Air Filtration system (Inside the vehicle) - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 01-18-2007, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Air Filtration system (Inside the vehicle)

I read this in the manual:

Air Filtration System -If Equipped

An air filter is included in the optional Security Group. Filter media includes a particle filtration layer and a charcoal layer. The filter will reduce, but not eliminate, diesel and agricultural smells. The filter acts only on air coming from outside the vehicle; it does not filter air inside the passenger compartment. The filter's normal service life is 12,000 miles (20,000 kill) or one year. The air filter change schedule coincides with that for engine oil and filter. As with oil changes, the interval is shorter for heavy duty service or dusty conditions. See your authorized dealer for service.

First, I have the optional security group in my Compass. So I was very happy when I read that because I do tend to have some seasonal allergies and those filters really do make a difference, usually, at least it worked well in my Venture.

Second, I have two questions regarding this.

1 - I don't believe this works at all since I smell the outside air exactly like it smells outside, no difference. Can anybody tell me otherwise ?

2 - I have been trying to find the location of those filters without any success so far, does anybody know where they are located ?

Thanks.

RedVortex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-08-2007, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

I re-checked on the jeep.ca and jeep.com websites and only the US-version of the web site seems to talk about this optional interior air filter.

So is there anyone on the other side of the border that has this special interior air filter installed ?

And do you know where it is installed in the dash?

Maybe I can just order the part and install it in my "canadian Compass version" if I can find where it fits...

RedVortex
post #3 of 5 Old 02-08-2007, 07:12 PM

I think I had read on a Caliber forum that the air filter is accessed through the glove box so maybe it is the same on the Compass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-16-2007, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Yup you're right, it is behind the glove box.

I had my first oil change yesterday and the tech showed me where it is. He didn't think at first that I had a air filter and was surprised to find one but there is was. He showed me how to easily kind of "pinch" the whole glove box on itself to allow it to drop down and give you access to the filter. Takes 2 seconds to access it. He was not able to remove the filter to check it though but then again, it as not necessary at 5000kms so we didn't bother too much, I'll figure it out sooner or later.

Thanks for the reply.

RedVortex
post #5 of 5 Old 07-09-2007, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Self follow-up.

I had another oil change.

We removed the cover on the interior air filter and surprise, it was completely empty, no interior air filter.

They checked in the computer why it was absent just to find out that, according to my VIN (serial number of the vehicle), it is normal that it is not installed, maybe it is included on US versions or the limited, I don't know.

Anyway, since it wasn't there, I ordered it (18$ CAN) and installed it myself a few days later, took about 2 minutes. Now the air is much cleaner, very much less pollen/dust inside the vehicle (and it shows, I've got allergies to all that, so I notice).

It also helped to filter exterior odors, not all but some of them, especially diesel engines odors.

So there it is, the compartment is there but most probably empty on your compass. If, like me, you need a "cleaner" air inside your vehicle, better check with the dealer or yourself if you have a interior air filter, if not, you're 18 bucks away from allergies free air.

RedVortex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in