Jeep Compass 2007 Tie rod - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 49 Old 11-04-2009, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Jeep Compass 2007 Tie rod

I recently took my 2007 compass in to get looked at for the brakes. They told me my tie rods were worn and the sway bar bushing was rotted. Any one else had any problems like this? They are telling me its 1400 dollars to fix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 11-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Brody..........first welcome to the forum and unless you have really high milleage.............shouldn't this be under warranty???

I know I would argue a bit with a $1400 bill ....good luck and let us know !!!!

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 49 Old 11-05-2009, 10:29 PM

Garage
I had a 2002 saturn sc1 before the compass and I needed new upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends and the bill for that was going to be $2500 so I can see it costing that much

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 11-06-2009, 03:38 AM

40,000km my tie-rods were done new ones were replaced under warranty. and my sway bar endlinks i believe are the same thing they were dead 70,000km i replaced mine by myself it cost me 60 dollars in parts and they are made by moog racing. as for tie rods they are around 100 each and you need an alignment after. i would suggest staying away from mopar suspension parts. i have 50,000k on the 2nd set of tie rods and they are already loose as hell!

tech speaking under 300ish for parts 100ish for alignment and 1.5-2hr labour it shouldnt cost a normal shop more then 550

i went to one dealer they charged 110 a hr hell thats what bmw charges in toronto!!!!!!..i went to a chrysler dealer 1hr away frm the city and they were 55 a hr and the price for the parts were 200 cheaper for a front control arm..

Last edited by zackman; 11-06-2009 at 03:41 AM.
post #5 of 49 Old 11-07-2009, 03:37 AM

Tie rod ends should not be that expensive or difficult to replace on your own. You would need to have an alignment check to follow though. The sway bar bushing should be easy enough too. I think that we will be sharing self help repair tips in our future here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #6 of 49 Old 11-07-2009, 05:11 PM

Do you do a lot of off- roading with your '07 Compass? I don't think tie rods and the sway bar bushing would go in only two years.
post #7 of 49 Old 11-07-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire410 View Post
Do you do a lot of off- roading with your '07 Compass? I don't think tie rods and the sway bar bushing would go in only two years.
the factory suspension is garbage at 60,000km i had to get the right front lower balljoint replaced and its only replaceable with a whole new control arm around 700 parts and labour.
post #8 of 49 Old 11-07-2009, 07:29 PM

DIY Discussion Board....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster2 View Post
I think that we will be sharing self help repair tips in our future here.
Or maybe this could be a new Discussion page on the home page of the Forum.... One-Stop-Shop for all of our Fix-It/DIY corner... Everything from Mechanical, stereo installation, mod installation, etc..

Something for the Moderators to think about - maybe if there's enough interst across the board, they'll make it happen...
post #9 of 49 Old 02-09-2010, 01:27 PM

tie rod ends

I have had my 2007 Compass for a little over 3yrs now and have 37,000 miles on it. Since I got it, I have had the front end tightened, new springs amd struts, new brakes (recall), front axle seal replaced, and now I'm being told that the tie rod ends are loose and need to be replaced. What is the life expectancy on tie rod ends? I have had all of the other front end stuff replaced because of noise in the front end, could this be part of that? I don't feel I should pay for this, even if my warranty is up, due to all of the problems that I have had with the front end since I got it! Any suggestions, should I call Chrysler, I have sent them an email last year and they told me to purchase an extended warranty. I feel they should stand behind their product, what do you think? With all that I've been reading on here, it sounds like they should be having a recall on the total front ends of the Compasses!
post #10 of 49 Old 02-10-2010, 07:52 PM

I struck a concrete island with my right front end and bent the right lower control arm, the wheel and ruined the tire. I really didn't think I was traveling fast. I was making a right turn and hit the curb of the island.

Last edited by umpire410; 02-10-2010 at 07:57 PM.
post #11 of 49 Old 02-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Ouch.........

