Bad quality of wiring . - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 11-22-2009, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Bad quality of wiring .

I don't know about ye guys , but has anyone else noticed how poorly the wiring is done in the engine bay. Exposed wires every where/ insulating tape roughly put here and there, and a severe lack of proper conduit to protect the wiring. It's as if a 5 year old has installed it..
My friend who works as an aftermarket autoelectric technician even says he woudn't ever leave a car like that , he would have every thing wrapped up properly, tidied away with tie wraps and so on!!
I wonder how this will affect the compass later on in life . Could end up being an expensive issue??
I actually mentioned it to dealer after buying it , all he said was that they were all like that and some cars just are and wouldn't be a problem. (hope so)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Administrator

I never noticed that, but if it makes you feel uncomfortable, most aftermarket parts stores carry the wire loom insulation that you can wrap the wires with and zip tie them out of the way when you are finished, that way they are protected and out of the way of any moving parts. It really is simple to do, but I'm sure your friend can help out if needed.

I personally wouldn't trust the sales staff at the dealership to know what they are talking about, (I knew more about the Compass than the person at the dealership who sold it to me), so perhaps get the service dept. to check it out if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, but yes, correcting this, depending on how bad it is, could save in unnecessary repairs and headaches later. I have even gone so far as to insulate the wires, tie them back out of the way and where possible, wrap with electrical tape to ensure not only a good but watertight connection. Hope this helps, good luck!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Last edited by Cherokee; 11-23-2009 at 08:12 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-23-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Hey there cherokee, thanks for input.
So have you noticed the issues I mentioned in your compass since reading my previous post, cos I'm wondering is it just my compass(doubt it though).
Yea, good idea about the loom insulation (think that's what we call conduit!!)
never thought about getting it after market, It's a wonder my mate never mentioned it to me, probably afraid he'll get the job. (some of the wire look like real pains to get at)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-24-2009, 07:42 AM
Administrator

You're welcome, and no, celtic warrior, the wiring in my engine bay was in good order, though I don't doubt that some Compasses did have this problem, but that is one thing I look at before it leaves the lot, along with how easy/difficult parts will be to repair/replace down the road. I just don't trust the dealership to do the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) the way I like it (and my ex was also a mechanic), but I have seen some rather shoddy work on other vehicles, and like your friend, when I work on wiring, I never leave someone's vehicle like that.

Not too long ago, I installed a push button start in a friend's Ford Explorer, I just made sure everything was taped up well so the connection was good, so even with their "shocking personality," lol, they wouldn't BE shocked.

Anyways, not sure what parts houses you have over there, but they should have what you need, and yes, "conduit" is probably the same thing. Some of the wires in the harness are a pain, so just be careful not to pull too hard on anything and you should be ok getting it done yourself. Good luck! If you need any more help, feel free to ask. Talk to you soon.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Last edited by Cherokee; 11-24-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in