slow fuel filling on Jeep compass - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PAJeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 Old 01-21-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy slow fuel filling on Jeep compass

we have an 2007 Compass, 105,000km and filling gas takes forever. It does seem to matter how slow you try to fill the tank the gas pump switches off because the fuel does not go down the fill pipe fast enough. We do drive 15-20km of gravel a day it there some place the dust is getting in and plugging a vent or valve?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-21-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07silversport View Post
we have an 2007 Compass, 105,000km and filling gas takes forever. It does seem to matter how slow you try to fill the tank the gas pump switches off because the fuel does not go down the fill pipe fast enough. We do drive 15-20km of gravel a day it there some place the dust is getting in and plugging a vent or valve?
Well you're out of warranty I expect so you'll likely have to live with it.

Having said that its a defective gas tank (known problem apparently) there is some valve in there restricting the flow. I had mine replaced a while back having the same problem.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Administrator

I have heard of this being a problem on several different Chrysler models, including the Nitro and the Ram and yes, it is a possibility that dust may have clogged the vent line and in most cases, Chrysler has replaced the filler neck/gas tank to solve the problem but it still seems to be an ongoing issue, even with the 4th gen Ram trucks. I would check with your dealer, and if you still possibly have an extended warranty left it should be covered and, if not, if there are any recalls or TSB's out for it, they have to fix it. Have you tried re-positioning the gas nozzle in the meantime to see if that helps?

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-22-2012, 03:21 PM

TSB 's do not equal warranty repair. Only an identified issue and corrective proceedure if it occurs to that vehicle. There is a TSB on front struts noisy and knocking. Which identifies that newer rubber bushings and part are used. My Compass had strut failure but the bushings were not replaced. The reason was they were not exhibiting the problem identified in the TSB. There would have to be a recall and those typically are safety related.

There is some one way valve down within the tank and they have a way of flow testing it to see if thats the problem. They verified it was and replace my gas tank. It was a big job. Yeah check with the dealer. Nothing to loose but 99% that will be the problem. Gas will flow in but half lever rate and for pumps that really pump fast you have to go real slow because its kicking out due to the back pressure.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #5 of 20 Old 01-26-2012, 01:50 PM

Garage
When I first had my jeep, it took forever to fill my tank. I was used to put the nozzle pretty deep with my mazda3. I tried to put the nozzle not even 1" inside and the problem was solved! I hope it's the same for you!

HID Trois-Rivières /
post #6 of 20 Old 02-04-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a trip to the dealer looks like the first step.
I have tried re-positioning the gas pump nozzle in the filler pipe but that does not seem to sovle anything.
Will keep you posted.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-12-2012, 06:00 PM

I, too,have this problem on my 2007 Compass. In another thread I asked about it and all I the help I could gather was this: "I don't know how far back the problem goes but the dealers have a FSB on this problem. There is an internal valve in the gas tank which does not allow proper flow. I had that problem and brought it up to them. The solution was for a new gas tank to be installed."

My question: what is an FSB? and will Chrysler pay to fix this?

It is very difficult to put gas in, no matter how I position the nozzle. Sometimes, even at slow nozzle speeds, the gas backs out and spills on the ground!

Thanks!
post #8 of 20 Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 PM

I got my Compass fixed. The evap canister had a small crack in it at the rear of the canister. Replaced that and that took care of my gas filling problem.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-01-2014, 01:01 PM

Garage
what would I call this issue exactly?

I am not really a car person as far as terminology goes, I think I have this fuel tank issue though. I live in NJ so we don't pump our own gas but I've noticed gas attendees flipping the pump at times and asking me if its full. I have some type of coverage cause I am at 34000 miles and got the compass used with some extra coverage. Question is what do I call this issue, should it be covered, and if not how much?
post #10 of 20 Old 04-02-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylewfaucher View Post
I am not really a car person as far as terminology goes, I think I have this fuel tank issue though. I live in NJ so we don't pump our own gas but I've noticed gas attendees flipping the pump at times and asking me if its full. I have some type of coverage cause I am at 34000 miles and got the compass used with some extra coverage. Question is what do I call this issue, should it be covered, and if not how much?
Take it to the dealer and ask them about it. Tell them to check the evap canister. This is designed so that gas vapors collect into the cannister and not released into the air.
kylewfaucher likes this.
post #11 of 20 Old 04-03-2014, 03:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAJeep View Post
Take it to the dealer and ask them about it. Tell them to check the evap canister. This is designed so that gas vapors collect into the cannister and not released into the air.
I took it to freehold Jeep being I am on the last 2000 miles of my factory warranty and told them exactly that. Was nice to have an idea of what I was talking about, much appreciated. The onlt thing he asked and seemed offput by was that the check engine light never came on. Anyways they are going to give it a look tmrw and call me will post with details then. Thanks again!
post #12 of 20 Old 12-16-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAJeep View Post
I got my Compass fixed. The evap canister had a small crack in it at the rear of the canister. Replaced that and that took care of my gas filling problem.
i hope this is my issue...

got the same filling problem in my wifes compass, just started out of no where a few weeks ago at 105,000 miles. i was about to buy an evap canister and replace it but it seems like there is a few things it could be and gas tank is one of them.

