as those problems are nearly as repeatable. A repeatable issue like this trends to a hard coded setting. If more people notice it, then that just strengthens the point. So I personally just want to prep a person to understand that this maybe (not that it absolutely is) a setting and not an issue. There are dozens of reasons for it. Could be that the receiver goes into a low power mode post several days of rest to limit parasitic draw on the battery so it will last longer. 3 days might not mean much to the battery now, but could after 5 winters. It could be to prevent theft from a dealership if a car is a lot car sitting for 5+ days waiting for a purchaser someone grabbing the keys and trying to remote start it might have a harder time finding it if it doesn't start up (and they wouldn't want to use panic). Some one came up with a list of about a dozen reasons the Auto on/off doesn't work, all for various reasons, it isn't hard to believe that these same guys got together and decided that 3 days was either a long enough period to remote start, or short enough of period to turn it off.

No one is saying don't take it to the dealership. No one is saying don't look into solutions if it doesn't fit the users use case. I am not saying I know what it is and it needs to be ignore. Just saying that as this may get stretched out because the dealer may not know why this happens or may not ever be able to fix it. That the user might want to keep in back of their mind that this maybe an intended function, that they might want to see if they can collect information from other users and people and maybe the dealership itself, to see if this is normal on other cars. If I can test this out I will. I just don't think I'll be in a position where I can. If I can't next weekend it might be months before i'll have another chance.
post #10 of 39 Old 03-05-2018, 02:39 PM

Not sure about the 3 days part, I think it might be even shorter than that. Mine failed to remote start today and it was 42 hours since it was last driven. The outlier here is that when I parked it I was in and out of it about 6 times after shutting it off. Each time I re-locked it when I stepped away but that seems to cause the remote start to disable as well. If anyone wants to try that, park the buggy and lock it and walk away, then come back in 5 minutes like you forgot something, open the drivers door, shut it, lock it again. If you repeat that a couple times, it seems the remote start will not work the next time you try to use it. No explanation of why, same message on the dash that remote start was disable start to reset.

It is dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb, really pissed me off because it snowed 6 inches last night and would have REALLY like for remote start to have worked. But I know nothing is wrong with the vehicle. Clearly it is programmed to be this way for some reason.
post #11 of 39 Old 03-05-2018, 04:33 PM

Garage
We have not noticed any time based remote start failures (BUT it is a daily driver think the longest it has gone sitting has been 2 days)

We have noticed that if any door is partially ajar or the gate that remote start will not work - that seems as intended.

so far so good - knock on wood

grant that ours IS a older body style 2017 Compass - First Gen? still learning...

Proud owners of a new to us certified pre-owned
2017 Jeep Compass 75th Anniversary Sport
post #12 of 39 Old 03-12-2018, 09:24 PM

Mine refused to remote start on Saturday, it had only been about 36-40 hours since I had last driven it. Fairly cold out (hovering around the single digits), it was the usual dash message about remote start being disabled start to reset.

At my friend's advice after it refused to start I went out there, got into the vehicle and checked the battery voltage.

To do this you get inside, press the start button without touching the brake to start up the electronics without starting the engine and then I used the dash cluster info pages to get to the screen that shows battery voltage. My buddy's hypothesis was that I would find my battery voltage to be under 12 volts, and it turned out he was correct the dash indicated that the battery voltage was only 11.6 volts. It *should* be around 12.6 before the engine is started. Despite the low voltage it cranked over and started up just fine, and never got any message or warning about it.

So the theory put forth by my friend was that the longer we let them sit, especially in cold weather, the standby electronics of the vehicle trickle down the battery until its under 12 volts and at that point it will refuse to remote start until the battery is full again (which happens after we get in and drive a ways).

I think he is probably on to something. It doesn't seem like my battery should drop below 12 volts just because it sits for a day or two. The weather is starting to warm up which may mitigate the issue but regardless I am going to keep a close eye on this and see if I can catch it on camera to show to my dealership.

For the OP or anyone else who is encountering the occasional failure to remote start, it only takes a few seconds to do that voltage check if you get in and don't start the engine right away (if you start the engine then the alternator immediately starts charging the battery and the voltage will be 14+ volts). If we can pool our findings together here we can see if perhaps weak batteries could be the culprit behind our fail to remote start woes.
post #13 of 39 Old 03-15-2018, 04:13 PM

So as an update. Friday the 9th at 10PM I parked my car. I did not try to remote start my car till Tuesday 13th at 11AM. So basically 3.5 days. I had no problems remote starting my car. This was not a very cold weekend, it went from 20-40 all weekend.

