Replacing an Alternator or ADP - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tripplec

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 08-15-2011, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Replacing an Alternator or ADP

This is an excellent video for alternator issue new to many of us. Apparently the ADP now on our alternators are a wear item requiring replacement. The trick it to get the right one. Simply pulling one off a different vehicle may not work or work right if the engine/year is different because of the ADP specifications. Knowing that a new alternator has the correct ADP is a big problem to determine at this time in my research.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrFcP...eature=related
gizdawg likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-16-2011, 03:17 AM

Garage
good video, since we're on the topic of alternators. here is a high output 165amp one i found via the internets

CALIBER SEBRING AVENGER PATRIOT COMPASS HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR - HIGH Output Alternators for Chrysler Dodge Jeep Eagle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #3 of 7 Old 08-16-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Shecky: Great for those need mega Amps for the mega stereo amp...

My electrical load is stock and occassional 12V/115 plugged into the built in outlets. I had a look and searched for the alternator removal which I only found one attacking it from underneath the compass. Its pretty crowded and runing another #4 wire to be free and clear of everything there can be very tricky. You definitely want to get that right if someone is going to try it along with the 100amp fuse they show installed.

You can pickup a slightly used alternator on eBay under $100 it seems. Looks like wrecked Compass's and Calibre's. The don't survive front end collisions and written off. Hmmm, I know the whole a/c system is in the courner and one clip and no a/c.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-16-2011, 01:17 PM

Garage
but keep in mind there are 2 different stock alternator options, but i dont know of a way to tell which one is in a compass. could be a part of an option package such as tow packages, the lower one is a 115amp, and i believe the higher one is 140amp.

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #5 of 7 Old 08-16-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
but keep in mind there are 2 different stock alternator options, but i dont know of a way to tell which one is in a compass. could be a part of an option package such as tow packages, the lower one is a 115amp, and i believe the higher one is 140amp.
Ok, Not sure now either now that you mention that. I have heated seats which will suck a few more amps. My Compass is in at the dealer getting all sorts of parts installed. 2-3 days it will be. I'll see if I can find a build list on it to see.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #6 of 7 Old 11-13-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Ok, Not sure now either now that you mention that. I have heated seats which will suck a few more amps. My Compass is in at the dealer getting all sorts of parts installed. 2-3 days it will be. I'll see if I can find a build list on it to see.
when my buddy changed my alternator the mopar one was more expensive and lower amps i think the one i got was aftermarket and it was 140 IIRC

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
190,000 km (Always in the shop)
Recently Overhauled every link/bushing in the front/rear
20% tint on windows
Lamin-X smoked tail lights
Painted all silver interior trim satin black.
I strongly Reccomend You Don't buy a Jeep Compass!!!!
post #7 of 7 Old 11-13-2011, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackman View Post
when my buddy changed my alternator the mopar one was more expensive and lower amps i think the one i got was aftermarket and it was 140 IIRC
I did find out that day what was built into it. 130 amp and I have heated seats in the North Edition. From what I have heard the alternators themselves are not what fails its the ADP. Having a regular pully would be best for the long term especially concidering the time the re & re it. Also higher electrical loads probably causes the ADP to slip more limiting the amount of output. If I am correct having a high powered audio amp is a bad thing for the alternator wearing out the ADP faster.

Unfortunately special tools are needed to remove it.

For those interested. A replacement ADP for our engine is Gates #37018P. Source infor is http://www.gatesprograms.com/assets/...P_Brochure.pdf

I am wondering if one had the tools if it could be done while still mounted on the vehcile. These aren't cheap and you have to buy the tool kit as well. Oreilly's shows is at $75 however no Canadian source yet. More research is required but their early failure is a concern and difficult alternator removal.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 11-13-2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Added ADP part info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in