Possible electric problem? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 06-11-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Possible electric problem?

We picked a 2008 JEEP COMPASS from a auction recently. Towed it home. Started it up and sounds alright but 9 engine codes and electrical light and engine lights on the dash. Codes are (OBD II U0416
OBD-II Code Diagonostic Trouble Code is defined as a Invalid Data Received From Vehicle Dynamics Control Module) (Code #U1120 Lost WheelDistance) (U1110 - SCP Invalid or Missing Data for Primary Id) (Code P0700 Definition Transmission Control System Malfunction. Code P0700 Meaning
Many cars have a control module for the automatic transmission called the transmission control module (TCM). The TCM monitors the sensors and actuators relating to transmission control and communicates with the Engine Control Module (ECM) to inform it of any possible issues with the automatic transmission control module. The trouble code P0700 is set whenever the TCM detects a malfunction with the transmission controls.) (P0843 Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor / Switch A Circuit High) (P167A JEEP - Calibration Mismatch Repair Importance Level: Transmission Control Module (TCM) Relearn Procedure Not Performed) (Code U0121 stands for Lost Communication with Anti-lock Brake System Module.) (P0730 Mean?
“Transmission Control System Malfunction” is the definition of OBD-II Trouble Code P0730.
By automatically selecting different “speeds” or gear ratios to deliver power to the wheels, an automatic transmission’s goal is to match the optimal torque and power characteristics of the engine to the desired speed and rate of acceleration of the driver. When the TCM (or transmission control module) sees an RPM difference (rotational speed) between the transmission output RPM sensor and input RPM sensor that is greater than a certain value, the P0730 code is triggered. This can happen while shifting between gears or when driving at a steady speed in a particular gear.) (P0777 Pressure Control Solenoid B Stuck On) Anways sorry for all the reading. We are thinking the TCM maybe we need a new one or a update or a calibration to the vehicle. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-11-2019, 12:22 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Since the 1st Gen Compass and the Patriot were sister vehicles, maybe this will help you.

At around 200,000 miles I was having electrical problems with my 2008 Patriot -- mostly an intermittent battery rundown, but it was also messing up some of the dash indicators. Turned out to be a bad engine harness. For me, the bad spot was was a corroded spot in the wiring harness directly beneath the battery. It was a $1000 repair, but once done I got another 80,000 miles out of it without problems.

I can't say that's where your problem is, but its a place to start looking.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-12-2019, 01:42 PM

Not to be rude but like... do you have any sort of mechanical and automotive-electrical inclination whatsoever? Its just sort of a bad sign to me if all you've managed to do so far is to read some error codes and paste them into the forum here along with some copy-pasted generic stuff about those errors from Google. If this is your first car or your first car you've ever tried to work on then I somewhat understand, but you need to understand that folks on a free forum can't hold your hand start-to-finish on nine computer error codes.

For starters, I hope you towed it home properly. (Where those error codes there before you towed it?) Depending on whether its a 4x4 you would have had to have all four wheels off the ground on a trailer to avoid damaging the transmission. Its just suspicious since so many of your codes are transmission related. If you thought you could just flat-tow it in neutral you are possibly hosed right there. If somebody flat-towed it to auction before you got it, you might've just straight up made a bad purchase. The Compasses in 08 had somewhat problematic transmissions to start with.

Whenever there is a rash of computer errors all at once you have to assert whether the base 12v electrical system is working properly first, because car computers can get very angry when they don't get proper voltage causing them to throw a tantrum of errors that may not actually be issues, causing you to chase your tail for a long time. You need to unplug the battery for a good 5-10 minutes, check that it is charged, plug it back in, check for shorts to ground, start it up and check that the alternator is charging, shut it back down. Clear all codes with your code reader then unplug the battery for a while again. Any "real" codes will come back on a test drive after that, and then you will know where you really sit with it.

If there are still a pile of transmission-related codes at that point you are going to need guidance from a local mechanically-inclined person in your life (or haul it to a shop). The transmission is not a very good area for beginners if you truly do have bad pressure sensors and solenoids, as the current codes indicate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-12-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Well we had it placed on our car trailer so no towing. We hauled it. We have already un hooked the battery after clearing codes. Once you start back up these codes come on. We know it is a electrical problem. No bad fuses and no bad grounds or anything shorting out that we can find. Read a lot online going wrong with the computers in these jeeps. Needing updates or downright just stop working. We are very mechanically inclined though not much time at the moment to really dig through the car to find the problem. We own a dealership and have many other things going on at the moment. So just trying to save some time and money. If the transmission has problems they are not very hard to fix either.

Last edited by Isaiah Anderson; 06-12-2019 at 03:06 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-12-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

1000 dollars for a wiring harness? If that's the case we have a couple cars we can steal one fro. If we find a bad wire.
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM

So you have a couple codes that actually talk about physical parts, a pressure sensor and a solenoid, if I were you I'd try to identify those parts and assert that the wiring to them is good, maybe replace them outright if they are cheap enough. Swapping in a used TCM from a auto parts recycling place might be a good step, I'd probably start with whatever is cheaper out of those things. I don't know if one can simply "swap" a TCM on the 2008, it may need to be programmed for your particular vehicle, not sure.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 02:56 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah Anderson View Post
1000 dollars for a wiring harness? If that's the case we have a couple cars we can steal one fro. If we find a bad wire.
That price included diagnosis and installation. AYK, finding electrical problems can be tedious and time-consuming. It was in several times for the battery run-down and the dealer couldn't duplicate the problem and didn't charge me for the unproductive visits. While I've learned a lot about cars over the years, I haven't done much of my own work, other than plugs, LOFs, belts and hoses. I wouldn't take on an electrical problem other than replacing bulbs or once splicing some wires after a deer strike.

When it comes to trouble shooting, I figure the dealer sees a lot of these vehicles and my dealer had a guy that specialized in electrical problems. The persistent run-down also burned out the alternator and wrecked two batteries before they found the problem. The alternator and battery were original and probably ready to die anyway; they replaced the second battery for free because it was only a couple weeks old and was tortured to death by the repeated run-downs (I carried a battery-pack for a month cuz I never knew when it would be dead).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
The Compasses in 08 had somewhat problematic transmissions to start with.
True. My '08 Patriot had the same CVT as the Compass and it was replaced twice, first at 110,000 miles and the second at 270,000 miles. Fortunately, in '08 they were giving free lifetime warranties so FCA replaced both my trannies free for nothin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
The transmission is not a very good area for beginners if you truly do have bad pressure sensors and solenoids, as the current codes indicate.
On the other hand, the CVT is so simple that doesn't have much to go wrong with it, and when it does fail there's nothing that's practically repairable. If the transmission isn't slipping or making weird noises, Isaiah might not have a terminal problem. With that many miles I'd first guess it is an electrical problem throwing all those codes. However, you're right: an amateur like me isn't likely to make an accurate diagnosis based on an internet post. I'm just suggesting a place for him look.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in