TIPM for Compass 2008 - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 10-24-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

TIPM for Compass 2008

I have a 2008 Compass and haven’t had major issues with it, until last week. My engine wouldn’t start anymore and it wasn’t the battery… So I got it towed to the dealer and after 2 days, they said it was the Totally Integrated Power System that was out of order - I just searched that word on internet and haven’t found such a thing, so I guess they meant the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) - and added that this piece controls almost everything - the wipers, the radio, the electricity that goes to the engine, etc. -, which makes sense for my wipers had been behaving weird the last months stopping in the middle of the window, plus, my cigarette lighter died. Those might have been the symptoms that my TIPM was about to break.

Anyway, I bought my Compass in Peru so the car is there and my dealer just made me a quotation of USD 1,666.00 for the new TIPM, the installation and reprogramming, which is outrageous to me.

I’m in the USA right now, and would like to buy the TIPM here and bring it to Peru to have mi car repaired. I bet I can get a better deal here. So, my questions are ?

1. Is there any difference between a TIPM for a Compass made for US and a Compass made for South America (Peru) ?
2. How should I ask for the TIPM, just give my car model and the year ?
3. How much should I pay ?

I might be missing something in this idea, so if there is any additional consideration I should take into account, please let me know. I could really use some help from you guys, and I would really appreciate it . Thanks in advanced.

Regards,
Eduardo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-24-2011, 07:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo View Post
I have a 2008 Compass and haven’t had major issues with it, until last week. My engine wouldn’t start anymore and it wasn’t the battery… So I got it towed to the dealer and after 2 days, they said it was the Totally Integrated Power System that was out of order - I just searched that word on internet and haven’t found such a thing, so I guess they meant the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) - and added that this piece controls almost everything - the wipers, the radio, the electricity that goes to the engine, etc. -, which makes sense for my wipers had been behaving weird the last months stopping in the middle of the window, plus, my cigarette lighter died. Those might have been the symptoms that my TIPM was about to break.

Anyway, I bought my Compass in Peru so the car is there and my dealer just made me a quotation of USD 1,666.00 for the new TIPM, the installation and reprogramming, which is outrageous to me.

I’m in the USA right now, and would like to buy the TIPM here and bring it to Peru to have mi car repaired. I bet I can get a better deal here. So, my questions are ?

1. Is there any difference between a TIPM for a Compass made for US and a Compass made for South America (Peru) ?
2. How should I ask for the TIPM, just give my car model and the year ?
3. How much should I pay ?

I might be missing something in this idea, so if there is any additional consideration I should take into account, please let me know. I could really use some help from you guys, and I would really appreciate it . Thanks in advanced.

Regards,
Eduardo

Hi,
Bad luck with your jeep compass, im also in Peru. What is clear is that Divemotors is charging you about double for a spare part. Recently i changed my tires, i got those imported from US, it cost me about 190 dollars each, divemotors wanted 400 buck each.....

Try this: I suggest to mail partswebsite.com to help you finding the TIPM.
http://www.partswebsite.com/jeepcarp...n=3&type=parts

Also is a good thing to check on dodge caliber spare parts, because compass and caliber are almost the same in engine parts.

Also call Repuestos Originales S.A.C. Av. Angamos Este 1152. Surquillo - Lima. cel: 994023743, maybe they can help you to buy that part. They have 5W20 oil that nobody have, and also the oil for the CVT gearbox. Have the VIN number available, also engine #, with this i think you can find the right p/n.

I hope you can fix this problem. What pissis me off real hard is to pay double or triple for common spare parts.

Regards,
William

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
post #3 of 8 Old 10-25-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Hey wojeda, this is great information. Are you sure I should trust these guys from partswebsite.com ? I just found the TIPM in this site using my part number and it's way cheaper than in Peru, it's even below the List Price in a regular American dealer. What's the trick ? Are they used parts ? Have you ever bought anything from these guys ? I still have some reservations about buying here. Too good to be true.

Thanks for taking the time in reading my post and replying.

Regards,
Raul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-26-2011, 04:19 AM

Garage
Raul - there are a lot of websites online that sell parts below list price. List price is what we would pay at the dealer but they can sell at the discounted price and still make money. I try my hardest to buy parts only as much as I can cuz it so much cheaper than going to a dealer. The part should be new (if it used it would say so).
Also another place to check for non-oem parts but great parts is rockauto.com.

2007 Jeep Compass 4x4 Limited (black)
2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS (blue)
post #5 of 8 Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the interest and the help. I just bought my TIPM here in the US and now I hope it works to get my car repaired in Peru. Will keep you posted.

Thanks ronjr and wojeda.

Regards,
post #6 of 8 Old 11-01-2011, 03:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks guys for the interest and the help. I just bought my TIPM here in the US and now I hope it works to get my car repaired in Peru. Will keep you posted.

Thanks ronjr and wojeda.

Regards,
hi,
Please send some news back once you get the part in.

regards,
Billy

Billy (wojeda)

Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
post #7 of 8 Old 11-10-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

It worked !!! Just got it repaired. I'm so happy now.
Thanks everybody.

Regards,
Eduardo
post #8 of 8 Old 11-10-2011, 06:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
It worked !!! Just got it repaired. I'm so happy now.
Thanks everybody.

Regards,
Eduardo
GOOD TO KNOW!!!!!!!!

Billy (wojeda)

Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in