So two things come to mind. One of the batteries (they have a secondary battery) they are getting supplied are not either A.) a good battery B.) a good cold weather battery. It's entirely possible that it isn't even the battery used for the starting start/stop battery that is dropping down in voltage. Just the system detects the lowest common denominator and decides to not take any chances and refuses to remote start so the car doesn't kill whatever is left trying to start before the driver is ready to leave.

Second is that the cars in question that can't start are having a problem with parasitic draw that is draining the battery while parked and that it's ~ roughly 2-3 days before one of the batteries is drained enough that the voltage drops below the water mark during the sys check before starting.
arudlang likes this.
post #14 of 39 Old 03-26-2018, 05:52 PM

Just a small update to this. Mostly 30-40 this weekend. I was sick starting on Thursday, so till this morning I hadn't been in the car since Wednesday night accept to open and get something I left inside out (on Saturday). So about 4.5 days at rest with a couple minutes of extra drain on the battery, still remote started fine this morning.
arudlang likes this.
post #15 of 39 Old 04-12-2018, 04:29 PM

Emailed this to my dealership this morning, planning to schedule to go in there soon and my expectation is that they will test and find the battery to be bad and replace it. Has steadily been getting worse over the winter.

post #16 of 39 Old 04-13-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Emailed this to my dealership this morning, planning to schedule to go in there soon and my expectation is that they will test and find the battery to be bad and replace it. Has steadily been getting worse over the winter.
Hi arudlang,
We're glad you've been reaching out with this. We understand your desires to have a reliable vehicle and would like to offer out assistance while you are working with your dealer. If this is something that interests you, please feel free to send us a private message with additional details.
Julie
Jeep Social Care Specialist
post #17 of 39 Old 04-18-2018, 06:44 PM

Brought in the Jeep to the service dept. this morning at 8 AM, at 11:45 they gave me the keys to a loaner and said they would need to keep the Compass for potentially a number of days while they trade data with Jeep engineers and hunt for a suspected wiring problem. Sounds like they found a number of codes in the system, mostly about communications issues between the various modules and one for something with the transmission, nothing related specifically to the remote start and they said the batteries seemed to be OK but they pointed out that with all the weird ways things are interconnected and interdependent on these things that its not impossible for other issues to be related to my occasional remote start issues. There are a number of updates they plan to run for several modules as well it sounds like, but there was something odd with the codes and how they were (or weren't) showing up as expected on the tech's computer that seemed to leave them puzzled and thats why they want to keep it and work with an engineer on what they are seeing. They also anticipate it could take some time to hunt down the faulty wire if thats what it turns out to be. They mentioned that depending on how it goes they may even end up with an engineer flying in to check it out in person.

Knowing what I know about computer systems, I see it going either way at this point. It might need an engineer flown in or it just as easily may end up being fixed in the next hour with a "oh, we found a loose wire and that fixed it" type of outcome. Hard to say. Other than the intermittent failure to remote start and the occasional minor gremlin with the locks or Uconnect I really didn't believe it had any issues. It drives just fine, everything pretty much works, nothing seemed amiss to me. Guess I'll let them play with that while I play with this Chrysler 300. Its kinda fun to drive something different, and I really don't feel any anxiety about what will happen to the Jeep because its just a lease, I'm not stuck with it and I'm undecided if I will buy it at the end or try to upgrade to a GC.

I'll let you know how it works out, if its not battery/cold related then I will be able to continue testing the remote start into the warmer months.
post #18 of 39 Old 04-20-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:

Brought in the Jeep to the service dept. this morning at 8 AM, at 11:45 they gave me the keys to a loaner and said they would need to keep the Compass for potentially a number of days while they trade data with Jeep engineers and hunt for a suspected wiring problem. Sounds like they found a number of codes in the system, mostly about communications issues between the various modules and one for something with the transmission, nothing related specifically to the remote start and they said the batteries seemed to be OK but they pointed out that with all the weird ways things are interconnected and interdependent on these things that its not impossible for other issues to be related to my occasional remote start issues. There are a number of updates they plan to run for several modules as well it sounds like, but there was something odd with the codes and how they were (or weren't) showing up as expected on the tech's computer that seemed to leave them puzzled and thats why they want to keep it and work with an engineer on what they are seeing. They also anticipate it could take some time to hunt down the faulty wire if thats what it turns out to be. They mentioned that depending on how it goes they may even end up with an engineer flying in to check it out in person.

