Temp Gauge - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 12-29-2012, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Temp Gauge

Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct section!

Last night my boyfriend and I drove to a "neighboring" town to do some shopping - plus to just get out of town for awhile.
On the drive home, we were watching the outside temperature and groaning - it was fluctuating between -3 and -11 degrees F. About half way home, I looked over at the temp gauge and saw the needle wasn't where it usually is. Now I haven't driven in much weather that cold since last winter and I don't remember where the needle would rest at that point. When it's this cold, I usually stay at home, just doing in town driving, with most trips being very short, so the needle never fully makes it to its desired resting location.
The needle - during the summer months - usually rests fairly close to the middle point of the gauge. Last night it was resting more between 1/4 and half. I'm wondering if this is because of the cold and me driving the vehicle at highway speeds. Would that affect that at all?
Thank you in advance!

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 PM

Garage
I think it is pretty normal. The needle in my 2012 Compass behaves exactly like that for summer/winter and the 2010 Patriot I owned before the Compass was exactly the same also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-29-2012, 11:25 PM

Yes, my '09 Caliber does about the same.
1/2 way up in "nice" weather.
1/4 to 1/2 in cold (subfreezing) weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys! That helps ease my mind
On another note, has anyone noticed a little bit of a drop in the level of coolant in the reservoir? I've read online that in the cold the coolant contracts and the level can drop a bit. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this.

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #5 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 05:41 AM

Yes coolant " contracts a bit in Colder weather, but should return back to normal when driven a while. I wouldn't add any fluids when this happens due to it might expand and overfill the coolant tank. Also I notice the same with MY 300C temp gauge when it's colder in town.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 12:24 PM

Check your owner's manual regarding coolant level.

There are two marks on the recovery bottle:
Add and Full Hot.
So long as the coolant level is between these two lines, your level is good.

As you have seen, the level can vary a lot between a cold engine and one that is up to temperature.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

I've been keeping an eye on the coolant level and I swear it's still slowly dropping. If I remember correctly, a long time ago it seemed to hover around the cold line when the engine was cold. Now it's about an inch below that. At first I thought it was just due to the cold weather but I'm really starting to wonder now since it still seems to be dropping.
I will be bringing it in within a month for an oil change so I will mention this at that time.
But I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Or if anyone has any ideas of what it might be?

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #8 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Update: Yesterday morning I had checked the coolant level before I left for a trip. It was an inch below the cold line when the engine was cold. My trip was an hour away and when I got back home, while the engine was still warm and the vehicle still running, I popped the hood to see where the coolant level was at when the vehicle was warm. It had moved up to the cold line.
I checked four hours later and the level had not moved.
I left it overnight and it had dropped between 1/4" to 1/2".
I'm just confused as to what is going on or if this is normal behavior???
I would really appreciate feedback.
Thank you!

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in