Hesitation after gassing up? - Jeep Compass Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By tripplec
  • 1 Post By tripplec
  • 1 Post By tripplec

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 18 Old 11-15-2013, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Hesitation after gassing up?

My daughter has a 2007 jeep compass and says that after getting gas the car hesitates bad and sometimes dies in traffic. What do I need to check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 PM

Well it depends.
1st to determine where she gassed up. Was the gas bad or water got in etc. If it was diesel then that something else. You won't go far.

But other than that it could be anything however unlikely if it happened right away.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-16-2013, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

It does it regardless of where she fills up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-16-2013, 11:00 PM

Ha ha ok, You made it sound like it just happened after this fill up. Clarity, details all need to be such that assumptions are not made.

Get it checked for codes. That's first if its not running right. After that its all routine testing and tune up related items as far as I can determine. Not to say something more major is gone like the fuel pump. But I am guessing on that without any reason other than the symptom. Pressure testing the fuel line if you're able to otherwise a mechanic needs to go over it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-16-2013, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Sorry about that, I was in a hurry when I typed it!

I took her car today and put gas in it myself. It never died, but when pulling out of the gas station and accelerating, it hesitated and spit and sputtered that it threw us forward in our seats! LOL! I was expecting a little miss, I was wrong!

Her check engine light is on also, which she failed to tell me about. I did change the plugs today before filling up, so looks like a code reader is my next step.

I am trying to stay away from a mechanic...she graduates nursing school in December and will be buying herself a new vehicle. She has been driving this Compass since we bought it for her shortly after getting her license. It has been a pretty good vehicle, especially knowing how hard she has driven that little 4 cylinder.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-16-2013, 11:35 PM

Is it a 4WD build?

Anyway, be sure you did not crack the porcelain on a plug. With the straight insert its almost impossible to do. The coil packs if you disconnected (I had to disconnect one for sure when I did mine since the wire was too short). Double check the connections especially since you have a code. So what was the plug colour on all four old plugs? Detail .... Tan, white, black, wet etc

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 18 Old 11-17-2013, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Is it a 4WD build?

Anyway, be sure you did not crack the porcelain on a plug. With the straight insert its almost impossible to do. The coil packs if you disconnected (I had to disconnect one for sure when I did mine since the wire was too short). Double check the connections especially since you have a code. So what was the plug colour on all four old plugs? Detail .... Tan, white, black, wet etc

Yes it is 4WD...

All these problems started way before I changed the plugs yesterday. I drove the vehicle and gassed it up after changing the plugs. All 4 plugs were whitish in color and really did not look as bad as I thought they would.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-17-2013, 09:56 PM

Well she'll miss 4WD, once you've had it. Its hard to do without in the winter its great.

That said if its a bit on the white side then you'll running lean. Check/change the air filter if questionable. Otherwise an O2 sensor is likely the issue and the code you find point to that as the culprit.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 18 Old 03-20-2014, 05:06 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassadict69 View Post
My daughter has a 2007 jeep compass and says that after getting gas the car hesitates bad and sometimes dies in traffic. What do I need to check?
So, I was having this issue as well. I had to literally pump the pedal to get some power out of it, and the fuel usage was insanely high, got as low as 9.8 MPG. Weird thing is this didn't happen while the car was still cool, started once it heated up.

A friend of mine told me about the O2 sensor, I ended up replacing the sensor before the Catalyst.

Before I did this I was getting codes P0171/P0172 and some misfires on every one of the cylinders.

After changing the O2 sensor, I still get P0171 but power is good. Don't know about fuel efficiency yet, I'll fill it up today and go on a weekend field trip with my wife. Then I'll know.

Now, other than the sensor (maybe I also need to change the one behind the Catalyst as well? ), what else could be causing this code to keep popping up?

This is the 2007 CVT 2.4 compass FWD.

It's got 120K miles in it.

Any and every help will be much appreciated.

I forgot to add that I changed the spark plugs, brand new NGK ZFR5FIX-11 Iridium IX, as well as the Intake air filter, also brand new K&N 33-2377 High Performance.

Last edited by vette95; 03-20-2014 at 05:24 PM. Reason: forgot something
post #10 of 18 Old 03-21-2014, 05:20 PM

I don't know what the code is for but if you are getting misfire on a specific cylinder. check and/or replace the spark plugs. There are only 4 so its cheap to do and about the only thing that is pretty easy once you get the plugs out of the depression they're in.