Knowing what I know about computer systems, I see it going either way at this point. It might need an engineer flown in or it just as easily may end up being fixed in the next hour with a "oh, we found a loose wire and that fixed it" type of outcome. Hard to say. Other than the intermittent failure to remote start and the occasional minor gremlin with the locks or Uconnect I really didn't believe it had any issues. It drives just fine, everything pretty much works, nothing seemed amiss to me. Guess I'll let them play with that while I play with this Chrysler 300. Its kinda fun to drive something different, and I really don't feel any anxiety about what will happen to the Jeep because its just a lease, I'm not stuck with it and I'm undecided if I will buy it at the end or try to upgrade to a GC.

I'll let you know how it works out, if its not battery/cold related then I will be able to continue testing the remote start into the warmer months.
Hi arudlang,
We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and are glad to hear that you are already working with your dealer to find a remedy on this. We would like to offer our assistance, if needed. If this is something you are interested in, please send us a PM with your VIN, mileage and servicing dealer.
Julie
Jeep Social Care Specialist
post #19 of 39 Old 04-29-2018, 03:28 PM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
Well, I joined the "Remote Start Club" this morning.

Since it snowed a bit overnight (Yes, I'm in Canada!) I decided to "remote start" my 2017 Compass Trailhawk this morning as I was leaving the house. Opening the door to go out I could hear that it was NOT running! I tried again as I approached the car and it would not start!

I used the passive key entry, jumped in, put my foot on the brake and pressed the start, and it fired right up.

Drove to the coffee shop where it sat for about an hour. Leaving the coffee shop I decided to try and "remote start" it again, as I approached the car. It started!
I used the passive entry to get in, put my foot on the brake to start the car, and it DIED. The "Check Engine" light came on and the car WOULD NOT START! The radio was working as was the defroster.

Nothing I could do could make it start! I put my seatbelt on. I opened and closed the driver's door ........ several times. I turned off the radio and the defroster. NOTHING! NO START!

This was a Demo, and I've only had it about 10 days. Only has 5,000kms on it too!

After about 10 minutes it started again!

I'm wondering if it locked up, as a security issue, because I didn't use the key fob to unlock the driver's door?

I figured I was going to have to get it towed! There was nothing I could see in the Owners Manual, while I was impatiently waiting.

Anyone else have this happen?
post #20 of 39 Old 04-30-2018, 02:13 PM

Mine always starts when I get in it, no issues like that so far. I am supposed to be able to pick up my Compass later today, they say they replaced on "module" and updated several others so we'll see if it behaves any differently. By the sounds of it the battery voltage issue was probably dismissed by them so I think I am still going to have to keep an eye on that and see if drain-down overnight is an issue, hopefully it won't be.

I've been enjoying the 300S loaner but I'm eager to get my jeep back, its been almost two weeks and the inability to haul large items or pull my trailer has been a significant inconvenience. The 300 horsepower has been nice though!
post #21 of 39 Old 01-04-2019, 05:36 AM

