2007 Compass horn removal - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 08-09-2018, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

2007 Compass horn removal

I need to replace the horn switch under the driver air bag cover but I can't see how to remove the air bag cover? Does anyone know the trick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-19-2018, 05:15 PM

Garage
I have some ideas . . .

Good day.

I'm about to go out and do this myself. The part you will need is called a clock spring.

First and foremost, disconnect the battery. I've heard it suggested a time of at least 30 minutes. If not, there's a good chance the air bag could go off.

Second, I don't have the actual YouTube links, just the saved videos, but if you do a search out on YouTube you will find them. Also, if you buy a used clock spring, then pay attention to a video on orientating it. From what I'm seeing, the Patriot is fairly compatible with the Compass in may ways (that's how I learned to remove the front bumper/grill).

Now, before you start tearing in to things, have you checked to see if the horn works by using the remote? I can get the horn to honk when I either lock the doors or hit the panic button - thus the reason for me now heading to a clock spring replacement.

Also, there is no horn fuse by itself or with another component, listed in any documentation I've found.

If you don't have a horn using the remote, you might want to check the relay box. You'll want to remove the bumper and grill, again, YouTube is your friend. It's not hard at all, just be aware that the connectors on the back of the bulbs can be difficult to remove and the wiring is short. You'll need to open the red tab on the socket, most likely with a flat blade screwdriver and then get the sockets off.

The relay box is directly behind the horn. There are either four or five relays, no documentation. I took all of mine out and checked with a volt meter and by switching them out. Again, that's if the horn does not work by using the remote. If it does, don't bother with pulling the front plastic - a waste of time unless you just want the experience.

Also, don't forget to check the individual fuses in the fuse box. I simply applied power but didn't start the vehicle and checked each of the mini-blade fuses with a volt meter - all showed alive. The other types of fuses I didn't touch.

Please let me know how it goes. Best of success - Bruce
post #3 of 4 Old 09-19-2018, 08:45 PM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben07 View Post
I need to replace the horn switch under the driver air bag cover but I can't see how to remove the air bag cover? Does anyone know the trick?
The trick? .....................Take it to the dealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-19-2018, 08:49 PM

Garage
I took me about 30 minutes to pull the clock spring and should take me that long or less to put it back in. The only problem I've found is the number is an old number, and the current one the dealership gave me is not matching what I see online. If you're interested, I'll tell you the new part number. BTW, the part at my local dealership was over $300 (inc. tax). So if they did it, I'd probably be looking at around $500+ for costs and who knows how long in the shop. Just a thought for you.

Now, if they "diagnose" anything else, just keep the plastic out and keep paying.

I'm not saying I'm correct in the clockspring, but it's the most logical thing to look at, along with the radio buttons.

Later - Bruce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in