2007 Jeep Comapss Won't Start - Help - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cherokee

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 11-12-2009, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

2007 Jeep Comapss Won't Start - Help

My Jeep Compass won't start. It is not a battery problem - everything works (lights, dashboard, radio, power windows, locks, etc.). I used the keyless entry to open the door but when I got out and attempted to lock it with the keyless, it no longer worked. Also, I can't get the vehicle out of park, even with the key turned.

Does anyone have a clue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-12-2009, 03:02 AM

Garage
Do you have gas in the tank?

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #3 of 14 Old 11-12-2009, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Yes, the tank is over 3/4 full.

When I turn the key there is just nothing. If you've ever tried to start a care in gear before, the key just turns, but there's no grinding, clunking nothing just turns in silence. That's what it's doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-12-2009, 04:46 AM

if you have the engine demobilizer built into your key and the little battery has died... all you need to do is pop open your key and change the battery....

There may be a little transponder in your key (Sentry-Key for Chrysler I think...) that sends a certain code to you PCM to let it know "YOU" are the owner and to let the engine start...

This keeps someone from making a copy of your key (the physical part) to start/steal you car.

Again, pop open your key, change out the battery in there and see if that works. It's a cheap possible fix that'll set you back a couple dollars rather than maybe thousands (if taken to a dealership, the run a bunch of tests on it, then change the battery in your key anyway...).

Hope this helps...
post #5 of 14 Old 11-12-2009, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

I have two keys and neither work. If one key has a dead battery, would that affect the other key?

That's a good thought though. I'll try it.

Thanks
post #6 of 14 Old 11-12-2009, 05:00 AM

Don't know - if that doesn't work - sounds to me like there's a tow date to your dealership my friend.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-12-2009, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I've never seen a vehicle act like this. When I turn the key, you an hear a tiny whine for just a second, then nothing. And of course it's just out of warranty, by about 5,000 miles!
post #8 of 14 Old 11-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Morti.....first welcome to the forum........... and as for your issue out of date for your warranty I would clearly ask them (Jeep) to do something about It whatever is the solution.

My 2 cents.........good luck and let us know the outcome.

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-12-2009, 01:57 PM

I had a similar problem in my Cherokee. All the lights would turn on, radio worked, etc...
As soon as I turned the key, nothing worked. No click from the solenoid, no grind from a starter trying to engage the flywheel, nothing. I changed my starter relay, and that seemed to fix it for a bit, but the problem returned.
After a lot of poking and prodding (and a little luck) I found that I had a corroded and loose ground cable from the negative battery terminal to the frame. It was shorting everything out when the started drew power. Replaced my neg battery cable and ground and never saw the problem again.

Long story short - Check your starter relay and both ends of you battery cables.

Man was indeed meant to fly...but only in one direction!
post #10 of 14 Old 11-12-2009, 05:13 PM

It's definitely electrical and Big Dave SCB's comment sounds plausible to me. Perhaps your battery leads are corroded?
post #11 of 14 Old 11-12-2009, 09:04 PM

Sounds a little more likely... Didn't even think about that. I had the same issue with my old 05 Escape - changed the batterys in the keys (made at the same time, batterys died at the same time) and problem was solved. Hopefully you get it all sorted out and fixed soon.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-13-2009, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Thank for the suggestions all. I'm back in the driver seat!

I'm not sure what ultimately the problem was but apparently, as a couple people including a dealer told us, disconnecting the battery connectors for about :10 resets whatever the malfunction was. Some believe it was some sort security thing, which may have caused the vehicle to lock down, not allowing the keyless entry to work or the engine to turn over. The dealer says the manufacturer security system would still allow the vehicle to start but would cause it to stall once it was put in gear. Others think it was some sort of connection problem. I'm more inclined to agree with Big Dave as well. My hubby disconnected the connectors, sprayed some anti-corrosion stuff on the posts, reconnected, and voila, she turned right over! Thank you for the suggestion to check the negative ground cable. This seemed all too easy a fix and I'm somewhat skeptical that the problem won't reoccur. I'll check that cable just to be sure it had nothing to do with the problem this time.

Anyhow, if you have an electrical/electronic type problem, add "disconnect the battery connectors for approximately :10 then reconnect" to the list of suggestions to try!

Thanks again!

P.S. If you're anywhere in the vicinity of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, I would suggest you NOT call Golling Chrysler. They were of absolutely NO help, would offer no suggestions and insisted the only way they could help was if I bring it in! Hall Chrysler, in Fenton, was very helpful and was the first to suggest disconnecting the battery.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morti Mouse View Post
Thank for the suggestions all. I'm back in the driver seat!

I'm not sure what ultimately the problem was but apparently, as a couple people including a dealer told us, disconnecting the battery connectors for about :10 resets whatever the malfunction was. Some believe it was some sort security thing, which may have caused the vehicle to lock down, not allowing the keyless entry to work or the engine to turn over. The dealer says the manufacturer security system would still allow the vehicle to start but would cause it to stall once it was put in gear. Others think it was some sort of connection problem. I'm more inclined to agree with Big Dave as well. My hubby disconnected the connectors, sprayed some anti-corrosion stuff on the posts, reconnected, and voila, she turned right over! Thank you for the suggestion to check the negative ground cable. This seemed all too easy a fix and I'm somewhat skeptical that the problem won't reoccur. I'll check that cable just to be sure it had nothing to do with the problem this time.

Anyhow, if you have an electrical/electronic type problem, add "disconnect the battery connectors for approximately :10 then reconnect" to the list of suggestions to try!

Thanks again!

P.S. If you're anywhere in the vicinity of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, I would suggest you NOT call Golling Chrysler. They were of absolutely NO help, would offer no suggestions and insisted the only way they could help was if I bring it in! Hall Chrysler, in Fenton, was very helpful and was the first to suggest disconnecting the battery.
Cool beans, glad you got it fixed! Looks like you got some good advice!

Tmoir likes this.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #14 of 14 Old 04-05-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morti Mouse View Post
My Jeep Compass won't start. It is not a battery problem - everything works (lights, dashboard, radio, power windows, locks, etc.). I used the keyless entry to open the door but when I got out and attempted to lock it with the keyless, it no longer worked. Also, I can't get the vehicle out of park, even with the key turned.

Does anyone have a clue?
I tried to start my 2011 Compass with a copied key from ACE. I did not know it needed to be "set up" to work with the ignition. It turned over 5-6 times and would stay running for 2-3 seconds then it would die. After that happening 5-6 times now it won;t turn over at all but all indicators turn on when I with the key to the on position. Can I start the car with my regular key when my wife returns from work....she accidentally took my keys and her keys to work today...argh. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in