I bought my 2017 Jeep Compass Trailhawk in October 2018 so I have only had it for about 3 months. I live in Utah and about month after I got the car I had an issue with the remote start after it had sat over the weekend for a few days. The weather at that time was still pretty mild nothing too extreme. So I thought it may have had something to do with the fact that I had not driven it for a couple of days. But I still thought that was weird. My husband has a 2010 Jeep Wrangler and he said the only time he has had issues is if the gas tank is almost empty and another time when one of the doors was not shut all of the way. I had plenty of gas and since then I make sure that all of my doors are shut tight when I get home at night. But since that first time. I have had this happen off and on about dozen times total over the last 2 months and there is no rhyme or reason to it. It is fine for a few days and then some mornings it just doesn't remote start. The horn honks only once instead of the 2 quick chirps when it does work. Then nothing. I will try and lock and unlock the doors I get closer to the back door and it just wont start. I was thinking that it might be because the temperature has dropped a lot in the last few weeks. But yesterday morning it was 17 degrees and it remote started just fine and I had about a 1/4 tank of gas. Then after work yesterday, I stopped to fill up the tank. Then this morning it was about 18 degrees it had been about 14 hours and I took the FOB close to the back door and it only honked once and did not start. So anyway, after reading all of the above messages it appears that this is a really random problem. There doesn't seem to be a pattern of any kind. The closest guess that I think may be a possibility is the battery being low. But it is a guess. I will be contact the dealership soon. I will let you all know what they say.
post #22 of 39 Old 01-04-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripurr View Post
I bought my 2017 Jeep Compass Trailhawk in October 2018 so I have only had it for about 3 months. I live in Utah and about month after I got the car I had an issue with the remote start after it had sat over the weekend for a few days. The weather at that time was still pretty mild nothing too extreme. So I thought it may have had something to do with the fact that I had not driven it for a couple of days. But I still thought that was weird. My husband has a 2010 Jeep Wrangler and he said the only time he has had issues is if the gas tank is almost empty and another time when one of the doors was not shut all of the way. I had plenty of gas and since then I make sure that all of my doors are shut tight when I get home at night. But since that first time. I have had this happen off and on about dozen times total over the last 2 months and there is no rhyme or reason to it. It is fine for a few days and then some mornings it just doesn't remote start. The horn honks only once instead of the 2 quick chirps when it does work. Then nothing. I will try and lock and unlock the doors I get closer to the back door and it just wont start. I was thinking that it might be because the temperature has dropped a lot in the last few weeks. But yesterday morning it was 17 degrees and it remote started just fine and I had about a 1/4 tank of gas. Then after work yesterday, I stopped to fill up the tank. Then this morning it was about 18 degrees it had been about 14 hours and I took the FOB close to the back door and it only honked once and did not start. So anyway, after reading all of the above messages it appears that this is a really random problem. There doesn't seem to be a pattern of any kind. The closest guess that I think may be a possibility is the battery being low. But it is a guess. I will be contact the dealership soon. I will let you all know what they say.
What happens if you press on the remote start button the first honk? You need to make two firm presses on the remote start button, not two quick ones. If you press two quickly, it will register just as one and you will here just one honk. I wait to hear the first honk before pressing the button for the second time, that triggers the second honk and the engine start. Normally, if the remote start fails, it lists the reason next time you start the car( a massage saying "remote start aborted...."). The fact that you are not getting any info from the car about why it failed to start makes me think you are either mistiming the presses or there is something wrong with the fob itself. try the spare remote if you have that.

Last edited by Tripod; 01-04-2019 at 06:55 AM.
post #23 of 39 Old 01-04-2019, 09:59 PM

Garage
I turned off the audible honk to avoid annoying the neighbors so it only flashes the lights. My remote start doesn't have good a range above 20 feet either as I could not start it from the 2nd floor office with a direct view to my car. I also noticed that it will not remote start if you are low on fuel, have an engine light on, etc. It's not as nice as the higher end model (ie. Grand Cherokee) with a mobile phone starting app.
post #24 of 39 Old 01-05-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcom View Post
I turned off the audible honk to avoid annoying the neighbors so it only flashes the lights. My remote start doesn't have good a range above 20 feet either as I could not start it from the 2nd floor office with a direct view to my car. I also noticed that it will not remote start if you are low on fuel, have an engine light on, etc. It's not as nice as the higher end model (ie. Grand Cherokee) with a mobile phone starting app.
You can start a Compass with the mobile phone using the uconnect app if it has the navigation package.
post #25 of 39 Old 01-05-2019, 02:09 AM

Dear Tripod, thanks for the reply. I have been doing what you suggested. I push the button once then pause then push it again. I hear 1 honk then another honk an usually it starts. But for some reason on occasion when I do it the exact same way, it will only honk once and it doesn't start. I have also tried the spare. This morning it also started just fine. But everytime I think it is fixed then it will happen again. So I am going to take it in to the dealer that I bought if from the happens to be a Jeep Chrysler Dodge dealership and see what they can make of this. I will post the results on here once we get an answer. Thank you again.
post #26 of 39 Old 01-05-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripurr View Post
Dear Tripod, thanks for the reply. I have been doing what you suggested. I push the button once then pause then push it again. I hear 1 honk then another honk an usually it starts. But for some reason on occasion when I do it the exact same way, it will only honk once and it doesn't start. I have also tried the spare. This morning it also started just fine. But everytime I think it is fixed then it will happen again. So I am going to take it in to the dealer that I bought if from the happens to be a Jeep Chrysler Dodge dealership and see what they can make of this. I will post the results on here once we get an answer. Thank you again.
No problem. I hope they can figure out the issue.
post #27 of 39 Old 01-07-2019, 08:48 PM