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #12 of 49 Old 02-10-2010, 11:45 PM

Garage
Most ball joint and related front end jobs are very labor intensive. I would imagine that is the cause of the high cost. As far as doing it yourself, I would imagine that the actual job requires really decent tools, jacks,and other tools that the average shade tree mech. don't possess. Plus,from what I have seen and done in the past with respect to replacing struts and springs, it's not a safe job to tackle. I guess it's a case of if you're a trained auto tech,then sure DIY, but if you are just plain Joe 6 pack, leave it alone.Save up a few months and you will probably be able to get it done. Just drive with finesse till then.
post #13 of 49 Old 02-12-2010, 11:38 AM

Garage
The Jeepwoes +30K/Km Club

Well I to am a member of club.
Had noticed some front end noise over bumps at slow speeds, a knock felt in the steering wheel when jerked right and left.
Both outer tie rod ends, Mount / Bearing assembly front suspension struts - all changed.
So glad I chose to take it into my dealership, not the closer tire shop where I usually run for oil changes. Warranty covered the work without question. Not sure the tire shop would have reminded me that maybe this could be mfg. warranty work.
Oh ya - just over 34,000km on ol'Nelly Belle. And very happy I bought the extended warranty package.
Is this a normal wear and tear repair?
Apparently YES, thank you Montreal area roads.

Jeepwoes . . . . pursue the issue with your dealer if you feel that the work done already on the front end (while under warranty) did not fully correct the trouble and perhaps they should have changed the tie rod ends way back. Offer to buy the extended warranty if they still will sell it to you. . . these things have paid for themselves for me in the past, and if you DO plan to keep the Compass longterm, it can't hurt. Good luck and let us know how you make out. My car seems perfect again now, yesterday morning well spent.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by i2canoe; 02-12-2010 at 11:43 AM.
post #14 of 49 Old 02-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Glad that all worked out for you................you are so right when saying...Thank you for the Montreal roads .........where ???? 'cause I only see potholes around !!!!!

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #15 of 49 Old 02-12-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brody410 View Post
I recently took my 2007 compass in to get looked at for the brakes. They told me my tie rods were worn and the sway bar bushing was rotted. Any one else had any problems like this? They are telling me its 1400 dollars to fix
I am at my dealer right now getting new struts, control arms bushings in the front and new control arm in the rear. 12000km no off roading. Warranty work I am happy I did buy the extended warranty though as this will be covered for seven years.
post #16 of 49 Old 02-16-2010, 11:35 AM

Garage
Are the front ends ROBUST enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel for life View Post
Glad that all worked out for you................you are so right when saying...Thank you for the Montreal roads .........where ???? 'cause I only see potholes around !!!!!
Just the same . . . these are built by Jeep . . . you would think that they could stand more than 30,000kms before craping out. This would have been like a $700 job without warranty.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #17 of 49 Old 02-16-2010, 07:14 PM

Here is my saga:
I am utterly frustrated with a particular dealership, I have a 07 Compass and had some rubbing/road noise coming from the front driver wheel. I took it to the dealership and they said I needed to replace the tie rods and get an alignment. So I did.

A week later, the noise is still there, I bring it back and now they tell me I need a new wheel bearing. I am pissed they didn't pick it up the first time when I mentioned, did I need the tie rods then? So I price it out and go to another dealer and they tell me I don't need a wheel bearing as there is no play in the wheel, but I have metal on metal on the brakes and rotors. Mind you two days earlier dealership #1 doesn't mention brakes. (The mother of my children will not let me do the brakes on the car that will carry said children).

I go back to Dealership #1 and ask how can they miss this? They are sorry and will work with me but still think I need a wheel bearing. I leave it and now they say I need a knuckle. WTF? Did I even need the tie rods then?
post #18 of 49 Old 02-17-2010, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Geez, these complaints are pretty disturbing! I'm with i2 in that these are Jeeps, but perhaps they just don't have the FWD thing down yet???

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #19 of 49 Old 02-17-2010, 11:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley8808 View Post
Here is my saga:
I am utterly frustrated with a particular dealership, I have a 07 Compass and had some rubbing/road noise coming from the front driver wheel. .......... Did I even need the tie rods then?

What mileage do you have Wesley?
post #20 of 49 Old 02-17-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe View Post
What mileage do you have Wesley?
Little over 12000km (about 8000miles). The parts have been replaces with the exception of the rear control arm as it is on order. I don't mind having it repaired just the inconvienience of it gets on my nerves a bit. Especially when I don't abuse the vehicle.
post #21 of 49 Old 02-17-2010, 02:34 PM

hey guys if tierods and swaybar end links are in need of replacing and your out of warranty DONT replace them with mopar parts. moog makes the parts you need and they are cheap! and they will last longer. also i was told the tie rod end links are the same part-number as the dodge caravan(yet to be confirmed)
post #22 of 49 Old 02-19-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe View Post
what mileage do you have wesley?
15,100. I am out of the warranty by 3 months.

