Steering Knuckle/Wheel Bearing/CV Axle - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 06-12-2013, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Steering Knuckle/Wheel Bearing/CV Axle

2 Issues:

1. I have a 2007 Jeep Compass 4wd. The RF wheel bearing went bad and well as the ball joint. I replaced the bearing 2X -1st. Had it pressed out of the knuckle and new in first by my local mechanic. 2nd had it pressed out and pressed in by my local Jeep dealership. Both times (even though jeep dealership said its normal) the hub bearing and knuckle assembly were loose just slightly. Once I put it together on the vehicle it still was like a loose tooth and the wheel wiggled from front to back and vice versus. I have ruled out tie rod end because it is definitely snug and cv joint is brand new going to my next issue. Possibly a warped Knuckle???

2. Replaced the CV Axle on the RF because the old one's end was fudged up by hammering to break it loose from the hub (it was rusted together). Bought a new one from the dealership and popped out the old one and entered the new one smoothly and carefully. Both were exact same size and I also replaced/refilled transmission the CVT+4 Mopar Fluid lost fluid by the exact amount loss with a measuring funnel i used to have for racing. Now after putting loose bearing on yesterday drove it out of driveway and down the road. The CVT made a loud deep whining noise and seemed to be worse when let off the accelerator. Then about 1.5 miles later before turning around the 4WD! light came on. Any ideas? Yes I tried pulling the 4WD lock button several times and it would not kick off.

62,000 miles - last CVT flush from dealership was at 46,000 miles.

Trying to put my wife through nursing school, I am mechanically able, this is my first Jeep and I am not fond of some of the designs even though at first buying it looked simple, maybe too simple HA! Was a GM fan and those have proven easier to work on for me as well as cheaper on the repair pocket book . When the jeep works well though it is fun to drive.

Thank You If You Can Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-12-2013, 03:39 PM

If you altered the steering position (wheel inside not flat driving straight). Then there is some sensor which will kick in the ABS/stability control and 4WD light. If found out the hard way after changing an inner tie rod. You of course have to disassemble and crank the threads one way or the other until your steering wheel its level going straight. The lights will go out in a few Km. It took me 5 goes at it partially because I went the wrong way first making it worst. LOL Sometimes we outsmart ourselves thinging it out in detail. The physics of which way to turn for a specific result and get it wrong. This will also happen with the outter rod end since you unthreading it. I counted the thread and did the same going back in but again outsmarted myself and it was still wrong. Don't know why unless the part is a different length.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 06-12-2013 at 03:41 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-15-2013, 03:39 PM

from past experience the bearing in hub might allow for a little bit of wiggle before every thing is back on and torqued.

if u already got the axle nut back on and torqued and ur still getting movement something if def wrong there.

i did the cv axle on my wifes but didnt have any symptoms after. not sure whats up with that.

good luck with the compass man, these front ends will drive u nuts!! control arms, rod ends, and Bj's will give u many headaches. but as u said u are mechanically inclined they are somewhat easy to work on

07 compass 2.4L 4x4 CVT: (all stock)
wifes car...when it breaks its my headache... Located in the US
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree with the following statement... DO NOT BUY A COMPASS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-15-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
good luck with the compass man, these front ends will drive u nuts!! control arms, rod ends, and Bj's will give u many headaches. but as u said u are mechanically inclined they are somewhat easy to work on
Yeah they will for sure. "Cheap Jeep" your current experience is not with a Jeep since the Compass is Calibre Dodge car skinned as a Jeep and I believe a FIAT design. If you have to pull the alternator you'll have words some may heard spoken in a long time.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in