Oil Change light. - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 10-21-2012, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Bib

Garage
Oil Change light.

I have a 2012 Jeep Compass Limited, with every option except Trail Rating. I've driven 4700 kms. in 5 months. The change oil warning came on today. I was expecting to be able to get more kms. or at least 6 months as the Jeep manual says. Is this normal for the first oil change? Have others the same experience? I pleased with my purchase so far.

Bib
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-21-2012, 02:18 PM

It's variable and 6 months is quite a long interval. Better more frequent oil changes then one oil change and another engine for it.

Outside temperature, driving habits, length of drives taken plus many other metric's the computer monitors. Many short drives without full warm up will cause more frequent changes. More long highway drive would result in a longer interval.

I would not want my first oil change that long anyway. You could pave your driveway with it. It will be jet black coming out as it is.

My comfort level on oil changes disapate quickly as it passes beyond 5000km and only tolerated depending on the oil filter I've used (Usually Wix) and oil brand and if synthetic is used. I winter I use synthetic for the quick flow and superior characteristic if offers for the very cold weather. I'd be willing to let it go longer knowing synthetic is in it but no longer than the light. At the moment I change based on my millages and don't wait for the light. Oil changes is still the cheapest maintenance you can do for any engine to keep it running well and longer. I got 4 jugs 5L, of Quaker State synthetic for this and my other two vehicles for the winter at about $20 less then normal ($26 each). I do stick to very well known brand for oil and key items. Noname is never on my shopping list especially oil. Wait for a deal and stock up if you are DIY as I am.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 10-22-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Edited and added further content.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-22-2012, 03:20 PM

X2

From the Owner Manual:
NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change
intervals exceed 8,000 miles (13 000 km) or six months,
whichever occurs first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Some good advice there. I did my first oil change at around the 2500 mile mark mainly to get the break in oil out but as tripplec suggested, the oil change interval is duty cycle based according to driving habits but it's never recommended to exceed the intervals recommended by the manufacturer, even when using synthetic.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in