2nd Gen Rear Fuse Block Confusion - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By arudlang

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 09-18-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Question 2nd Gen Rear Fuse Block Confusion

Hoping some smart people can take a look here and see if they can make sense of this.

We are talking about the fuse/power distribution block at the rear passenger side of the Compass, underneath the tray:

I have compared this to the descriptions given in my book and found information lacking and inconsistent with what I see in my particular Compass. I have also checked the online books for 2018 and they are slightly different than my book in terms of page numbers and such but still inconsistent. Just for reference here is a photo from my actual book:

And here are some annotated pictures to go along with the issues I will describe below:

Ooooooooooooooook, so,

First and foremost, perhaps least importantly, I noticed the two fuse blocks seem to be in the wrong places. The book says block #1 should be closest to the rear of the vehicle, and that is not what I see. The 2018 book shows the picture I screenshot and embedded in the photo above and based on that I'd say my block #1 is not only in the wrong place but also is upside down. This is more weird than it is actual concern. I'm wondering if its just mine or if others have their fuse blocks laid out this way as well?

Second, block #1 has two relays which the book does not show or describe. Anyone know what they are for?

Third, in my block #1 I have a 30 Amp fuse in F3, which is supposed to be for the power sun roof according to the book. Thats cool... except that I do NOT HAVE the sunroof. Black painted hard-top. So why would I have a fuse here? What is this fuse ACTUALLY for???

Fourth, now looking at block #2, I only have half of the fuses described by the book. I do not have the 10 amp fuses in slots F1 ("Controller Exterior Lighting On Trailer") nor do I have F7 ("TTM Jumper Battery Feed"). What gives? All my trailer lights work properly despite this.

Are anyone else's rear fuse blocks laid out wonky like this? Anyone's book show anything different or more information?

I find FCA's choices here very bizarre, half of the functions of these fuses are all the way up at the front and there are already two other fuse boxes (under the dash and under the hood), why run stuff like the heated steering wheel all the heck way back here? Why are rear-based functions like the rear 12V power port fused way up under the hood instead of in this box? Just seems dumb dumb dumb, but I digress...

I would like to know exactly what everything here is for,
1) just to know for general troubleshooting purposes if say the power seat quits working some day, and
2) I'd maybe like to be able to add on a little tap for power for some future accessory some day, according to the book 40 amps of fused power is ran back here from the battery and a lot of it only very intermittently used like the power seat/lumbar/inverter/etc. If a person wanted to tap power for something small like a dashcam DVR or a trailer brake controller this could be a good place to do it potentially, but without a wiring diagram its a little tough and when the basic information doesn't even match the book, its unpleasant...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-18-2018, 09:59 PM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
Seems to be a lot of fuse block issues with these vehicles.

I had an issue with the fuse block in the engine compartment, not having a cover on it. The dealership agreed to order one, and then after looking at a new one on the lot they decided to order a complete new fuse block! Apparently my "original" fuse block had a terminal "without" a nut holding it on. The new replacement block they installed doesn't even have the terminal on it now! WTF.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-19-2018, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Darn Italians (FCA), throwing wires together willy-nilly like its a bowl of spaghetti!
10-64 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-01-2018, 08:49 PM
KRB

Garage
There has been some confusion over some new Compass having a 150A fuse that is secured with a bolt and nut, some with just a bolt, some with no bolt, and some without the fuse altogether. I am not sure what was ever found out about this issue, but check back to some of the older forums and see if this is what you are referring to.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-02-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRB View Post
There has been some confusion over some new Compass having a 150A fuse that is secured with a bolt and nut, some with just a bolt, some with no bolt, and some without the fuse altogether. I am not sure what was ever found out about this issue, but check back to some of the older forums and see if this is what you are referring to.
Different than what I am pointing out (at the back of the compass / rear fuse blocks) but might be what 10-64 was referring to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in