Inner Tie Rod Replacement - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tripplec

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 06-27-2012, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Inner Tie Rod Replacement

Has anyone changed their own inner tie rod.

I was wondering if a special tool/wrench is required to get it off the rack and pinion. As with many vehicles I have seen YouTube video's of.

I was checking for ball joint, control arm wear and there is some play elsewhere and I believe its the inner tie rod end. I only had the side jacked up so I'd have to get it up higher and check again.

But getting it out is the potential problem. I know these have been failing since 2007 builds and its only my passenger side.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-29-2012, 05:05 AM

Garage
I did both of mine a few months ago. You will need a "Inner Tie Rod" tool. Basically a long tube that goes over the inner tie rod, the kit comes with crows foot like wrenches that fit on the flat spots of the tie rod and clip in to slots on the tool, then usually use a 1/2" ratchet to turn on/off. Don't forget to put on the lock tite that comes with the tie rod.
To verify it, lift up the front end, shake the wheel at 3/9. Hold the inners and outers to see which one u hold tight stops the looseness in the wheel.
It's am easy but time consuming job but worth it instead of spending the money in labor.

2007 Jeep Compass 4x4 Limited (black)
2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS (blue)
post #3 of 13 Old 06-29-2012, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

@ronjr8102

I figured that might be the case. I wonder if you recall the size of the removal tool. Is it less than 1 1/2". I do have play I am just on 100% its the inner without another check which I want to do before I order the part.

There are a variety of removal tools, crows foot type on slip over. I am not sure if some with work if the flat is not along then entire knuckle.

I saw one in the US at a good price but whether it works or not??? http://www.harborfreight.com/inner-t...r-header-96558

Thanks

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 06-29-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-02-2012, 04:12 AM

Garage
That tool is the same one I have. Very simple to use and very easy to swap the inner tie rods. I got mine from RockAUTO, Moog, come with lifetime warranty.

post #5 of 13 Old 07-03-2012, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjr8102 View Post
That tool is the same one I have. Very simple to use and very easy to swap the inner tie rods. I got mine from RockAUTO, Moog, come with lifetime warranty.
With the flat side claw going on the end does the tie rod have to have a fully flat knuckly for it to slide over. I have seens crow's foot types which swing oven onto the wrench end of the tie rod after slid over. So I have not bought the tool yet. I did order the tie rod end, a Mevotech part and will pick it up tomorrow and see what it looks like.

Well now looking at the part I picked up. The knuck is flat for the tool on the inside end. Hence the claw cannot slide down inside the tool body over the knuckle. Unless they are put on first and the pipe arrangement slides over. But whats to keep in it place while is clicks into the end of the housing. Hmmm

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 07-03-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
post #6 of 13 Old 07-06-2012, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Well I have the inner tie rod and a removal tool.

Go figure the knuck size in not one of the sizes in the set for removing these. I checked the parts store who also had a different make and it was the same size I already have from Mevotech. These are used in Caravan's to 2007 as well why would a special size be used. I'll going to have to fabricate something to accomplish this job it appears.

33.6 mm is the larges metric size and two large imperial sizes aren't right either. It about a mm large than the 33.6 it appears.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 13 Old 07-07-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Tools Needed

Well Murphy struck but I avoided an incident but more on that later.

You would need the following or equivalent.

Removing the tie rod end
19 mm wrench
22 mm wrench
18mm deep socket for the tie rod bolt

Plyers for boot clip.

Inner tie rod removal tool (size unknow at this time)

Well I had the Mevotech part which it turned out had a shaft size where to boot goes over greater than 17mm while the OEM shaft is less than 17mm. The boot is a hard rubber/plastic and is not meant to stretch. Forcing it would likely end up splitting the boot end. Also the knuckle flats are non stardard size (not of the jaws in the removal tool fit).

I have ordered MOOG inner tie rod end and hope its to OEM spec on sizes otherwise what to do.

Ok I got the MOOG part and just finished installing it and put my tools away. Here I am sweating like a, ahh oh better not say that adjective, somebody might get offended. But I am a sweating and have a cold beer beside me, 2nd now.

There is a bit more to it than meet the eye. As for the knuck flats for the "inner tie rod removal tool". The OEM is 33.6mm and that is the large one in my kit. Yet the MOOG as well as two others (3 altogether) are larger. Why? Who knows but in the MOOG case I was able to tighten it with the 1-7/16 jaw even though it was sloppy. IMO the boot is more plastic than rubber having taken it off and had a good feel....

All went back together ok and job is DONE !!!! It was the passenger side in case anyone is interested. There are some peculiarities but I'll leave that out.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 07-07-2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added the job conclusion
post #8 of 13 Old 07-09-2012, 04:58 AM

Garage
Glad you got it done. If I remember I had no problems finding the right size wrench for the flats on both the tie rods but that sucks that you had issues. But a job well done. It's much easier on a lift then on the ground.

post #9 of 13 Old 07-09-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, for me to why the flat on three different parts all larger than OEM.
On a different topic my wife called saying the ESP and other light came on on the way to work. There is no connection to that. Other that the wheel which I checked and torqued the lugs on. I look at it this evening.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 13 Old 08-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Rok

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjr8102 View Post
I did both of mine a few months ago. You will need a "Inner Tie Rod" tool. Basically a long tube that goes over the inner tie rod, the kit comes with crows foot like wrenches that fit on the flat spots of the tie rod and clip in to slots on the tool, then usually use a 1/2" ratchet to turn on/off. Don't forget to put on the lock tite that comes with the tie rod.
To verify it, lift up the front end, shake the wheel at 3/9. Hold the inners and outers to see which one u hold tight stops the looseness in the wheel.
It's am easy but time consuming job but worth it instead of spending the money in labor.
Thanks for the info, Ron. I've been using Rock Auto for awhile now.
Question: is there one brand of tie rod end that works better/longer than another?
If I have to walk this road, I'd rather only do it once and do it right.
Thanks!
post #11 of 13 Old 08-10-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Use the MOOG part for the inner tie rod. They use the same size as OEM for the tool that is used to tighten it. Others I've looked at Don't and the size is not support by the tool see. Why they did that I don't know but I had to take my first one back and verified that MOOG was the same as an OEM in size. As for outter tie rods I have one with a grease fitting.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #12 of 13 Old 11-30-2013, 12:58 PM

Hey Tripplec! So if I'm reading you correctly you were able to use your tool from harbor freight with the Moogs? I got the wobbles on my driver's side and I know it's the inner. I was looking at the same Moogs at RockAuto but wondered if the harbor freight tool would work. Did you try renting from shops like AutoZone or similar? I always borrow from them.

Looking forward to your reply

2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4WD - Black
4 Cyl, 2.4L CVT
195,000/mi -
215/65R17 - Continental ProContact ECOPlus

Replaced entire front end suspension at 190,000mi (control arms, inner/outer tie rods, bushings, etc.) (did it myself)

new Monroe struts at 160,000/mi (did it myself)
Ball Joints 2x-both sides - various mileage (did it myself)
post #13 of 13 Old 11-30-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Red face

I got the inner tie rod tool from a Canadian tool source and it comes with a variety of size ends. The end the tool goes over will fit OEM and Moog but NOT Mevotech or some other no name part. They use a non standard size and you'
re buggered if you try to install them.

In a nut shell the Moog tie rod end is correct size and if you get the removal tool kit one of the socket type ends will fit. Remember when tightening you cranking against the innards of the rack and pinion steering. Don't got crazy. I cannot come out once the other end is connected.
CarlosHRNYC likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in