Really Noisy Brakes - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 47 Old 12-10-2006, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Really Noisy Brakes

Does anyone else have REALLY noisy brakes? For the last month or two, the brakes have been very loud (and embarrassing) when applying the brakes when backing up. And we back into our garage daily so it's a daily occurrance. The sound is loud and it seems as though the sound is transferring throughout the body structure.

Has anyone else experienced noisy brakes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 12-11-2006, 04:15 PM

Ouch that dosn't sound good
post #3 of 47 Old 12-11-2006, 05:41 PM

I'm only at 2700kms, but have not experienced any noises like the ones you are describing. I would get it into your dealer ASAP to find out what's causing it.
Keep us up to speed about what happens, or the cause if you find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 12-12-2006, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

I called the dealer today. I couldn't get it in before Tuesday next week. That's 8 days away. With my previous Ford, I could always get in the next day. Hmmm... not a good sign.
post #5 of 47 Old 12-18-2006, 03:35 PM

Do you not have any other dealers you could go too? I hope your issue is just with your dealer and not all the jeep dealers??

And yes that is not a good sign.

As with your Ford I had a Mazda(almost the same as ford) needless to say I had to take it to the shop often, one day I was comming home and when I was waiting at a stop light the break foot pettle starting going all the way to the floorboard, so I stopped at Mazda on the way home, they took it and the next day I got it back with a new brake master cylinder. Anyway I do have to give Mazda credit for their service.
post #6 of 47 Old 12-20-2006, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Well the dealer drove the Compass around a bit today and didn't hear a thing. So they drove around a bit more and then they heard it. Wow, they got a surprise. It is so LOUD.

Apparently they sanded the pads by hand...?? Never heard of that before, but whatever. We'll see if that fixes the problem. If not, hopefully they'll just replace the brakes.

Since my mileage has gone down considerably recently, I'm thinking that the rear brakes might be dragging a bit and decreasing the mileage. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you folks in the loop.
post #7 of 47 Old 01-16-2007, 02:18 PM

RE: Noisy Breaks

Wow I thought it was only me....I am having the exact same problem when I am reversing.
At first I thought it may have been because it was so cold out but the noise just seems to be getting louder.
I reverse out of my driveway every morning and I can't describe the noise, it's not a squeaking noise it's just loud and affects the whole vehicle.
I am planning on taking it into the dealer sometime next week.
FYI there has been a re-call announcement on failure of a computer that controls the brakes, causing a loss of anti-lock and brake distribution systems, traction control and speedometer
check out this link:
http://money.cnn.com/2006/12/22/autos/b ... /index.htm
post #8 of 47 Old 02-02-2007, 12:46 AM
kwc

noisy brakes

I experienced the noisy brakes while backing up too ... so when I took my Compass in for its oil change today I asked the service folks to take a look at it.

They took apart all of the brakes, cleaned them, and reinstalled them. The service mgr explained that the Compass has metallic brake pads and the noise came from that.

All covered under warranty.

And they washed the car too! Not too shabby for 20 bucks.
post #9 of 47 Old 02-02-2007, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

Well are brakes are noisy again. Not quite as loud as before, but they are certainly noticeable again. :evil:
post #10 of 47 Old 03-05-2007, 06:37 PM

Noisy Breaks

Well I went into my dealer last Wednesday for an oil change and to have my tires rotated as I am at 10,000 km. As well, I noticed that when my wind shield wash runs out there is no indication of that, I was thinking it would show up on the front panel with everything else. I was told it does not have this feature.
I inquired about the breaks and explained it is really noisy when I reverse, the service guy told me that is common in Chrysler and Jeep vehicles but they would check it. They claim to have checked my breaks and said everything was okay but I am thinking I might go somewhere else just to have them checked and if there is something wrong I am going back to Jeep with a vengance.
I have never heard of breaks making such a noise and it being a common problem, it is annoying and very emberassing.
post #11 of 47 Old 06-14-2007, 08:19 PM

moaning brakes!

Well, my brakes in the rear moan loudly in reverse, and have done so for several months. The dealer inspected them, said all was normal, slapped on some Teflon, and that fixed it for about two weeks, before the noise started up again. Now, however, I have noticed a similar sound at low speeds in forward, going uphill! Any feedback? I'm ashamed to have passengers, since they all comment on these squeaks, squeals, and moans!
post #12 of 47 Old 03-13-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Re: Really Noisy Brakes

Well it's been over a year since my last post in this thread. My brakes are still noisy when backing up. They're noisy most often after the Jeep has been sitting for a while. It doesn't matter the temperature.