Hi! So, I feel your pain. I have a 2017 Jeep Compass trailhawk and I’m having the same issue. After second or third day , beeps once , then nothing . Really annoying .
I was wondering do you had your remote start issue fixed . And if you can tell what the heck is going on. My dealer can’t fogurw it out either .
I also have an issue with the temp control. It’s -8• right now . Yes , chilly ! I started my car when inthe grocery store today, care out and AC on full blast . Mind you my heated seats and steering wheel were blazing hot . No , I did not have the ac on prior to turning the car off . As I said , it’s freaking -8•
I’ve had the car for 5 months and I’m bummed .
post #28 of 39 Old 01-09-2019, 12:47 PM

Ever since they replaced my body control module the remote start has been extremely reliable. Obviously we went through the summer I did not use it as much but I did use it off and on to get the air conditioning started. Nevertheless, I still have occasional electrical gremlins but nowhere near as bad as before.

Now when my car sits for 2 or more days in the cold the remote start still works but I often get in to be greeted by a "Stop/Start Unavailable Service Stop/Start System" message. I ignore this message and drive to work, and the message is always gone by the next drive cycle. Typically I get these messages on a Monday if the car sat all weekend and we didn't go anywhere. The car is parked outside (not in a garage).

Near as I can guess, the auxiliary battery is just weak and drains down over the weekend, resulting in the message, and after driving it to work it charges up and its okay unless/until it sits a few days again. I have been documenting this by taking pictures of the dash message with my phone as it happens. I have the date set to display in the upper right-hand portion of the cluster so when I'm finally annoyed enough I am just going to print out a dozen pictures all with the dates on them and bring them to the dealer and say "hey, aux battery seems to be weak, please replace!".

My main battery is also weak but has not been causing me any grief lately. We'll see what happens now that we are getting into true winter time. I have half a mind to get the sizes for these batteries and go out and buy my own out of pocket. That way maybe I can get some GOOD batteries that don't suck. FCA seems to be using the cheapest most marginal bats available. Before I would go buy any I would perhaps attach some leads to the two batteries and run them discreetly out the hood so I can actually check the voltages with my multimeter over the course of a stay-at-home weekend and confirm my suspicions.

Anyways those of you still having the remote start issue, when it fails to start check the main battery voltage on the dash before starting the car, like I talked about above. When its below a certain point it will refuse to start via remote. If your battery is consistently under 12 volts thats a pretty good clue and should be enough for any dealership tech with half a brain. Set the date to display in the cluster (if you have that option) and take pictures with your phone to document, show them a little album when you go in and they will figure it out. You should bring them some evidence because by the time you drive to the dealer your battery will be recharged and it will pass their tests at the time until it sits for a while in the cold again.
post #29 of 39 Old 01-09-2019, 06:20 PM
Subscribing Member

[QUOTE=arudlang;145779]My main battery is also weak but has not been causing me any grief lately. We'll see what happens now that we are getting into true winter time. I have half a mind to get the sizes for these batteries and go out and buy my own out of pocket. That way maybe I can get some GOOD batteries that don't suck. FCA seems to be using the cheapest most marginal bats available. Before I would go buy any I would perhaps attach some leads to the two batteries and run them discreetly out the hood so I can actually check the voltages with my multimeter over the course of a stay-at-home weekend and confirm my suspicions.

I have been having the exact same issues with the battery and the auto start/stop. If I hook up a trickle charger when the car sits over the weekend, the start/stop works as advertised without the "battery charging" notice.
I, too, have been thinking about just buying a better battery and thought maybe just replacing the auxiliary battery would solve the problem. However, I've been unable to figure out the group size for it. If anyone knows the group size for the auxiliary battery, I would appreciate you sharing the information.
arudlang likes this.
post #30 of 39 Old 01-09-2019, 09:40 PM

Garage
I believe all the 2nd gen Compasses are possessed. I pushed the remote start this morning when it was 29F and nothing happened. After 3 minutes I checked and didn't hear it running. I activated remote start again and it works.

It's the same way with every electronic equipment on this car. It only works when it wants to.

Sometimes my climate control shuts off or go to HI/LO (3X now after the "update") Sometimes the Uconnect doesn't respond to any button press (twice now). Sometimes the dash doesn't dim when it's dark outside (twice). Sometimes U connect goes into 'Phone' mode via Bluetooth without being activated (once so far) Sometimes the lock button on the door handle doesn't lock the door but only activate the alarm (3X now)
Sometimes touching the door handle unlock just the driver's door sometimes it unlock all doors (5X so far) It's set to only unlock driver's door.

All it needs now is to stall on the railroad track with a train coming and all the door handles stop working.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in