Use name brand gas, not no name off brand stations you might get water from some. I don't pull in if a refueling truck is there. They stir up the tank and you're more likely to get water which eventually settles back down.

I just saw that you changed the plugs. Did the problem get better or worse after you did that. Some engines don't like those high tech plugs at all. Old fashion copper core work only on some engines. Various copper types out there as you know.
vette95 likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 03-21-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Already replace plugs so I edited to add last paragraph
post #11 of 18 Old 04-09-2014, 04:01 PM

Question

Quote:
I don't know what the code is for but if you are getting misfire on a specific cylinder. check and/or replace the spark plugs. There are only 4 so its cheap to do and about the only thing that is pretty easy once you get the plugs out of the depression they're in.

Use name brand gas, not no name off brand stations you might get water from some. I don't pull in if a refueling truck is there. They stir up the tank and you're more likely to get water which eventually settles back down.

I just saw that you changed the plugs. Did the problem get better or worse after you did that. Some engines don't like those high tech plugs at all. Old fashion copper core work only on some engines. Various copper types out there as you know.
This is what has been done so far.

Replaces spark plugs (NGK ZFR5FIX-11 Iridium IX) and air intake filter (K&N 33-2362 High Performance).
Replaced both O2 sensors.

The hesitation has gone down to a minimum, but It still does it every now and then. Also, the check engine light is still on after resetting it.

After resetting the OBD codes, we also unplugged the negative from the battery for a full hour, the check engine light came back up after about 4 minutes of driving.

I'm still getting code P0171 (System too lean). Plus a code P0174
According to This, it could be something as simple as the orientation of the Intake Air Temperature Sensor, or as complicated as a voltage problem with the same sensor.

I will try to clean it, set it to the correct orientation as explained Here, and reset codes and computer again, see what happens. I'm also inclined to use some WD40 on the plug, to make sure there is a correct connection and that water or moisture, in case any is forming around the plug, stays out.

I'll come back with my findings.

On a side note, after changing spark plugs, O2 sensors and air filter, I'm getting, according to the On Board Computer, about 8 MPG more on it now.

Last edited by vette95; 04-09-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: add info
post #12 of 18 Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 PM

If you've had the throttle body off and there is a boot behind it (I haven't looked) but if air is coming in behind the Mass Air Sensor, the computation will be wrong and running lean. Some vehicles have a rubber section as my Grand Cherokee does and many other vehicles. Check vacuum hoses are not off, cracked or broken going into the intake manifold typically.

Old trick for checking for them leaks (use care and a generous amount of common sense !!!) A propane torch (no flame, not lit or burning!!), open the tank valve to let some propane out, not too much. Move the output around various fittings, gaskets etc if there is a leak the propane gets sucked in and the RPM will pickup. You have to have a good ear for engines but it does work. Keep the propane away from areas than can ignite it (exhaust pipe & exhaust manifold for example). they should not cause ignition but they're hot and you'll not find a leak where the pressure is out bound.
vette95 likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #13 of 18 Old 04-09-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
If you've had the throttle body off and there is a boot behind it (I haven't looked) but if air is coming in behind the Mass Air Sensor, the computation will be wrong and running lean. Some vehicles have a rubber section as my Grand Cherokee does and many other vehicles. Check vacuum hoses are not off, cracked or broken going into the intake manifold typically.

Old trick for checking for them leaks (use care and a generous amount of common sense !!!) A propane torch (no flame, not lit or burning!!), open the tank valve to let some propane out, not too much. Move the output around various fittings, gaskets etc if there is a leak the propane gets sucked in and the RPM will pickup. You have to have a good ear for engines but it does work. Keep the propane away from areas than can ignite it (exhaust pipe & exhaust manifold for example). they should not cause ignition but they're hot and you'll not find a leak where the pressure is out bound.
I'll have the family car wiz do that and come back with an answer.

Thanks a lot, this just might do the trick. Let's keep hunting the issue
post #14 of 18 Old 04-10-2014, 05:48 PM

Unhappy No intake system leak

So, we checked EVERYTHING and there is no leak of any kind.

The last thing I'm willing to try, before I throw this thing off of a cliff, I want to change the fuel filter.

Now, I've been reading that the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assembly, which is located inside (on top) of the fuel tank. Is this correct?

I ask because I've been looking all over for the filter and all that pops up is the fuel pump assembly.

