Remote Locking/Unlocking of the doors problem - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 Old 01-04-2007, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Remote Locking/Unlocking of the doors problem

Hello all,

I wondering if I'm the only one having problems with locking/unlocking my Compass with the remote, just sometimes ?

I explain, I'm in the truck, driving it. I park the truck to get out. I put it in "Park", turn off the truck, remove the key, open the door, get out of the truck, close the door et then I try to lock the doors using my remote key but nothing happens. I can try 1, 2, 3 or 10 times to lock/unlock, nothing happens at all.

This is not at all time, it happens only now and then. Can't figure out why. I also tried my other key (thought maybe I had a bad one) and it also doesn't work when this happens. To get rid of the problem and be able to use my remote again, I have to get in the truck, turn it on, turn it off and get out again. Usually, at this point, everything returns back to normal and I'm able to lock/unlock it as much as I want.

Now, until tonight, it was only once in a while, tonight, it happened 3 times. I thought at first that it was happening because I was shutting down the headlamps after opening my door, so I tried to always turn off the headlamps before getting or even keeping them turned off and it also happened but it happened again 2 more times. I'm now about 50% of the time not able to correctly usr my remote key to lock the truck and activate the security system (I had this option factory installed, it comes with the thing in the trunk to hide your stuff).

RedVortex

2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4x4
Steel Blue, 26E, CVT, Boston Acoustics, Sec. grp.
Heated seats, Driver's convenience grp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-08-2007, 08:59 PM

Door problems

Mine has worked like a charm. No Problems.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-09-2007, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

I beginning to think that maybe it's the security system that sometimes disables its remote control functions because it received a bad signal from my remote or something like that.

I'm still trying to reproduce the problem again and again because I know Jeep won't do a thing to try to repair this if I'm not able to reproduce the problem in front of them. So far, I've not been able to and the problem is very intermittent...

I know that I can have many points of failure of this system because of my remote starter, security system and standard remote locking/unlocking system of the vehicle. There must be some situations in which the system doesn't allow you to use your remote to lock/unlock the doors (like if you leave the car key in the ignition) so I might have a sensor that's malfunctioning somewhere and doesn't correctly report the "status" of the car and disables the remote.

Or maybe I just have a bad remote that sometimes sends a bad signal to the security system and then, the security system disables its remote control system to prevent "tampering" or something like that.

Anyway, yesterday, I remove the battery from my main remote and cleaned the contacts, I thought maybe a bad contact might be the problem (sending a bad signal) and so far, the problem didn't showed up again, I'll give it a week before I say I fixed it...

Anybody else than me has a remote starter (Mopar) and factory-installed security system and having problems ?

RedVortex

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Self reply again...

I finally had my first oil change this week and reported this very annoying problem.

The annoying answer is: Chrylser knows there is an intermittent problem that sometimes happens when you get out of the vehicle and are unable to use lock/unlock from your remote control. They have this problem on Compass, Calibers and Wrangler for now at my dealer (I was the fourth customer to report this to my dealer).

They (Chrysler) are trying to figure this one out but they think it might have something to do with the remote starter, but again, they are not sure yet.

The only way around this for now is to get back in the vehicle, start the engine for 2 or 3 seconds then get out again and you should now be able to lock/unlock the vehicle with your remote key fob.

I'll keep this updated when they find a fix for this.

RedVortex

post #5 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Administrator

So far, both my keys seem to be working. The only thing I have noticed is that when I try to use the remote unlock function, it does not always unlock the very first time I depress the button. Usually, if I try a second time, it works as normal. I just thought either I was too far away, or my "aim" was off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #6 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 06:42 PM

I don't have a security system on my Compass but I do have intermittent problems unlocking the doors. Also, as I said in my other thread (that is posted in the wrong forum section..doh!) about locking the doors with the key in the ignition, I tried to do it again at home and it worked but then didn't when I got to my destination. There is definitely a problem with the key fobs.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Maybe I missed something in my owner's manual, but I thought the remote lock/unlock feature didn't work if the driver's door is open or the key is in the ignition. My roomate thought you weren't able to lock the keys in the car, so we tried it. We left one set of keys on the seat, closed the door, and locked it. She was thinking we might have a "smart" key, that would not allow you to lock your keys in the car. No luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #8 of 16 Old 03-07-2007, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Follow-up...

My problem is known to Jeep. They are looking into it. They have the same issue with the Caliber and the Wrangler. Some people are, like me, unable to lock the doors until they put the key back in the ignition then remove it again then are able to lock the doors.

So far they think it maybe has something to do with the remote starter so Chrysler asked the dealers not to install remote starts anymore until they figure this one out.

I also know that there is 2 firmware upgrades for the Compass. My dealer phoned me today to get by the garage so they can upgrade me with those firmwares in case it helps. I also had one other problem that happene 2 times when the weather was very cold, I was unable to accelerate at all. Flooring the gas pedal would accelerate the only about 10 kilometers per hours every 100 feet then after about 300 feets everything kicks in and all is back to normal. Jeep thinks it might be the transmission protecting itself until the oil temperature or viscosity becomes normal. I other words it tells the computer to not let me do what I want (accelerate) until its status becomes normal.

