Steering wheel off center to left, then jerks to the right - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Steering wheel off center to left, then jerks to the right

I have a 2008 jeep compass with around 150k miles. It recently started malfunctioning but the check engine light isn't one. Here's what it does...as you turn it on and are driving the steering wheel is off center to the left a bit. Then as you're gaining speed you start hearing a small rattle underneath, then the traction control light flashes on for a bit then the steering wheel suddenly jerks right(which causes the driver to jerk the car to the left a bit). After this the traction control light comes off and drives pretty normal, aside from the steering wheel being off center. Has anyone had this similar problem? I don't feel safe having my wife drive it this way, it's pretty scary when it does that and it happens everytime.

Thanks!

This is the light that flashes on that I refer to

Last edited by mrcarrerista; 12-18-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-19-2013, 01:10 PM

Its most likely coming on because the steering not centered to start with. If you have to turn the wheel off center either left or right to drive straight on a normal road then. Its usually the result of the front tie rod end were replaced and not correctly so that the wheel is now off center. That causes the computer to believe you are in a skid and out of control activating the Antiskid technology and ABS brakes to maintain control (all that noise you're hearing).

Solutions is to get the front end adjusted or aligned so that it tracks straight. The skid light won't come on and the problem is solved.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-19-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the reply! I did have some front end work done to it a few months ago so this might be a possibility. I'll get it checked out this weekend and update you on what I hear.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-19-2013, 01:32 PM

For sure its the problem then. I did my tie rod end last summer and because of the wheel off center I had a pair come one every time. It took me 4-5 jack up, pull apart, adjust a turn or two in a direction, back together and test drive each time until I got the wheel as straight as I could. There isn't an alignment adjustment as in most vehicles for the steering that I could see anywhere. Going by the number of turns of the old tie rod applied to the new one did not result in it being correct for some reason. I was worn out by the time I got it right. The lights go off after short run of driving on their own.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-19-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So it basically needs an alignment?
post #6 of 8 Old 12-19-2013, 05:02 PM

That would be part of an alignment, centering the steering wheel.

Other than that as I did I readjusted the rod I replace that through it off. If more than one side was done then a 4 wheel alignment is necessary.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 8 Old 01-06-2014, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update: turns out I had a ball left lower ball joint which was throwing the alignment off. Got that replaced and fixed the problem
post #8 of 8 Old 01-07-2014, 08:08 PM

So your ball joint was not replaced that was bad but other parts were replaced? Anyway its good to here its sorted out now.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in