I found the test method for the slow filling problem on a jeep liberty, guessing it would be the same on a compass. problem is you need to be at a pump to check everything off the list as you follow the instructions. might just take the stealership and pay for them to figure it out.

anyway i pasted below the TSB jeep put out on the slow gas tank filling and the procedure to check whats wrong, (its for the jeep liberty)

Here's a TSB from 2009:

NUMBER: 14-001-09 REV. A

GROUP: Fuel

DATE: September 1, 2009

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 14-001-09, DATED APRIL 15, 2009, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

SUBJECT:
Hard To Fill With Fuel Or Fuel Nozzle Shuts Off Repeatedly

NOTE : This bulletin applies to all vehicles equipped with a gasoline engine.
DISCUSSION:

Customer may report that the vehicle is hard to fill with fuel or that the fuel pump nozzle shuts off repeatedly while trying to fill vehicle.

This customer complaint can occur due to a number of different causes. The fuel tank is the least likely cause of this condition. The following Diagnostic procedure can be used to diagnose the issues.

DIAGNOSIS:

1. Is the vehicle a LX/LE/LC/L2?
a. Yes >> proceed to Step # 2
b. No >> proceed to Step # 4
2. Idle the vehicle 60 to 90 seconds upon stopping.
3. Does tank refill properly?
a. No >> proceed to Step # 4
b. Yes >> Inform the customer to idle the vehicle for 60 to 90 seconds upon stopping if vehicle was driven aggressively. This is due to the fact that on the LX/LE/LC/L2 the fuel tank is a unique saddle tank design and needs 30 to 60 seconds while the engine is running to level the fuel in both half's of the fuel tank. Allowing the vehicle to idle for this amount of time will let the fuel pump transfer fuel to the left side tank, opening the control valve and allowing normal fuel filling.
4. Disconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
5. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
6. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Proceed to Step # 7
b. No >> Proceed to Step # 11.
7. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
8. Disconnect the other end of the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel filler tube.
9. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
10. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Replace fuel filler tube.
b. No >> Replace the vapor recirculation tube.
11. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.
12. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
13. Does tank refill properly?
a. No >> Replace Fuel Tank.
b. Yes >> Proceed to
14. Reconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.
15. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the EVAP canister.
16. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
17. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Blockage is in the EVAP Canister, or ESIM, or Clean air hose (ESIM vent hose), or filter. Diagnose appropriately.
b. No >> Replace the control valve to EVAP canister tube.

07 compass 2.4L 4x4 CVT: (all stock)
wifes car...when it breaks its my headache... Located in the US

I agree with the following statement... DO NOT BUY A COMPASS
post #13 of 20 Old 12-23-2014, 06:08 PM

update:

i took off the lines heading to the evap canister on our compass. still has the same slow filling problem so my issue is either in the vent lines or the tank. the tank being the more likely

or i suppose the problem could be the control valve to the evap canister. i think this is the "purge solenoid" part that I found online which is relatively cheap but i hate to throw parts at things

Last edited by Guinness; 12-23-2014 at 06:10 PM.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-25-2014, 11:12 PM

Garage
This happened to me and paid 760 dollars for the evap canister and purge valve to be fixed. Engine code was P0441. The dealer said it was my fault. I have a jeep 2007 compass 105k miles. Could it be they are wrong and I get my money back?P0441 DTC: Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow
post #15 of 20 Old 12-29-2014, 12:17 PM

$760 to replace those two little parts!!!!! ouch! the parts go for about $100 total online or cheaper

another update. i have put the vent line back on and since then the "gascap" sign has come on the dash and has not gone off now for a few days, hopefully this will help me diagnose

post #16 of 20 Old 01-15-2015, 01:46 PM

you guys can read my whole update in this thread if you want http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...g-problem.html

in short i verified i have no obstruction in the filler neck or at the tank where the check valve would be. (its not blocked i checked)

now when i fill the tank with pressurized nozzle the pump clicks off almost immediately and gas comes shooting back out the top of filler neck.