I'll tell you it's certainly embarrassing! I now ALWAYS back the Jeep into the garage so that when I leave in the morning the noise doesn't wake up the neighbours.

I've had it in the shop 3 times for the noisy brakes and they're still noisy. They say it's "normal". I've had two vehicles (both FORD) with rear disc brakes and they didn't do that.

I've honestly had thoughts of getting rid of the Compass in part due to the noisy brakes!! I've pretty much given up on the dealer, maybe I can get them to replace the pads or rotors or both someday? I don't know.
post #13 of 47 Old 03-14-2008, 12:46 AM

Backyard mechanic....

In years past, metallic pads had a tendency to vibrate if the leading edge was straight. The solution was to bevel the leading and trailing edges of the pads. This is all that is probably needed. See if you can get a local shop to "edge" the pads. The angle is something I am not sure about. Check with the local Chrysler/Dodge dealer...

Glazed rotors or pads can cause noise. The sanding would quiet this...

Oh and one other thing, if the emergency brake is not fully releasing, or the brake is not retracting properly, you will also get loud noises in reverse.

Did you have the brake fluid changed?

Check on the Caliber forum for the same thing and see if there are any recommendations...(Post them here if there are ...)
post #14 of 47 Old 03-14-2008, 04:47 AM

I have the same squeal from my rear passenger wheel. Only in reverse and only after the car has been sitting overnight, or all day while I am at work. Kinda embarrassing when I have passengers tho.

I thought they might be flash rusting during the day and that is causing the squeal when they first get applied.

My wife had a Chevy that chirped down the road, and despite the dealer sanding the pads and rotors repeatedly, the problem never was resolved, until I broke down and just replaced the pads and rotors for her. The problem never came back for the final 2 years of the lease.
(GM only warranties the brakes for 1 yr or 18,000km, I dunno what Chrysler does)
post #15 of 47 Old 03-14-2008, 02:54 PM

I had this same problem with my neon. I wish I had read this post before to tell you.

Let me guess it's ONLY the back brakes?

On my neon the e-brake handle had adjustment screws. Apparently when they installed the e-brake the bolts holding it down they were not tightened. This caused the e-brake to not release fully and the brakes drag slightly.

Have the dealer make sure the e-brake is fully released and the cables are not hung up on anything.
post #16 of 47 Old 03-14-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

My mileage is close to normal so I don't think there's any drag anymore (like I said earlier). Yes the noise is only on the rear brakes. I can understand a little bit of rust from sitting but why would it do it every day and not do that on the fronts?

I don't use the parking brake very often but I did have it on once about 2-3 weeks ago.
post #17 of 47 Old 03-14-2008, 07:42 PM

I use the parking brake every day. The brakes would wear from the drag but when you hit the brake they auto-adjust. Check your back calipers and see if they're overly polished (from drag).

It doesn't need to drag that much to cause the noise. The sound goes away at higher speed, because the vibration (whch causes the noise) only happens when the drag is slow enough. It's kind of like dragging you hand across a table to make a squeeking noise. You don't do it fast cause there is no noise, you do it slow.

Next time you are at an intersection and a semi pulls up beside you. Listen to the sound the brakes make. It's more than likely very similar to the sounds that your Compass is making. The brakes are dragging against the drums in the back, slowly slowing the truck and trailer down. When one of the slack adjusters on the brakes aren't adjusted properly you'll get a loud squeeling noise, very much sounding like metal on metal.

All in all, its more than likely the brake pad dragging against the caliper which is not normal, regardless what the dealer said (kind of like the leaking sunroof, do you notice a trend). It could be too much brake fluid in the system causing pressure and thus applying the brake, but then I think it would be all the brakes not just the back ones.
post #18 of 47 Old 03-15-2008, 12:18 AM

I use the parking brake all the time. Have on all my cars. It solves the problem of them freezing up. I do seem to recall having a problem with the parking brake adjustment on another car but in that case it was the burnt metal smell and lower fuel economy.

