My Jeep Compass Forum banner

09 compass 4x4 cva trans,loss of acceleration

29K views 54 replies 20 participants last post by  JeepCares 
#1 ·
My first jeep, I love it but. has been losing loss of acceleration for 6 months.after coming to a complete stop , you step on gas and nothing happens.does it when it fills like it but always leaving light or stop sign:mad:. had pcm changed 2 weeks ago and just started loss of acceleration again.no codes come up every time. dealer has had it : off and on for 6 months. when dealer has it they never have a problem. so ill go there and test drive it with tech in the vehicle. they think I'm nuts. any one else having similar issues. there at a loss since there computer shows no bad codes.:(:(

#3 ·
NOT a good story . . . this is the first post of this nature, keep us posted.
Hopefully you can get this resolved, six months-wow!, and start to enjoy the vehicle.

#4 ·
GPS.......first welcome to the forum and tell us a bit more details about year, model of your Compass.........never heard anything like this though......

#5 ·
help

silver, 4 cyl ,north edition , 2.4L auto,# Freedom-Drive I active full-time 4x4 with selectable 4WD LOCK Electronically Controlled Coupling, just to get that pcm changed was a fight because dealer says who paying,dealer will not because computer shows no bad codes, so i told them Ill pay for it, but still does same thing. I have come close to getting tee boned a few times. this is a very serious problem, Loss of acceleration , jeep should be takin off road , but they say keep driving, would any one else. so i have takin extra life insurance on myself,if i do get in a crash a tow it back to dealer , darn comp says no faults or codes show up. so im up a creak with no paddle.

#6 ·
also the first week i had jeep, some one stole gas cap. so drove with no cap ,no lose cap message.dealer say it fine, again no codes come up.so to prove a point i left the gas cap off for 3 weeks , and no gas cap message. think i have a, well dont want to say.im at a point of i dont trust any thing on this jeep, how do i sell this ?CANT

#7 ·
Lemon Laws

What are the LEMON LAWS in BC?
Code or no codes, you have a serious problem it sounds, as much as I am convinced on the qualities of my vehicle, the law of averages means sooner or later somebody has to get stuck with a lemon.
I am sorry it seems to have happened to you, but be firm and persistent with the dealer.
Write them a letter and copy it to the parent company (Chrysler still owns Jeep I believe) and let them know should an accident occurs that they have been advised of the problem and have chosen to neglect it and have told you that your car is 100% safe for the road.

#9 ·
just to let you guys know i have also experienced this before in my 07 2.4l fwd dealer flashed my pcm numerous times. they even went to the extent of replacing the transmission! and there is a driving enhancement that can be programmed by dealer. it has seemed to go away for quite some time.

#10 ·
Tell me more . . . .

and there is a driving enhancement that can be programmed by dealer.
A what????
Zackman tell me more . . . .

#12 ·
wkjeeps.com/misc/Caliber/TSB/Caliber_1803107.pdf

i had this done i noticed a very slight difference but nothing crazy

#13 ·
just got my jeep back after 3 weeks,still does same thing,they don't have a clue of whats going on.looks like there are going to buy it back, thanks to camvap. just filling in paper work now.they all so changed the whole dash because the fuel light wood not come on. after leaving gas cap off,,really i have a lemon.

#14 ·
3 weeks ago they tried flashing ,rebooting ,didn't work , so they changed the pcm, didn't help so they changed the tps throttle sensor, that didn't help, all this for loss of acceleration from dead stop. and it always happens when the motor is cold, summer it did it a few times , but now that the cold is here it does it every day. the dealer ship had it for 2 weeks they called me and said we cant get it to do it,lol. please drive hear and show us. the day i got there i was praying do it for the tech, well he sat down had the comp plugged in i started the jeep and drove 20 feet and stopped, then tech says ok lets go, well i looked at him and said the gas peddle is to the floor, his computer saying the gas peddle tps is open 100%, well he couldn't believe it. kept my foot to floor 20 secs later the jeep slowly takes off until I'm at 5000 rpm. he says ok ok stop. i wait till he says ok lets go, step on gas 50% nothing 100% , he saying again lets go he looks down at my foot and gas peddle is to the floor. 3 times in a row. parked it back at dealer its still there 2 this day.
when i did drive it :) wife wants me to get another compass. :roll eyes: Reading all the reviews from every one has been a great help. now i have to choose one of three arbitrators, I will be back , let you know what i buy next.