im assuming this means the problem is with the vent system. (air builds up in tank and then pushes out any gas coming down filler neck)

going to disconnect the vent line from the evap canister and try filling next. if it fills ok i will move on to checking evap canister for blockage

post #17 of 20 Old 12-01-2015, 04:31 PM

Hi Everyone,

could someone please share a graph or picture or point me in the right direction on where to find the EVAP canister on the Compass?
checked under the hood, and couldn't see it, removed rear left wheel , and didn't see it either. good graphs online for other models, but not the compass

thanks already in advance

Axel

(Belgium)
post #18 of 20 Old 12-01-2015, 04:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashcrash View Post
Hi Everyone,

could someone please share a graph or picture or point me in the right direction on where to find the EVAP canister on the Compass?
checked under the hood, and couldn't see it, removed rear left wheel , and didn't see it either. good graphs online for other models, but not the compass

Axel

(Belgium)
On my 2008 Compass, the Evap canister is located on the rear driver's side (left side) frame. It's pretty easy to get to. Just lay down by the rear bumper and you should see it.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-01-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:

Axel
i couldnt find much online that would help you but as said above, it is located behind the REAR driver wheel, not up front by the hood. If you lay down at the back of the car and look up behind that wheel towards the rear bumper you can clearly see it. It will have an inlet and outlet hose connected to it

also to update my situation, I have disconnected the tank ventilation system completely at the back of the tank. still have issues fueling, especially in cold weather. In the summer the car could actually be filled at the pump but only sometimes. when temps get below 70* it will start spitting out the filler neck, lower temps require even longer fill ups, ive been using 5 gallon containers and a funnel and still have to go slow to avoid fuel burping up and out of the filler neck

post #20 of 20 Old 05-22-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
i hope this is my issue...

got the same filling problem in my wifes compass, just started out of no where a few weeks ago at 105,000 miles. i was about to buy an evap canister and replace it but it seems like there is a few things it could be and gas tank is one of them.

I found the test method for the slow filling problem on a jeep liberty, guessing it would be the same on a compass. problem is you need to be at a pump to check everything off the list as you follow the instructions. might just take the stealership and pay for them to figure it out.

anyway i pasted below the TSB jeep put out on the slow gas tank filling and the procedure to check whats wrong, (its for the jeep liberty)

Here's a TSB from 2009:

NUMBER: 14-001-09 REV. A

GROUP: Fuel

DATE: September 1, 2009

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 14-001-09, DATED APRIL 15, 2009, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

SUBJECT:
Hard To Fill With Fuel Or Fuel Nozzle Shuts Off Repeatedly

NOTE : This bulletin applies to all vehicles equipped with a gasoline engine.
DISCUSSION:

Customer may report that the vehicle is hard to fill with fuel or that the fuel pump nozzle shuts off repeatedly while trying to fill vehicle.

This customer complaint can occur due to a number of different causes. The fuel tank is the least likely cause of this condition. The following Diagnostic procedure can be used to diagnose the issues.

DIAGNOSIS:

1. Is the vehicle a LX/LE/LC/L2?
a. Yes >> proceed to Step # 2
b. No >> proceed to Step # 4
2. Idle the vehicle 60 to 90 seconds upon stopping.
3. Does tank refill properly?
a. No >> proceed to Step # 4
b. Yes >> Inform the customer to idle the vehicle for 60 to 90 seconds upon stopping if vehicle was driven aggressively. This is due to the fact that on the LX/LE/LC/L2 the fuel tank is a unique saddle tank design and needs 30 to 60 seconds while the engine is running to level the fuel in both half's of the fuel tank. Allowing the vehicle to idle for this amount of time will let the fuel pump transfer fuel to the left side tank, opening the control valve and allowing normal fuel filling.
4. Disconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
5. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
6. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Proceed to Step # 7
b. No >> Proceed to Step # 11.
7. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
8. Disconnect the other end of the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel filler tube.
9. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
10. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Replace fuel filler tube.
b. No >> Replace the vapor recirculation tube.
11. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.
12. Reconnect the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
13. Does tank refill properly?
a. No >> Replace Fuel Tank.
b. Yes >> Proceed to
14. Reconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.
15. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the EVAP canister.
16. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
17. Does tank refill properly?
a. Yes >> Blockage is in the EVAP Canister, or ESIM, or Clean air hose (ESIM vent hose), or filter. Diagnose appropriately.
b. No >> Replace the control valve to EVAP canister tube.
Thanks for this.

~Small Jeep with Big-Benz heart~
2014 Compass CRD 2.2 Limited, Tuned & Debadged
MB DOHC 16v I4 twin-turbo
@
;
@
;
235/55R17 @
8Jx17 ET35;
@

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in