Check you brake lines under the car and make sure one of them is not kinked. This thought crossed my mind when I remembered how the lines are run under the car....
post #19 of 47 Old 06-09-2008, 09:53 PM

Oh, wow! Finally, I feel like I am not a crazy woman. My brakes have squeaked since about a month after purchasing my Jeep Compass. I thought it was due to cold, but, in the hot Texas heat, the brakes still squeak. We took it back to the Jeep dealer where we bought it for a service check. They found nothing wrong. It did squeak loudly for them, but they, apparently, weren't skilled enough to fix it. (The dealer is 200 miles from us, so this is not a convenient service call.) Before long, I plan to take my Compass to a closer dealer and see if they can figure it out. I hope their service department is nicer than the one in San Antonio. I never want to go back to that place...but that's for another forum
post #20 of 47 Old 09-04-2008, 07:11 PM

Yes!!! My car has the same problem - it started right after I purchased it. I had it into the service center several times and they machined my rotors, but that didn't fix it. It IS embarrassing too. I have problems with the left front strut and the steering wheel as well. The service place doesn't know what it is and they keep guessing and not fixing it...so I'm taking it to a new place on Monday.
post #21 of 47 Old 09-04-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

I fixed the problem by trading the Compass on a new Ram

The noisy brakes didn't happen every time I reversed but it was often (weekly for sure).
post #22 of 47 Old 07-27-2010, 10:02 PM

Question Screeching Brakes when reversing

I have seen this on Google results so I know I am not the only one with that. I am not certain what year it started but I have never hear it on any vehicle in my life.

What solution did you find. Scuffing the pad edges or what. The brakes aren't worn and rear pad typically out last several front set. So what did Chrysler screw up here. Dealers say servicing and resurfacing is required. Why?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 47 Old 07-28-2010, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

At 32k only ???? C'mon this is NOT normal !!!!

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 47 Old 07-28-2010, 02:16 AM

Yeah my thoughts exactly. I got this from two difference dealers. I have never had a vehicle do that and with over 100k on the clock. Who else has had or still has this problem when backing out?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #25 of 47 Old 07-28-2010, 05:28 AM

Garage
Unfortunately I have the same problem. Mine has only 21000km on it. Also the local dealership as well as a tire place I went to both said the brake pads are not uneven or worn out. It happens when I have just started it in the morning, or when I have just washed the car. But it doesnt happen every day which is weird, only about 1/4 of the time. I guess its early days so to speak so it will probably get worse. What can be done?? I think there was another thread on here about this issue, but there was no solution mentioned. Certainly makes the car sound like a heap of junk for a couple of seconds as I pull out of the car wash...

Tripplec it would be good to hear from someone who has tried the resurfacing that u mentioned. I would do it for sure if it was guaranteed to fix the problem.. Its my one and only gripe about the car. (Ok there is the CVT but I can totally live with that)... Brakes that squeal like a city bus is unacceptable..

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #26 of 47 Old 07-28-2010, 12:20 PM

The dealer wanted $129 plus taxes to do this service. Thats per axle but we know its on the rear. No way, I can pull the wheel and calipers myself and have a go at them. Then go out and buy a case of beer and have dinner out.

Its been so hot and humid that the sweat pours off me in a half hour. I'll wait until its cooler so I won't have to rush. A lot of pads these days have a bevel (tappered at both ends) I don't think these rear ones do. If not I was going to take the edge off the rear side for sure with emery paper, course grit of and maybe rough the surface of the pad with it as well.

It never does it going forward only reverse and never when warm or hot after driving. That is why I think its something to do with the trailing edge of the pad. Maybe the calipers have a design problem. I hope its not a Teves issue like the Grand Cherokees had for years. Many were swapped due to warping.

This Compass started doing it when I got it the dealer at 29k and They are way out of town and I though it was covered by warranty, NOT so I am stuck with it now or at least for now.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 07-28-2010 at 12:23 PM.
post #27 of 47 Old 07-28-2010, 01:31 PM

I have this from time to time. It actually seems to be a humidity issue in my case.
Does it on my Vibe as well.

Secret is to never park the car for more than 20 minutes

Tony

2009 Silver Northern Edition
Picked up Spring 2010

Go Sens Go
post #28 of 47 Old 07-28-2010, 08:21 PM

Garage
I have 35K on mine and I haven't heard a thing out of my brakes. If the rear brakes are outlasting front brakes I wonder if there is a bias problem with the brake system. Too much pressure to front and not enough to back.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #29 of 47 Old 07-28-2010, 11:54 PM

Garage
Thats odd Smokey isnt it. 4 of us have the same year (09) but only 3 have the screechng brakes... I would try the 'scuffing' of the pads but I'm not that handy with cars... Would love to hear how TripplC goes with it.. I'll take it down to my usual repair place and get them to do it, if it works...

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #30 of 47 Old 07-29-2010, 02:07 PM

Garage
I thought it was odd, especially since I do so many back roads and stuff. Dust and mud definately don't help the brakes out. Makes me wonder where they were manufactured and when. I know mine was made Oct 2008.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in