Another thing, is "fuel strainer" another name for fuel filter?
post #15 of 18 Old 04-10-2014, 08:51 PM

Ok first the fuel filter is NOT serviceable and is part of the pump.
quote from manual "The fuel filter mounts inside the fuel pump module and is a non-serviceable part."

2nd a pressure test is much easier and less costly.
EG Gas Engines
400 kpa 34 kpa (58 psi 5 psi)

This is the spec and should be a shrader valve like most engines on one end of the fuel rail.

FUEL CORRECTION or ADAPTIVE MEMORIES

DESCRIPTION
In Open Loop, the PCM changes pulse width without feedback from the O2 Sensors. Once the engine warms up to approximately -1.1 to 1.6C (30 to 35 F), the PCM goes into closed loop Short Term Correction and utilizes feedback from the O2 Sensors. Closed loop Long Term Adaptive Memory is maintained above 77 to 88C (170 to 190F) unless the PCM senses wide open throttle. At that time the PCM returns to Open Loop operation.

OPERATION

Short Term
The first fuel correction program that begins functioning is the short term fuel correction. This system corrects fuel delivery in direct proportion to the readings from the Upstream O2 Sensor.

The PCM monitors the air/fuel ratio by using the input voltage from the O2 Sensor. When the voltage reaches its preset high or low limit, the PCM begins to add or remove fuel until the sensor reaches its switch point. The short term corrections then begin.

The PCM makes a series of quick changes in the injector pulse-width until the O2 Sensor reaches its opposite preset limit or switch point. The process then repeats itself in the opposite direction.

Short term fuel correction will keep increasing or decreasing injector pulse-width based upon the upstream O2 Sensor input. The maximum range of authority for short term memory is 25% (+/-) of base pulse-width. Short term is violated and is lost when ignition is turned OFF.

Long Term
The second fuel correction program is the long term adaptive memory. In order to maintain correct emission throughout all operating ranges of the engine, a cell structure based on engine rpm and load (MAP) is used.

Ther number of cells varies upon the driving conditions. Two cells are used only during idle, based upon TPS and Park/Neutral switch inputs. There may be two other cells used for deceleration, based on TPS, engine rpm, and vehicle speed. The other twelve cells represent a manifold pressure and an rpm range. Six of the cells are high rpm and the other six are low rpm. Each of these cells has a specific MAP voltage range Typical Adaptive Memory Fuel Cells.

As the engine enters one of these cells the PCM looks at the amount of short term correction being used. Because the goal is to keep short term at 0 (O2 Sensor switching at 0.5 volt), long term will update in the same direction as short term correction was moving to bring the short term back to 0. Once short term is back at 0, this long term correction factor is stored in memory.

The values stored in long term adaptive memory are used for all operating conditions, including open loop and cold starting. However, the updating of the long term memory occurs after the engine has exceeded approximately 77 to 88C (170 to 190F), with fuel control in closed loop and two minutes of engine run time. This is done to prevent any transitional temperature or start-up compensations from corrupting long term fuel correction.

Long term adaptive memory can change the pulse-width by as much as 25%, which means it can correct for all of short term. It is possible to have a problem that would drive long term to 25% and short term to another 25% for a total change of 50% away from base pulse-width calculation.

Typical Adaptive Memory Fuel Cells
Open Throttle
Open Throttle
Open Throttle
Open Throttle
Open Throttle
Open Throttle
Idle
Decel

Vacuum

Above 1,984 rpm
13 Drive

Below 1,984 rpm
12 Neutral

MAP volt =

Fuel Correction Diagnostics
There are two fuel correction diagnostic routines:

Fuel System Rich
Fuel System Lean
A DTC is set and the MIL is illuminated if the PCM detects either of these conditions. This is determined based on total fuel correction, short term times long term.

MORE on the P0171 code for you.

P0171-FUEL SYSTEM 1/1 LEAN
For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W.

When Monitored:
With the engine running in closed loop, the ambient/battery temperature above 7 C (20 F) and altitude below 8500 ft.

Set Condition:
The PCM monitors the Adaptive Memory factor (a combination of Short Term Adaptive and Long Term Adaptive). If the total fuel addition exceeds a calibrated threshold for an extended period, a fuel system lean fault is stored. If the total fuel subtraction exceeds a calibrated threshold, a fuel system rich fault is stored. Two Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL

Possible Causes

INTERMITTENT DTC

FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM

ECT SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS

MAP SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS

O2 SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS

ENGINE MECHANICAL SYSTEM

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING).