#15 ·
They gotta make it work right or give you another one.
I know you would love driving it would it work right.

#16 ·
when i head out to work early morning i pull out drive maby 30 feet the gas pedal 50% and my car feels like i hit the brakes then it accelerates as normal

#17 · (Edited)
Tranny?

Just for the record, gps & zackman, what transmissions do you have?

Reason for asking is that I have never trusted the operation of automatic trans.

#19 ·
Interesting, because while the CVT is not a new concept, seems to me, that if you drove with no gas cap, and did not get a light/code (at the very least it should have shown an evap leak), and flashing/replacing the pcm didn't correct the problem, neither did the tps sensor, seems the miscommunication is between the computer and the transmission, perhaps the throttle linkage, because at WOT, the Compass has plenty of pick up and go, even cold and from a dead stop. I am curious myself now, and will have to see if I can find anything on this anywhere...

- Cherokee

#20 ·
Hello Jeep Lovers.
I heard of a recall back in Oct 2008 where they had a problem with the Powertrain Control Module causing lack of power when accelerating from a stop.. You can call Jeep Customer Service to see if your Jeep may apply to this recall.
The number is: 1 800 853 1403
You'll need the last 8 numbers of your VIN

Good Luck

#22 ·
Having the same problem

I have taken it to 4 different auto shops now and the last was the chrysler dealership and they did all the updated and I am still having the same problem!!! IT does not do it all the time but it only happens when I am at a full stop then go to take off. I am so fustrated that no one can figure out whats wrong with it.

#23 ·
I have taken it to 4 different auto shops now and the last was the chrysler dealership and they did all the updated and I am still having the same problem!!! IT does not do it all the time but it only happens when I am at a full stop then go to take off. I am so fustrated that no one can figure out whats wrong with it.
its bullshit i know! ive been is your shoes and i still am!!! a class action lawsuit needs to be filed against chrysler corp. you guys have no idea how much i shop time my vehicle has had. i might make a thread later today. at the current moment im trying to find a left control arm because today my ball joint started making a shitload of noise. lastnight i pulled into a parking spot. put my jeep into park and 2sec later my rpms dropped the engine shuttered and my gauges and headlights went dim? and i would say alternator but that was replaced at 45,000km :mad:

#26 ·
Hey sshortt, welcome aboard, and sorry to hear of your problem as well. It really must stink to be fighting the lemon law, the dealership and Chrysler all at the same time and still be stuck with a vehicle you can barely drive! Anyone have any updates on these problems? Anyone's situation been resolved?

- Cherokee

#28 ·
This is not sounding good. Heard of it happening with Ram trucks, but not the Compass. Beagledad, have you taken yours to the dealer to see what they say? Awesome sig pic, BTW! :)

- Cherokee

#29 ·
I have not for this problem because not so sure this lag is do to the trany. The jeep is wifes car mine an 05 pt cruiser both have the 2.4l engine however mine is a 5 speed manual trans and it has the same problem and the easiest explination is they built the engine knowing that most of us USA (LONG LIVE THE PROUD AND BRAVE" are aggresive drivers always rushing it and it keeps us from blowing out the engine

#30 ·
My wife have a 2010 Compass with the same problem and it doesn't even have 7000 miles. A friend of ours also has the same problem with the Compass. I file a complaint with the NHTSA yesterday so they can investigate. I recommend to everyone to do the same so they take the complaint seriously.

#32 ·
problems still happening just had the catalytic converter replaced thanks to smog warranty it was covered also on my dime the alternator replaced $800 and an acctuator also replaced $450

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.