Engine Knock? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Engine Knock?

I have had my compass a year now and love it. The last 6 months I noticed when it is cold it has a slight engine knock. When it warms up all the way it is`nt there. If I give it part throttle around 2500K RPMS you can really hear it. I was wondering if anyone else expereinces anything like this. I have the 2.4L and run Royal Purple 5W-20. I don`t know if these engines are just noisy or what. It is really driving me crazy. Any help or thoughts? Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 PM

You should change you oil. It should not be doing that.

Year and miles on it???

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

It is a 2011 with 11K miles on it. I am going to try and change the oil and see if it still does it. It still has warranty on it. It started doing it around 6 or 7K miles. It only does it when cold and takes 5 minutes or so to go away. I don`t know if it is piston slap or what. I am starting to wonder about my investment as I plan to keep this vehicle a very long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 11:07 PM

Well in that case the oil would not have an effect. Too thin might and heavier may quiet it.

But is sure sounds like "Piston Slap". The piston is pivoting in the cylinder and slapping the side walls going up and down. It usually stops as the engine heats up since they expand with heat. The oil also thickens up from 5w to 20 as well as it come to temperature. The only remedy is slightly large pistons. For that the engine needs to be torn down.

Given the miles on I would just take it to a reputable dealer and have them listen to it. But good luck on it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-10-2012, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for replying. Yeah I think that is what I will do. I just hate the dam deeler and know it will be a fight with them. But it is under warranty and they should fix it.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-10-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liggettj View Post
Thank you for replying. Yeah I think that is what I will do. I just hate the dam deeler and know it will be a fight with them. But it is under warranty and they should fix it.
Don't take no for an answer.
- if they don't call Chrysler and open case escalate it with them
- take it to a different dealer (I've used at least 4 different dealers)
- where are you located there are independant organization to bring this to but don't wait too long. I did but still got a major problem resolved in the end but a year and half later. That takes the enjoyment out of a new vehicle.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 10 Old 10-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Without hearing a soundclip, short of piston slap it probably isn't much of an issue. On my old 2008 Patriot when it was cold the damn thing sounded like a diesel when it started up when it was cold out, other patriot owners had similar experiences. My 2012 Compass isn't quite as bad but it does sound "rougher" when started, once warmed up everything is fine.

Also of note ran full synthetic in my old patriot and my new compass
post #8 of 10 Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

I love the compass and want to keep it a long time. This is the first vehicle I have been really happy and fits my lifestyle. I searched a bunch of sound clips and it does sound rough. It does go away when the engine is warm. The noise started around when I switched to full synthetic. I run the reccomended grade 5w-20. It is really noticeable around 2100 RPMS under very light throttle. When the temp gauge goes just above a quarter it goes away. I like the new technology and fuel effeincy but swear they don`t build cars like they use to.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-19-2012, 06:48 PM

One the next oil change use a different Synthetic.

Quaker State
Pensoil Platinum
Castro Edge

See if it does it still or go back to regulare Dino oil. These engines should be pretty tight and the tolerance have to be right on in order to use the light 5w20 grade.

I just got back from out of town driving my old Jeep Grand Cherokee. Filling up be getting on the highway. Then when I got home. I got a great 28MPG on this 2002. Thats pretty close to what I would get on the Compass moving at 120-130km/hr most of the time. From previous tests the Compass millage dies above 110Km/hr and is below 30MPG. Its not an efficient engine and can't see how they can even get close to the 40MPG they advertise on some years/model without a tailwind and downhill. For those in the area this is in the stretch from Kingston to Toronto on the 401 then including north on Markham Rd (hwy 4 another 20 min or so through the city. But 28MPG on this much bigger and heavier vehicle is real good, best yet.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 10 Old 10-19-2012, 07:29 PM

Garage
I found this in the manual

look at it (from the repair manual):

Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine noise.jpg (49.9 KB, 17 views)

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in