Wheel Bearings / 3rd Time Around..... - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 07-01-2012, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Wheel Bearings / 3rd Time Around.....

Coming up to 130,000 showing on the Speedo..Just replaced the 3rd Rear Wheel Bearing. L/R at 24,000km's , the R/R at 64,000 and now back to the L/R one more time coming up to the 130,000...Seeing as the 1st and 2nd time they were under warranty...Would it be a Faulty in the Factory Replacement Parts?? 3rd time around the Garage used SKF bearings..........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Enjoy Your Day / Do It Safely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-08-2012, 04:16 PM

Warranty parts? Who's bearings were used?
Is this an 2007 or ??? AWD??

Seems pretty quick wear out.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-09-2012, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Warranty parts? Who's bearings were used?
Is this an 2007 or ??? AWD??

Seems pretty quick wear out.

That's the Whole Bally Wack... 2008 Jeep Compass 2WD,The 1st and 2nd time which constituted both rear wheel bearings were covered under Warranty since it happened before 120,000. I had 128,000 plus when the L / R Bearing started howling , so that be the 2nd time for that side and the particular garage I took the Compass to used SKF bearings for replacement... Had to replace the front outer tie rods at the sametime...It just strikes me that only 120,000 and I'm having issues with wheel bearings and front end parts...I'm Retired so I don't use the car as a daily commuter and neither the wife or I are hard on cars..On the flip side we've replaced the brake pads on the front twice and the rear pads 1st time at 108,000km's....

Enjoy Your Day / Do It Safely

Last edited by ConcFour; 07-09-2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: year of Compass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-10-2012, 01:02 AM

SKF are made in China I expect now so the quality may not be what they used to be. Call up SKF they may warranty a free bearing but then there is the labour. All of this is early for wear on any vehicle. I have just started on mine now it seems a RF ball joint may be wearing a bit now. I just spent two hours chasing a ESP/BAS TCS lights on so I am tired out now and the sun is going down.

If you don't get a free bearing I'd get something else. Clearly its not standing up so why pay for another one.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #5 of 5 Old 08-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Rok

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
SKF are made in China I expect now so the quality may not be what they used to be. Call up SKF they may warranty a free bearing but then there is the labour. All of this is early for wear on any vehicle. I have just started on mine now it seems a RF ball joint may be wearing a bit now. I just spent two hours chasing a ESP/BAS TCS lights on so I am tired out now and the sun is going down.

If you don't get a free bearing I'd get something else. Clearly its not standing up so why pay for another one.
I myself have neem looking the TIMKEN rear hub assemblies. The experiences I've had with my Broncos using their bearings have all been -excellent-.
Our 2013 Compass is making a rhytmic "growling" noise that gest worse with right turns. It sounds like the left rear wheel bearing to me but I can't be sure.
Despite the fact that it's going into the dealer tomorrow for warranty service for this issue, if I could confirm it truly IS the rear wheel bearing making the noise, I'd replace (upgrade) both rear hub assemblies to the Timkens.
I took my father-in-law (ex-mechanic) for a ride the other day and he says it's (left) rear wheel bearing also. He explained some phenomenon called "Boxcar fatigue" or somesuch term, which as he describes, comes during the vehicle being initially transported. The bearings remain in the same position throughout transport, which enable the bearings to continuously hammer the same place on the bearing race (he didn't specify inner or outer race) and pit it. The bad spot manifests itself by the exact symptom I'm having now.
In case it matters, there's currently about 9100 miles on this 4x4 Compass. I did the second tire rotation/checkin all for inflation last weekend. I also changed the oil for the second time and went with a full synthetic, Mobil one 5-20 and a new Hastings oil filter.
At 9100 miles, I wouldn't have expected something like this but it's been making noise for a while now. Road noise from the front end is also increasing. This thing is just generally NOISEY.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in