grinding noise when turning in cold weather - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 01-11-2014, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

grinding noise when turning in cold weather

Hey everyone, I have seen a few threads about this but all are very old and none really came to any type of resolution.

Heres the info on my car
2007 Jeep compass
2.4l engine
CVT transmission
approx 100,000 KM's

When it is cold out (-20 C, or -4 F) there is a horrible grinding noise that occurs when I turn. This is the thing I HATE most about this vehicle. I can deal with the fact that even though I have only 100,000km's on it I have had to replace the tierods multiple times as well as the balljoints once.

This only happens when I am turning and accelerating so it is most noticeable when turning at lights or stop signs. It's not ice in the wheel wells or anything like that. It doesn't stop once the car warms up either.

The best way for me to describe it would be like sticking a piece of metal into a spinning fan. I am not sure if I can attach audio files in here but if I can I will try.

I have taken it to the dealer to be looked at but they say that while annoying it is normal for this vehicle and is not causing any damage. They said it has something to do with the CVT transmission. I even wrote Jeep Canada a letter about it because it makes me hate this car in the winter but they basically just sent back a PFO letter saying if the dealer says its normal its normal.

Is anyone else still having this issue? I assume they probably found a fix for 2008 or newer models since 2007 was the first year the compass was out. Is there anything I can do?

I was hoping the Compass would be the first of multiple Jeeps but this noise alone + the lack of customer service from Jeep is enough for me to jump ship to another brand - any advise or suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-11-2014, 04:07 PM

I would first check your front rotors.
- rust on the outter edge can make such a noise as it grinds against the caliper pads
- scrap off the edged of build up it has a big build up and you'll have some difficulty pulling off the caliper over it if that's the case. If you into removing the rotor which is easy you could grind off the edge with a hand grinder of the excessive amount but don't touch the surface.
- CV joint could be a problem if the boot ruptured and water got in and road debris which may be the problem if its only one side making the sound.

There is no easy way to determine as its a process of elimination. If you're getting if from one side only it makes it easier and jacking it up checking all I've mentioned is a start. I would not jump to the conclusion that is the CVT too quickly since you'd not be repairing due to the prohibitive cost.

PS: wheel nut should be torqued to 100 ft/lbs or slight more. If loose or warped rotors then various things can occur but I would not expect that sound unless rust is being aggravated by the warp and turning stresses.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 01-11-2014 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Added sub note
post #3 of 4 Old 06-14-2014, 10:04 PM

Garage
VERY loose lug nuts could be the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-14-2014, 10:07 PM

That's the way to loose a wheel and cause lots of damage. Lug nuts should be 100-110Ft/lbs. Too much and/or uneven torque will cause the rotors to warp.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in