Diagnostic Test
1. DTC IS ACTIVE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diagnose and repair any other active component or circuit DTCs before continuing with this procedure.
Turn the ignition on.
With the scan tool, select View DTCs. Copy DTC and Freeze Frame information.
Start the engine and allow it to reach operating temperature.

WARNING: When the engine is operating, do not stand in direct line with the fan. Do not put your hands near the pulleys, belts, or fan. Do not wear loose clothing. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury or death.

NOTE: Attempt to operate the vehicle under conditions similar to which the DTC was set.

NOTE: It may be necessary to test drive the vehicle within the DTC monitoring conditions in order for this DTC to set.

With a scan tool, select View DTCs.

Is the status Active for this DTC?

Yes

Go to 2

No

Refer to the *CHECKING FOR AN INTERMITTENT DTC Diagnostic Procedure. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

2. CHECKING THE FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM

Perform the diagnostic procedure for *CHECKING THE FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM.

Were any problems found?

Yes

Repair as necessary in accordance with the Service Information.
Perform the PCM Verification Test. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

No

Go to 3

3. CHECKING THE ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR OPERATION

Perform the diagnostic procedure for *CHECKING THE ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR OPERATION.

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

Go to 4

4. CHECKING THE MAP SENSOR OPERATION

Perform the diagnostic procedure for *CHECKING THE MAP SENSOR OPERATION.

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

Go to 5

5. CHECKING THE OXYGEN SENSOR OPERATION

Perform the diagnostic procedure for *CHECKING THE OXYGEN SENSOR OPERATION.

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

Go to 6

6. CHECKING THE ENGINE MECHANICAL SYSTEM

Perform the diagnostic procedure for *CHECKING THE ENGINE MECHANICAL SYSTEM.

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

Go to 7

7. POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors relative to the components tested in this procedure.
Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched, or partially broken wires.
Look for broken, bent, pushed out or corroded terminals.
Monitor the scan tool data relative to the components tested in this procedure and wiggle test the wiring and connectors.
Look for the data to change or for a DTC to set during the wiggle test.
Refer to any Technical Service Bulletins that may apply.

Were any problems found?

Yes

Repair as necessary.

No

Replace and program the PCM in accordance with the Service Information.
vette95 likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #16 of 18 Old 04-10-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Ok first the fuel filter is NOT serviceable and is part of the pump.
quote from manual "The fuel filter mounts inside the fuel pump module and is a non-serviceable part."

2nd a pressure test is much easier and less costly.
EG Gas Engines
400 kpa 34 kpa (58 psi 5 psi)

This is the spec and should be a shrader valve like most engines on one end of the fuel rail.
Nice. Thanks a lot. I guess I'll spend all Saturday doing this at my friends shop. I'll come back with my findings.

Hopefully we'll be able to pinpoint the exact issue.

I'm not sure, but I think I forgot to mention that, in the morning, or after a few hours of the vehicle being parked doing nothing, the ignition cranks just fine, but I have to try plenty of times before the engine fires up, which is one of the reason leading me to believe that the issue could be in the fuel pump and/or integrated filter.

The think that has helped me run the engine in the first try is unplugging the negative from the battery for a few minutes, plugging it back on, and then it fires up right away, even when cold.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-11-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette95 View Post
The think that has helped me run the engine in the first try is unplugging the negative from the battery for a few minutes, plugging it back on, and then it fires up right away, even when cold.
Well that points to emissions issues is my guess. Why, because when the battery is disconnected long enough, say 30 min but varies with vehicles. The PCM resorts to pre programmed engine MAP tables. It re learns and alters the fuel ratio and other parameters over time optimizing it.

You might want check and clean ground wire, strap connections since corrosion can cause some systems to malfunction and is a problem with modern computerized systems.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #18 of 18 Old 11-10-2014, 04:04 AM

help as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassadict69 View Post
Hello, I had googled the question u had asked about the 07 jeep compass issue, I too have been having the same problem when I go to any gas station and fill up the jeep has a small hesitation when going about 20 ft of filling up and some times it shuts of when I get on the main road or when I get to an intersection and idle or when take off on a green light, and sometimes it doesn't do it. it also hesitates on days when im driving around on streets! I figured it was because I was topping off so I stopped and filled up to the F line and it still does it. but my question is have u figured out the cause of this issue and if you still have this problem?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Brandon; 11-10-2014 at 04:07 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in