Overheating while Idling - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 06-18-2013, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Overheating while Idling

I have a 2011 Compass 2.0, my issue is that after driving for a bit, it will start to heat when I come to a stop light, or when it is just idling, more so when the a/c is on. When I am driving it is just fine, and the gauge stays around the halfway mark, The radiator fluid is fine and staying where it needs to be in the resevoir, the rad. is full, and the fans are working also. I'm thinking I may need to change the thermostats, but I am also unsure of where they are both located. I have only owned the Compass for a few months
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-18-2013, 02:32 PM

If you're under your 3 year warranty and should be take it in.

Yes there are two thermostats on both the engines used. They never seem to have a standard home position I find that other vehicles have once hot. They will read lower than expected and also higher at many times. However if its NOT going about the 12 o'clock I would not be overly concerned. I am a gauge watcher when I am driving and know what is normal and not.

Ita of consderable value if your post includes all the vehicle details and millage in your signature for reference of reader.

A working E-fan and mostly clear front core fins (not bug filled) are the first areas to inspect. No effort and no cost to do. Merely requires working eyes to verify proper operation and condition. A coin care wash with its soap spray can help flush some bugs off the front AC core I might add.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-18-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

it's a 2011 2.0, with roughly 33,000 miles on it, and when I'm driving normally it does stay roughly right on the 12 o'clock marker, but when sitting at a light it'll go up past the 3/4 or sometimes throw the overheat warning light. Only thing that gets it to come back down is revving the engine, but that is only when idling at a stoplight or parked after its been running for awhile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-18-2013, 03:08 PM

Ok, well there is a problem without question. As to what is a process of elimination. If generally ok on the highway the thermostats may be ok.

Aluminum blocks do not agree with overheating and hitting the RED line is a major concern since warping can easily occur on some engines.

Having owned it for a few months I would take it back to get fixed. Don't use the AC when its moving pass 12 o'clock. Its only a matter of time before other engine damage will occur. That is not a lot of miles so water pump etc should not be an issue.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-18-2013, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

oh yea I never use the a/c when it's doing that

2011 Jeep Compass
2.0L 33,000 Miles and Counting
K&N Air Intake
Class III 2" Hidden Hitch
post #6 of 10 Old 06-18-2013, 04:26 PM

You should be working on bringing the temp down ASAP after it is rising above normal. Its too late when it hits the RED mark on most engines especially of they're oil is not the best possible oil used which helps but warping is caused buy the excessive heat as is gasket failure.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Well I changed out both thermostats and have had no futher issuews since I changed them

2011 Jeep Compass
K&N Air Intake
post #8 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 05:38 PM

Good, nice to have success on trouble shooting.

That is one job I am not looking forward to. I don't know how many of these engines have that problem occur. How long did it take you?

I have been busy fixing all sorts of thing. Front axle seal went and it took the dealer all day. first time it leaked right away and it need doing a 2nd time after they got another part. It never ends with this vehicle.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

it took me about 2 hours from start to finish, but I also threw in a rad. flush

2011 Jeep Compass
K&N Air Intake
post #10 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldglory04 View Post
it took me about 2 hours from start to finish, but I also threw in a rad. flush
I see thats not the bad concidering you have to deal with two of them and get the air out of the system.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in