'08 Compass Warning Lights - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

'08 Compass Warning Lights

I just had an unusual experience with my '08 Jeep Compass. I was returning home after a 2 hour highway trip, where I had the cruise on the whole way. As I pulled into the city, I had shut off the cruise and slowed down to the in city speed limit of 50 km/h. The light was red, so I stopped and when the light turned green, I attempted to accelerate as normal. However, it sputtered and the ETC light started flashing and the ESP light came on and stayed on. I pulled into a parking lot, turned the engine off and started it again and the lights turned off and it ran fine. I stopped at the gas station before heading home, and turned the vehicle on and off again and it was fine.

As I wasn't sure what the symbols meant, I checked the owners manual and it says when the ETC light flashes, I should get it checked immediately. The dealer in town is closed until tomorrow, but my question is since the lights went off and it seemed to run fine, should I bother taking it in?

I had it in a week ago for an oil change and to check the Malfunction Indicator Light. The code it threw was a charging/starting/ignition systems problem, but the mechanics found no reason for the problem. So was this a warning for what happened or are they not related at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 01:30 AM

Honestly, with the combination of the two problems occurring so close together, I would recommend taking it in, both of those sound like they could be serious stuff.

Run from me if you want to live.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 (4x4 all the way baby!)
post #3 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch Box View Post
Honestly, with the combination of the two problems occurring so close together, I would recommend taking it in, both of those sound like they could be serious stuff.
I was going to call them tomorrow. One small problem with living in a small city is that the service departments are closed on Sundays.

I wonder why it would happen already though? It only has 31,000 km on it. On the bright side that likely means its covered by the warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 01:34 AM

If you bought the car new, I believe you should have a lifetime warranty on the powertrain, but either way, most warranties would be valid at this point I suppose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you bought the car new, I believe you should have a lifetime warranty on the powertrain, but either way, most warranties would be valid at this point I suppose.
It was leased brand new, so I assume it should be valid. I'm not entirely sure though since I borrowed it from my father, who actually leased it.

From my cursory Googling, it seems this is a common problem with Compasses. The lease is up in March and I had intended to buy it out, but if this vehicle is a lemon maybe I will reconsider.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 01:40 AM

Well I would say if they can fix it, then Id recommend actually buying it. I've done a lot of... unintelligent things in my little jeep and found it to be pretty durable and reliable.

post #7 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well I would say if they can fix it, then Id recommend actually buying it. I've done a lot of... unintelligent things in my little jeep and found it to be pretty durable and reliable.
Until this last week and a half I have nothing bad to say about it. So we'll see what they say hopefully tomorrow.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 01:47 AM

Well good luck with that dude. Hope it turns out alright.

post #9 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 02:46 PM

Let us know what they say. It seems ive seen atleast one other post with someone having a similar issue.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

I called the dealer this morning and the guy in the service department I was talking to basically said don't worry about it. He told me that occassionally there's a onboard computer glitch that can cause it to do that, but that it isn't caused by a fault of any sort. He said since the lights didn't stay on when I turned it off and then back on, that it wouldn't have thrown any codes. He said keep an eye on it, but if it keeps running fine, it was simply a computer glitch. If it does it again, he told me to definitely bring it in.

So this does make me slightly leery, I was planning on taking a 2 hour trip to a lacrosse game next weekend. I'd hate for it to die in the middle of nowhere, if there is a bigger fault.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 08:53 PM

I think at that point I would take it in anyway. Especially if its still under warranty. Sometimes a persons professional opinion is not accurate.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with Nuke here.................who knows what went wrong here and maybe the computer's history can tell................good luck !

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #13 of 15 Old 10-16-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

So I did take it in back then and was told it was nothing. It did it again a few weeks later and I took it back and was told it was nothing. It had been fine until now. It did it again last night after another 2 hour trip with the cruise control. It is running fine again, so I'm going to take in to the dealership again on Monday and have them look at it.

Since I last posted in January of 2010, has anyone else had a problem like this? Did it turn out to be anything? Having this happen 3 times in 2 years make me think that it must be caused by something more than simply the on board computer misfiring.
post #14 of 15 Old 10-27-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

So it has done this again. I'm beginning to think that Jeeps have a problem with their onboard computers. This is the 5th time in 3 years that I have had this happen and each time the dealer tells me there is nothing wrong with it. I realize with 77,000 km on it now we are getting to the stage where slightly more major things might start happening. But from a Googling I did, there is an issue across Jeep platforms and all say that turning it off and turning it back on fix the issue.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-24-2013, 12:41 PM

Hi.. i'm from Mexico, n' i have the same problem,, don't have any codes n' no body knows whats it is happening??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in