Grinding when making sharp turns - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 Old 12-11-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Grinding when making sharp turns

Since the weather has turned cold, my 2008 Compass is making a grinding noise when making sharp turns. Took it to the dealership and they said it was a debris problem which they claimed to have cleaned out. Didn't get out of the parking lot - same noise! Couldn't leave it with them and not sure I want to anyway - has anybody else had this problem and if so what was the solution. Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-13-2009, 12:42 AM

Ah... Yes, I've had that same problem as well and I think (keyword there) that it's just the power steering reaching the end of its range of motion.

Run from me if you want to live.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 (4x4 all the way baby!)
post #3 of 16 Old 12-13-2009, 12:47 AM

i get it too early in the morning when its cold if i crank my wheels. its the pump struggling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-13-2009, 04:48 AM
Administrator

Guess my question is, if they are saying it is a "debris problem," where is there debris? What did they "clean out?" Don't know about a "grinding" sound, but when you go lock-to-lock on the wheel, it will give a good whine, which, like LB said, is as far as the wheel will travel, and what you're hearing is the power steering pump, which is why it is not recommended to "hard crank" the wheel, as it will burn up the power steering pump. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #5 of 16 Old 12-13-2009, 08:32 PM

You'd think with all the computer stuff on this car it would have something to keep the pump from well, pumping at the end of the cars turning radius. of course, then you have to worry about your car going over something and jerking the wheel on you. Idk, I guess I should leave that kind of stuff to the designers lol

post #6 of 16 Old 12-13-2009, 10:06 PM

If it is the pump there is a simple way to make this problem better. Switch your power steering fluid to synthetic. It doesn't get thick as easy as regular fluid. therefore you won't be trying to pump something to thick for the pump. All of my fluids are synthetic simply for this issue. In the cold whether they are just simply better and protect a lot better.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-14-2009, 12:16 AM

Hmph. I dont know whether my compass has synthetic or not right now. It hasnt been changed sine we bought it, but that might not be a bad idea. Thanks for the tip.

post #8 of 16 Old 12-14-2009, 03:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseblfrk09 View Post
If it is the pump there is a simple way to make this problem better. Switch your power steering fluid to synthetic. It doesn't get thick as easy as regular fluid. therefore you won't be trying to pump something to thick for the pump. All of my fluids are synthetic simply for this issue. In the cold whether they are just simply better and protect a lot better.
That is a good tip, and I, too am big on synthetics. Valvoline SynPower is a good product.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #9 of 16 Old 12-14-2009, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

This noise happens not just on sharp turns - it will also happen on a more gradual turn. It sounds almost like something being stretched - can't quite describe the noise but I do think that you are right regarding the power steering. I will have the dealership check it out and maybe just change the power steering fluid to synthetic as suggested.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-14-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not sure if i like it View Post
This noise happens not just on sharp turns - it will also happen on a more gradual turn. It sounds almost like something being stretched - can't quite describe the noise but I do think that you are right regarding the power steering. I will have the dealership check it out and maybe just change the power steering fluid to synthetic as suggested.
is it like a click maby?
post #11 of 16 Old 12-14-2009, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

It is a bit of a click - but more like something being stretched out - and clicking a bit as it goes.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

let us know.............the outcome.

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #13 of 16 Old 12-14-2009, 11:43 PM

Well that was ominous ffl lol
But yes, do tell how that turns out.

post #14 of 16 Old 12-15-2009, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #15 of 16 Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 PM

I had the same problem, like a scraping problem, but it only occurs at low temperatures. When I had my car in at the dealer last, they told me there was a service bulletin on the grease in the CV Boots. They said they repacked them with a new synthetic lube. Now I just have to wait for it to get cold again and see what happens, but I hope that fixes it.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-30-2010, 02:12 PM

I am new to Compass. But not to that problem on other vehicles. My son has a Ford Explorer 4x4. The front wheel hub bear was well worn (2nd one now, both side are new now). These hubs are sealed and wear quickly on some makes. The have lateral play and grind when stress on turns.

There is an easy check for this. Jack up the wheel and grab the tire when clear of the ground. Rock it left right, there will be play you can feel when doing this and the same top to bottom although that takes a big more effort. Don't confuse this with moving the front steering which is entirely different.

If you do pull the tires off, grabbing the studs and you will able to move it and see the inner movement. I changed the bearing hub yesterday in the Explorer. It a common design used with the splined CV shaft going into the center of the hub driving the wheel.

Check it out.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in