But I called Chrysler and they agreed to pay for the tie rods and the wheel bearing. I just had the work done and the dealership (who did a great job and were straight up with me) said that the wheel bearing looked ok. With respect to the other dealership telling me it was the knuckle, they were flabbergasted. They suggested I try new tires since the ones I have are worn unevenly on the inside.

Last edited by wesley8808; 02-19-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: added some info
post #23 of 49 Old 02-19-2010, 10:47 PM

Garage
All I can tell anyone about the jeep tie rods are that the manufacturer outer tie rod end number is 05183761AA and the inner tie rod end number is 06507629AA. This might help cross reference to the van tie rods if anyone has that information.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #24 of 49 Old 04-07-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley8808 View Post
Here is my saga:
I am utterly frustrated with a particular dealership, I have a 07 Compass and had some rubbing/road noise coming from the front driver wheel. I took it to the dealership and they said I needed to replace the tie rods and get an alignment. So I did.

A week later, the noise is still there, I bring it back and now they tell me I need a new wheel bearing. I am pissed they didn't pick it up the first time when I mentioned, did I need the tie rods then? So I price it out and go to another dealer and they tell me I don't need a wheel bearing as there is no play in the wheel, but I have metal on metal on the brakes and rotors. Mind you two days earlier dealership #1 doesn't mention brakes. (The mother of my children will not let me do the brakes on the car that will carry said children).

I go back to Dealership #1 and ask how can they miss this? They are sorry and will work with me but still think I need a wheel bearing. I leave it and now they say I need a knuckle. WTF? Did I even need the tie rods then?
Well I'd say you should head up or down the road and find another (better dealer) to do your warranty work. Find a good mechanic for you out of warranty unless you're a DIY as well.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #25 of 49 Old 05-11-2010, 07:00 PM

I have a 2007 Jeep Compass; I just bought it used last July with 23600 miles. Last week I noticed a rubbing noise coming from the wheel area, and I had it looked at this morning at the dealership where I bought it. It needs new outer tie rods and lower control arms. It now has 27300 miles on it. I haven't had any other problems so far, but am concerned after reading some of the other posts. I will be going away for school soon, and the warranty just ended in December on it. I can't afford for anything else to go wrong with it.
post #26 of 49 Old 05-11-2010, 07:10 PM

Well you should have the other side check while its under warranty. There are plenty of post of them going on the 07 and other components. Your millage is just at the point where many of those items are starting to wear out. For it to rub it had to be very well worn.

NO WAY could it have passed safety like that if it was actually done. You could have an independent garage look it over especially the front end. Did you buy it from a Jeep dealer of independent?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #27 of 49 Old 05-11-2010, 08:28 PM

I bought it used from a Jeep dealer. My dad called Chrysler about it and they told him we would receive a call back sometime tomorrow to see if they will cover the replacement costs. I really hope that they will, but the original owner had the 3 year, 36k mile warranty, and when we took it to the dealer's garage this morning they told us that the 3 years ended on December 29, 2009. Technically, the warranty's up so they probably won't cover it, but I'm under 36k miles so I don't know. Apparently there have been similar problems in Patriots and Calibers too. It's just frustrating because my dad has a 95 Cherokee and it has never had anything like this go wrong in it. Maybe if Chrysler receives enough complaints they will put out a recall.
post #28 of 49 Old 05-12-2010, 12:42 AM

Its a common problem on some of the earlier models. It started from the wrong torque values supplies from the manufacture of the tie rods. There is a TBS out about them and they should be replace free of charge no matter if the warranty has expired or not.
post #29 of 49 Old 05-14-2010, 03:29 AM

Got a call back today from the garage; Chrysler is going to pay for it, minus a $100 deductible, which is a lot better than the $800. Now I just have to get it back up to the garage, which unfortunately can't work on it until Monday now.

2007 Jeep Compass 4x4
27k Miles
post #30 of 49 Old 05-14-2010, 12:36 PM

Excellent, I would accept that as well. But have the mechanic check the other side and rear suspension links as well while its in there.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in