Anyway, they say all of this might be fixed by those 2 firmware upgrades, we'll see. It is not a big problem since it fixes itself within a few feet of driving and doesn't comes back and doesn't affect performance in any way once it fixes itself.

RedVortex

post #9 of 16 Old 03-09-2007, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Update...

I went to the dealer today for have my firmware updated, surprise. I already have the latest one, so no fix yet...

They recalibrated the gas pedal though since it is all electronic (no wires at all) because they think this might be the cause of the hesitation on cold winter days, we'll see...

I also tested something weird with my locking problem, I don't even have to insert the key in the ignition to solve the problem of not being able to lock the doors with the remote, I only have to push a couple of times with my finger on the ignition lock and then I'm able to lock my doors with the remote. Looks like a contact or physical problem to me with the ignition lock.

RedVortex

post #10 of 16 Old 06-11-2007, 07:44 PM

RedVortex:

Have you tried pressing all your fuses under the hood? Pull and press all of them firmly back in place.

I had the same problem with my Compass when I had it for a week (week of May 8th '07) I was about to call the dealer because there are times that I cannot lock or unlock the doors with the remote keys. I decided to check my fuse box first...and sure thing - one of the main fuses that controls the radio and power locks are slightly loose. No wonder my clock kept resetting and my CD skips and make clicking noises, apparently those fuses was not pushed down firm enough from the manufacturer and occasionally causes electronic malfunctions.

I haven't had a repeat error since then...

Jeep Compass SPORTS 4X4 - Manual
Marine Pearl Blue
post #11 of 16 Old 06-15-2007, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to post an update on this.

This is a known issue if you have a Mopar remote start unit (not the factory installed one).

They have this problem with Compass, Caliber, Patriot, Wrangler, Nitro, pretty much all the vehicle from 2007.

They are not allowing anymore installations of remote start unit and are in fact recalling all the units that are still in stock at the dealers.

They are still trying to figure this one out. Right now, the only options are: get your remote start unit removed or have it replaced by a third party one.

This is something going wrong between the remote start and the security system that detects that you have inserted the correct key in the ignition.

The only known way to be able to lock the doors after you got out of the truck and that you notice that you're unable to lock the doors with your remote is to put back your key in the ignition so that your key gets read correctly by the security system (you don't even have to turn it, just insert for about a second) and then remove it. Voila, you're now able to remotely lock your doors...

Very annoying but there is no way I'll have a third party remote starter installed in my truck, so I'm waiting for them to figure this one out.

All of this comes directly from Chrysler, then my Dealer then me to you, I'm not interpreting or assuming anything here.

RedVortex

post #12 of 16 Old 07-09-2007, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Latest news and updates.

They finally found a fix for this very annoying problem.

It was a problem with the skreem device (the device that reads your key to allow you to run the engine).

The skreem device for the remote start was giving a feedback current when you stop the vehicle. So they "created" a new connector between the skreem remote start device and the remote start itself. This new connector includes a diode (which prevent current from coming back in the wire).

So far, so good, it fixed my problem. However, they also had to completely replace the whole remote start module because the original one blew when the tech installed the new connector, hehehe.

Anyway, this is a known solution by your dealer now for this problem. Technically, if all goes well, it takes only a couple of minutes to do.

Good luck.

RedVortex

post #13 of 16 Old 01-18-2008, 05:11 PM

Re: Remote Locking/Unlocking of the doors problem

Wondering if anyone has had this problem recently?

I have been having a very similar problem with my 2007 Compass. However, in my situation the locks are completly inoperable no matter what I do. Also, I do not have a remote starter at all.

My Compass has been in & out of the dealer with this problem. This time they've had it for appx 10 days. They've changed all sorts of parts & still can't get it figured out. They've referred it to Daimler-Chrysler btu are still waiting for an update.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-19-2018, 03:14 AM

2011 compas locking / unlocking issue

Similar problem, rear liftgate will lock with the remote, but it will not unlock with the remote. I pulled the inside door trim off and disconnected the connector for the locking mechanism. I put the red and black leads of the digital volt meter into the connector, and there is positive pulse when I press the remote to lock the doors, and there is NO voltage at the connector plug during unlocking. I did not think to try using the unlock button in the door, but my daughter said she can not unlock the rear lift gate, so I assume she tried it also.

Does the system send a negative pulse to unlock the mechanism? Any Ideas? Is there a troubleshooting procedure somewhere?

Thanks in advance,

Michael J. Cougler, USAF MSgt, Retired
2018 Big Horn 2500 CTD 4x4, 2015 Jeep GCL,
1967 M725 Jeep Ambulance, 1946 CJ2A (under repair)
Daughter drives a 2011 Jeep Compass Latitude, 4x4
post #15 of 16 Old 09-19-2018, 04:25 AM

I have a 2016 Compass and I also have the issue where suddenly the remote will not work at all until the next time I use the vehicle. You'd think they'd have fixed it by now... I also don't have any remote starter of any kind.
post #16 of 16 Old 10-04-2018, 08:38 PM

I just reset the fuse in my step daughters POS jeep compass 2007. works for a while....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in