12,000 miles and overheating after 1-2 hour drive. - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

12,000 miles and overheating after 1-2 hour drive.

2012 Jeep Compass Limited 4WD - 12,000 miles

Anyone have any transmission overheating problems? I've overheated three times so far on a 1 to 2 hour drive. I'm in Arizona so the outside temperature was around 105-110F but I don't think that should really matter considering how new the vehicle is.

This happens after about 1 hour of driving at approximately 80mph. It starts off with a high pitch whining noise and after a bit the transmission temp light will come on and the power will be reduced to a cruise around 60-70 (depending on what it restricts it to).

The dealership tried scanning for codes and of course nothing came up. I just dropped it off today for them to borrow it for 2 days to try and replicate the problem. I have a feeling they won't actually take the time to drive it 2 hours until the light comes on... any ideas what my next step should be if that's the case?

On a side note - they did pay for my rental for 2 days but I had to pay for gas and the $30/day insurance...I would think that should be covered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Do you have the freedom drive 2(II) option. I have a 2012 Compass Limited 4x4 although I don't live in a hot climate like arizona, I have not had issues. The FDII option raises(actually lowers) the final drive ratios so you have a higher rpm on the highway. I have that option and have not ever had any issue with overheating on the highway although I only ever go about 70mph at the most. If your compass didn't come with a transmission cooler you could think about putting one in, although since it is a new vehicle you shouldn't have to since it should work without one.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:29 PM

Outside temp should not be a factor. The whining could be something slipping of if there is a pump in the CVT something wrong with it. Keep at them since the steel belt inside may also be defective. The CVT cannot be repaired only swapped out for a new one. Been there and done that already on mine. They're expensive and a big job taking days.

The transmission (see your owners manual for specific) can tow up to 2000lbs if you have a COOLER. But note the cooler is for the ENGINE not the transmission like other regular automatics. It keeps the engine running cooler under load. High quality oil and/or synthetic oil will make it easier on the engine in those situations. But there is no external oil cooler for the CVT whether you tow or not. I know all of this is not relivent to your situation but I am putting it out there just in case.

99% if the CVT fluid is not real low which they should have detected already as the first thing to check. You're going to need a new CVT. They're wasting your time if its happening since there is nothing they can do other than change the fluid and filter but that is a service requirement arte 100k miles which you are knowhere near. Hence NEW CVT is the only resolutions. Tell them you want a new CVT since its not serviceable and its the CVT everytime having a problem.

You can take it to another dealer if they're not helping you and/or complain to Chrysler customer service and open a case which will speed it up.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 02:31 PM

You have to have rental vehicle endosement on your own insurance which would cover the rental as well. Then you would save the $30/day. Call your broker and ask if you have it and change the arrangement or you'll need it again soon enough.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the input! Will get a hold of Chrysler and my insurance today.

Any idea if it would be possible to ask for the new 2014 6-speed A/T transmission? Ha.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 PM

I heard rummors that the CVT was going to die in the lineup but it does not appear just yet. IMO there is no fuel savings at all and a big downside that i cannot be repaired reliably at least anyway. High millage vehicles will be few if any for that reason. None will pay the dealer price to get it replaced and if a transmission shop would even concider attempting a rebuild at this time is doubtful. Specialized training is required and parts for it. Its labour intensive process as well.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

I was expecting better MPG but right before I brought it into the dealer the screen read average 17.5mpg which is usually accurate when I do the manual calculations. And that's with 50/50 freeway/city driving.

Hopefully it has something to do with the transmission overheating and it's all fixed at once.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

So the dealer drove for 30 miles and didn't see the transmission light come on (obviously). They contact Star Center who told them to replace the "Cooler Bypass Valve".

I guess we'll see what happens on my next long drive....
Old 06-26-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT52 View Post
So the dealer drove for 30 miles and didn't see the transmission light come on (obviously). They contact Star Center who told them to replace the "Cooler Bypass Valve".

I guess we'll see what happens on my next long drive....
It quite amazing that with all the smarts. The PCM does not record the over heat state in the logs as a fault. I don't know anything about that valve and as far as I can see the CVT fluid is a closed system and no external fluid cooler for it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Old 07-06-2013, 03:52 AM

TT52,
I have also the same year and model as you, and travel from Las Vegas to LA, and the exact same has happened to me each time I travel. It is the exact same problems as you. I have to stop and put the transmission in neutral for about 20 minutes until the light goes out and then I can continue. It has a high pitch wining noise at around 75 and up. It overheats, then slows down to 40MPH, at full throttle. I have taken it to the dealer, and they cannot find anything, and test drove it 4 times. But they will not drive it for 1-2 hours and uphill. I did record it on my phone camera, and will post it on youtube, let me know if your interested in seeing it, or keep in touch to see how we can come together to get Jeep to fix this issue.
Dave
Old 07-06-2013, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

My resolution...trade the jeep in for a new Dodge Charger SXT. Ha. I was so fed up with the issue and the dealership not being able to replicate the problem so I just gave up. Luckily I was able to trade it in for more than I paid so I didn't lose out on much (TTL fees).

If you DO figure out the issue, please let me know because I'm still curious.

I also have a video of it whining but without the temp light coming on. If you ever need that vid for more proof to your dealership, just let me know. [email protected]
Old 07-06-2013, 01:15 PM

From my experience they resist doing anything with the CVT since its not a servicable part. It took me over a year before mine was replaced. I endured a horrible driving experience all that time in a new vehicle.

Open a case with Chrysler I found would be the fastest way. Then they are involve while its a the dealer and will dictate what the dealer should do. It not acceptable to suffer with these problems on a new vehicle. They can be in a corner if a problem is brought in three times and not fixed as well. Outside forces come to bear where they are forced to do something where they like it or not. Including buying back the vehicle.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in