gas pump always shuts off - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Snow White

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 05-21-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Question gas pump always shuts off

I guess it's a ESIM, another module.
Googling I found there was a full tank replacement recent recall for newer Patriot, the same issues. Can't find the recall ID to check if it's related.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/questio...ways-shuts-off
Any clues before a service visit?
Where to find history of previous recalls?

Last edited by asakaze; 05-23-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-22-2018, 02:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asakaze View Post
I guess it's a ESIM, another module.
Googling I found there was a full tank replacement recent recall for newer Patriot, the same issues. Can't find the recall ID to check if it's related.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/questio...ways-shuts-off
Any clues before a service visit?
Where to find history of previous recalls?
I had the same problem with my 2017 Compass Limited. When I would try to fill up the tank, the gas pump nozzle would click/stop as if the tank was full when it was not. I ended up going to the dealership to have it checked out. They found a bad check valve in the filler neck, so they replaced the entire filler neck. No mention of a recall on it.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-22-2018, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
I had the same problem with my 2017 Compass Limited. When I would try to fill up the tank, the gas pump nozzle would click/stop as if the tank was full when it was not. I ended up going to the dealership to have it checked out. They found a bad check valve in the filler neck, so they replaced the entire filler neck. No mention of a recall on it.
Thanks, any part number ID would help too.

Seriously, I mean, should I be worried if bumped from back?
Those fuel tank + jeep recalls google results doesn't look happy
Quote:
FCA initially refused NHTSAís request to recall 2.7 million Jeeps, saying they didnít pose a safety risk. At the time, NHSTA said that by locating the gasoline tank between the axle and the bumper, rather than in front of the axle, the company made the vehicles less safe.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...hs-into-recall

~Small Jeep with Big-Benz heart~
2014 Compass CRD 2.2 Limited, Tuned & Debadged
MB DOHC 16v I4 twin-turbo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
@
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
@
;
235/55R17 @
8Jx17 ET35;
@

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-22-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asakaze
Seriously, I mean, should I be worried if bumped from back?
In short, no.

Honestly that's a dumb question... Do you think with all the regulation and testing and engineering that goes into designing and manufacturing vehicles (not to mention all the Ford Pinto jokes in the world) that its even remotely possible that ANYONE would produce a vehicle with a blatantly unsafe gas tank location or design? I'm not even sure how you arrived at this starting from a minor issue with filling up at the gas pump...

There, got my crabbiness out of my system for the morning hopefully now I can go be nice to people
post #5 of 11 Old 05-23-2018, 02:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asakaze View Post
Thanks, any part number ID would help too.
Here is the info from my service paperwork. The part number is on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6F3651E1-F836-4110-8C9B-FEF4BD2EBD9C.jpg (37.7 KB, 11 views)
asakaze likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-23-2018, 12:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
In short, no.

Honestly that's a dumb question... Do you think with all the regulation and testing and engineering that goes into designing and manufacturing vehicles (not to mention all the Ford Pinto jokes in the world) that its even remotely possible that ANYONE would produce a vehicle with a blatantly unsafe gas tank location or design? I'm not even sure how you arrived at this starting from a minor issue with filling up at the gas pump...

There, got my crabbiness out of my system for the morning hopefully now I can go be nice to people

well there was a recall for the liberty because the tank could rupture in a rear end collisions.
the fix was to install a tow hitch

2018 Compass Latitude
post #7 of 11 Old 05-23-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram4x4
there was a recall for the liberty because the tank could rupture in a rear end collisions.
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

1) The Liberty is a totally different vehicle that is no longer in production,

2) The models that had that recall are more than 10 years old.

3) I thought this was about issues with the pumps clicking off prematurely in the filler neck anyways?

Do you think they are such airheads at FCA that when they were building, I mean, engineering the all-new Compass, 10 years later, that they just grabbed the blueprints for the one part of the Jeep Liberty that cost them millions of dollars in recall expenses and unwittingly slapped that onto our MPs?

Don't be silly.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-23-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
3) I thought this was about issues with the pumps clicking off prematurely in the filler neck anyways?

Quote:
There is a recall on some newer models of the Patriot for this exact problem you are having and the dealer is replacing defective tanks.
That guy Jay the mech, mentioned the recall for the same issue practically on the same car, Patriot is the same Chrysler platform as Compass. Replacing defective tanks. DEFECTIVE. Period.

The second link about Liberty, well, it's even bigger car with the fuel tank being put between the axle and the bumper. Ofc it made me think about my fuel tank whereabouts around the axle. Absolutely logical. I'm kinda rather thinker than believer especially if I had a rear end collision 2 days ago. Minor bump, diesel here anyways, just a touch but a memorable situation anyways to connect with these "defective fuel tanks" calls and recalls...

There should be some recall history online archive or not?
Many thanks @Snow White for the heads up. Appreciated the scan.

@arudlang = A RUDe LANGuage? rly? what are you, a trol??
You are not contributing to this topic in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang
Honestly that's a dumb question
Rule no1 about thinking not believing is:
There're no dumb questions, only dumb answers.
So take a chill pill pal
post #9 of 11 Old 05-24-2018, 12:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

1) The Liberty is a totally different vehicle that is no longer in production,

2) The models that had that recall are more than 10 years old.

Do you think they are such airheads at FCA that when they were building, I mean, engineering the all-new Compass, 10 years later, that they just grabbed the blueprints for the one part of the Jeep Liberty that cost them millions of dollars in recall expenses and unwittingly slapped that onto our MPs?

Don't be silly.
i was replying to your info about unsafe tanks.
mistakes happen. the liberty recall was not for years after release (6 or 7 iirc) so things are not known right away

2018 Compass Latitude
post #10 of 11 Old 05-24-2018, 03:05 PM

I know where the confusion comes in, I am only ever talking about or interested in the 2nd gen Compass (MP platform), I friggin HATE the old Compass and I wish we had our own forum just for the new one, but thats my mindset so it didn't even occur to me that the OP would be talking about the older junk models. My bad. My advice is to get the new one. I'm certain there are no issues with the placement of the gas tanks in the MP :P

Also, long story short all you EVER have to do is stop into your dealership with your VIN # on a sticky note and they can definitively tell you anything about any recall ever that includes that VIN. Don't go asking the internet for info while 1) not telling us your year or model and 2) worrying about different platform vehicle issues. I don't know what you think you are going to find on the internet that will supersede dealership info, because what their computer tells them about your VIN is all you are going to get out of them anyways.

Yes I am rude this is how I am able to walk and talk like a normal happy person in the real world, I dump all my frustration and terse words here in the forum and sip coffee until I fee better =D
post #11 of 11 Old 05-25-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

^dude, just out of context here, but I am too curious not to ask... Why would anyone like to trade Mercedes for a Fiat in the first place??

~Small Jeep with Big-Benz heart~
2014 Compass CRD 2.2 Limited, Tuned & Debadged
MB DOHC 16v I4 twin-turbo
@
;
@
;
235/55R17 @
8Jx17 ET35;
@

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in