Front Lower control arm Replaced - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 07-28-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Talking Front Lower control arm Replaced

We I just finished swapping out my right side control arm. The ball joint had some play although not visible from merely rocking the tire as many demonstrate. Movement was visible moving the wheel and metalic sound when the body went well up and down as in going over a speed bump.

Many prochures around including video's although from experience. The job required a lot more effort, time and struggling to get the old one out and getting the new one in. I know I spent at least 2hrs doing it since it was quit the struggle. I had no intention of having a mechanic do it and with do the left side as soon as I see some movement.

Turns out during this I noticed that my brake linings are near the end of life so I be at it again in a few weeks dropping in new pads.

With 80k on this now it looks like I slowing working through these pivot areas as expected. They'll all be perishing soon now.

If you are doing it you'll need a good assortment of tools and pry bars. I have an air gun which makes the bolt removal and tighten quick.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 AM

Garage
I did my drivers side a little while ago, didn't notice play in the ball joint until I replaced the inner tie rods, after they were tight the ball joint showed its looseness. It's a little of a pain, my co worker at the Auto Center told me to hit the front of the control ARM to get the back in, plus using a pry bar to open up the spots on the frame helps too.

2007 Jeep Compass 4x4 Limited (black)
2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS (blue)
post #3 of 8 Old 08-01-2012, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Pretty well the same here. Thats when I noticed it. I could hear some metal to metal sound on some bad bumps and dips as well as speed bumps. Wheel checking showed nothing.

As for removing etc as you said I did that all and more also a BFH now and then. They're rusted in.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-10-2012, 03:19 AM

Just replaced my right front ball joint a couple days ago - had some play in it. Didn't seem to fix a whole lot as far as the noises were concerned. Rocked the wheel back and forth on level ground (with normal pressure on the tire) and found the noise to be coming from what seems to be a broken strut, toward the base. Replacing the strut tomorrow, which will hopefully clear up the metal on metal sound (this pretty much occurs on every quick bump). Will keep you posted.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 02:00 AM

lol WOW i'm shocked you got 80 k out of them! I have changed both lower control arms twice LOL give it another 40k before you have to do those trailing arms in the rear at 400$ a piece

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
190,000 km (Always in the shop)
Recently Overhauled every link/bushing in the front/rear
20% tint on windows
Lamin-X smoked tail lights
Painted all silver interior trim satin black.
I strongly Reccomend You Don't buy a Jeep Compass!!!!
post #6 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackman View Post
lol WOW i'm shocked you got 80 k out of them! I have changed both lower control arms twice LOL give it another 40k before you have to do those trailing arms in the rear at 400$ a piece
I was watching them for a long time and they looked fine with the normal wheel test. But when I changed the inner tie rod on the passenger side. I notice ONLY when moving the steer wheel side with pressure from the rack and pinon a ever so slight movement withing the ball joint. After change the control arm you cannot feel anything.

I did not throw the arm away since its 95% ok (want a spare Zac??). People would normally wear it a lot more before changing.

I am haunted by cupping of my tires and get a howl on the highway. I took the Compass to my tire shop and they had a look and said yeap thats the problem right away. The solution is alignment. But the front has no adjustments for alignment having been threw once side entirely its pretty well all fixed. I known the rear upper control arm is solid (fixed) as well so how to resolve it is unknow. My tire shop say he can have an alignment shop check and assess it for a fee.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 8 Old 08-26-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
I was watching them for a long time and they looked fine with the normal wheel test. But when I changed the inner tie rod on the passenger side. I notice ONLY when moving the steer wheel side with pressure from the rack and pinon a ever so slight movement withing the ball joint. After change the control arm you cannot feel anything.

I did not throw the arm away since its 95% ok (want a spare Zac??). People would normally wear it a lot more before changing.

I am haunted by cupping of my tires and get a howl on the highway. I took the Compass to my tire shop and they had a look and said yeap thats the problem right away. The solution is alignment. But the front has no adjustments for alignment having been threw once side entirely its pretty well all fixed. I known the rear upper control arm is solid (fixed) as well so how to resolve it is unknow. My tire shop say he can have an alignment shop check and assess it for a fee.

Lets meet up sometime this week i can come up to your area i actually have some parts i would like to give you. I am Picking up my new Audi monday from the dealership and selling the jeep. Over the past couple of years you have been a great help on the forum and i appreciate the time you have taken to talk to me and discuss issues.

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
190,000 km (Always in the shop)
Recently Overhauled every link/bushing in the front/rear
20% tint on windows
Lamin-X smoked tail lights
Painted all silver interior trim satin black.
I strongly Reccomend You Don't buy a Jeep Compass!!!!
post #8 of 8 Old 08-28-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackman View Post
Lets meet up sometime this week i can come up to your area i actually have some parts i would like to give you. I am Picking up my new Audi monday from the dealership and selling the jeep. Over the past couple of years you have been a great help on the forum and i appreciate the time you have taken to talk to me and discuss issues.
Does it come with Quatro 4x4, curious?

Sent PM on Sunday.

Enjoy, burned some gas by now I am sure with the great weather for driving.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in