possible bad front shock, help! - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 07-13-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

possible bad front shock, help!

my wifes car started making bad noises in the front end again...having replaced the front control arms (for a second time) with factory OEM arms exactly one yr ago, i was thinking how could they be bad again???!!!

upon a quick poke around under the car everything seems tight and i found that the driver side shock appeared to have been leaking oil for idk how long.

im wondering if the shock has gone bad and the lack of dampening in causing the rattling on the bumpy roads.

b4 i just start throwing parts at i was hoping to get some feedback from u guys? anybody have their shock go bad yet? can i just unbolt the shaft of the shock from the top inside the engine bay and feel if it has any resistance

also can i replace shock/strut assembly at home or will ther still be tension on the spring even when jacked up?

100K mile on the car btw

07 compass 2.4L 4x4 CVT: (all stock)
wifes car...when it breaks its my headache... Located in the US
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree with the following statement... DO NOT BUY A COMPASS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-14-2013, 07:02 AM

Garage
Clunk noises and oil dripping from the shock, yup, sounds like its bad. To test the shock you would have to remove the strut assembly from the vehicle then compress the spring with a spring compressor tool that you can rent from just about any auto parts store (don't undo the top middle nut with out compressing the spring first, it can shoot out and possibly cause injury). With the strut out and the spring compressed, press down on the shock, you should feel resistance and then it should slide back up on its own. If you can press it down too easy or rises up really slow or maybe not even rise at all then its bad.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-14-2013, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

thanks, the process u described is what i was getting at but didnt realize I would have to compress the spring just to test the shock.

so in that case i guess i would have to use the compressor tool to replace the whole shock and strut assembly? the way u described it makes it sound like the shock/strut assembly and spring all come out together and the spring is still compressed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 04:18 AM

Garage
You got it. The shock is actually called strut because the spring is attached to it (sorry, I should have cleared that up on my last post).

Once you undo the top three nuts and the lower two bolts and anything that might be attached to the strut, it should all come out as one piece. The spring is slightly compressed but its enough to shoot out once the top nut gets loose.

Some examples with out the tool:
How to remove a spring from a strut? Funny, the wrong way do not try this - YouTube
How NOT to do a Strut - YouTube
post #5 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

LOL at the vid's!!

ok i got it now thanks for the help DEF1ANT.
i just ordered the shock/strut assembly and im gona rent the spring compressor from autozone, ill let u guys know how it go's

post #6 of 8 Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

just to update

I got the new shock an strut in and it totally fixed the issue. once i got the spring off of the old strut it was very obvious the shock was bad hardly had any resistance.

FYI it wasnt as hard as i thought it would be. I mad etwo quick vids that i will also post in the DIY section that will help someone if they are about to do this for the first time.

Jeep Compass, Remove Front Shock and Strut-Part 1 - YouTube

Part 2-Jeep Compass Shock and Strut Replacement - YouTube

post #7 of 8 Old 07-24-2013, 02:54 AM

I used a manual tool to compress the spring. Good quality steel and either a ratchet or air gun to bring it in on two sides until all is free. One has to be very carefull the spring cannot get free, it can be like a bomb going off with the energy in them.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #8 of 8 Old 07-24-2013, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

mustv been similar to the one i used. it was safer and easier than i thought it would be

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in