Wheel Bearings !!! - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 27 Old 02-02-2010, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Wheel Bearings !!!

I've got a 2008 Jeep Compass. I had to replace a rear bearing last summer and of course they were replaced in pairs. Again I'm getting the same noise as before that lead to their replacement. Does this have the makings of a Common Defect ???? I've just cleared 53,000 km's . Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-02-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayNine View Post
I've got a 2008 Jeep Compass. I had to replace a rear bearing last summer and of course they were replaced in pairs. Again I'm getting the same noise as before that lead to their replacement. Does this have the makings of a Common Defect ???? I've just cleared 53,000 km's . Thanks
what kind of noise are you experiencing. as well as where are you located in eastern ontario....
post #3 of 27 Old 02-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Administrator

I take it you took it to the dealership and this was performed under warranty? Were they getting any play in the wheels before taking them off (with the car on the lift)? Sometimes tire noise can be confused with bearing problems, but I would have them check for any open Recalls or TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) on the issue. I'm not finding anything on it, but they have access to Chrysler service info, but were they able to show you the bearings were actually bad?

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 02-02-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackman View Post
what kind of noise are you experiencing. as well as where are you located in eastern ontario....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
I take it you took it to the dealership and this was performed under warranty? Were they getting any play in the wheels before taking them off (with the car on the lift)? Sometimes tire noise can be confused with bearing problems, but I would have them check for any open Recalls or TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) on the issue. I'm not finding anything on it, but they have access to Chrysler service info, but were they able to show you the bearings were actually bad?

- Cherokee
Gentlemen: 1st Zackman I live 35 minutes East of Ottawa. I just came away from the Dealership . Definitely something wrong considering that's 2 Rear Wheel Bearings worn out on the Left Side in 53,000 km's. The right side had been replaced as well back the 1st time I had issues with the Bearings. They made note at the Dealership the problem lyes with the Manufacture not on the Driver.
That said , Would Anyone hazard a guess as to what would cause the Bearings to Breakdown , especially with only say 25,000 km's on them each time. Thanks
post #5 of 27 Old 02-07-2010, 03:35 AM

I will guess poor installation, or poor materiels. My 2007 has 67,000 miles on it so far and the wheel bearings seem to be holding up well. I am worried about some front end noise though, it has been slightly noticable since I had the right front lower control arm replaced after collision with a curb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #6 of 27 Old 03-30-2010, 11:56 PM

Made in CHINA, anyone else?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #7 of 27 Old 03-31-2010, 06:19 PM

my compass has over 60,000 kms now and no problems with the wheel bearings.
post #8 of 27 Old 03-31-2010, 06:48 PM

Well that encouraging that its not a trend.

PS: It would be nice if you could add a signature so we can see what Year and configuration yours its.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 27 Old 04-01-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Made in CHINA, anyone else?
Did I not read on this Forum that The Jeep Compass will cease production in 2011 since the Contract with FIAT will have run out by then ???
post #10 of 27 Old 04-01-2010, 07:22 PM

Can't be right. It's a JEEP and what has the Italian Job car have in common with JEEP.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #11 of 27 Old 04-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

lol..........cute one Trip.....I thought they were Mini's in the movie !!!!!
AHHH beautiful Cameron Diaz in tights......

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #12 of 27 Old 04-02-2010, 12:43 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel for life View Post
lol..........cute one Trip.....I thought they were Mini's in the movie !!!!!
AHHH beautiful Cameron Diaz in tights......
Well yeah, you're right, just checking if you-all paying attention....LOL

But Mini or Fiat, what possible connect could either of these have to the all America Red Blooded JEEP. Built in N.A. and widely used. Probably the best know brand in N.A.

I am Canadian so don't bash me on that note above. But JEEP is a N.A, hence American ok... cheers.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #13 of 27 Old 04-02-2010, 03:23 AM

Garage
The only thing that Jeep and Fiat share is R&D. For instance the 2011 Jeep Phoenix, AKA the Fiat Panda, are based on the same platform.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #14 of 27 Old 04-02-2010, 03:45 AM

Fine that may or may not be the case due to Mercedes alliance. But the application is so far remove. It's like a land rover and moon rover.
I hope my Jeeps stand the test of endurance.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #15 of 27 Old 04-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Did I not read on this Forum that The Jeep Compass will cease production in 2011 since the Contract with FIAT will have run out by then ???
I'm still looking for a more up to date article on this, something that spells out a bit more of the details of the 5 year plan, but here ya' go:
http://autos.aol.com/article/chrysle...ler-fiat-plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Fine that may or may not be the case due to Mercedes alliance. But the application is so far remove. It's like a land rover and moon rover.
I hope my Jeeps stand the test of endurance.

Land Rover vs. Moon Rover, now that's an interesting analogy, but I tend to agree, there is nothing analogous between Fiat (Fix It All The Time) and our beloved Jeep.....

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #16 of 27 Old 08-30-2010, 06:14 PM

does the noies you heard happen while in reverse. That happened to my wifes 07 compass and they found that something with the back suspension the "pair of couse" was due to the parts are specificaly made one for right one for left and the assembly plant put her's the wrong sides

Life is great when cruisen with a Beagle dont leave home without one

07 jeep compass sport
4x4 2.4 16-valve dual vvt
cvtII/ 111,00 miles
customer preferred package 26E
post #17 of 27 Old 09-18-2010, 03:25 PM

2008 Compass rear wheel bearings

I just took my Compass in for grinding noise and the dealer says the rear wheel bears are shot. There's only 53k miles on the car. Sounds like they have an issue. Plus I was told this is not a warrenty issue!
post #18 of 27 Old 09-18-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Mills View Post
I just took my Compass in for grinding noise and the dealer says the rear wheel bears are shot. There's only 53k miles on the car. Sounds like they have an issue. Plus I was told this is not a warranty issue!
Please include configuration, year, 4x4, etc see others signatures or paste at the bottom of your post so we can see what you have.

I am becoming more and more concerned about the reliability and longevity of the Compass having recently purchase the 2009 listed below for the long term. I don't what to be rebuilding the suspension and other components which should last more than 100k. As for your situation and depending on the year etc it should be covered. I would call Chrysler customer relations and complain about the premature failures on that and/or other components. the can authorize the dealer to perform repairs under warranty.

Let us know how that goes.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #19 of 27 Old 09-18-2010, 05:27 PM

The Compass is a 2008 sport 4X4 with the cvt transmission. I did call Chrysler and started a claim process. They told me I should expect a call this Monday or Tuesday.
post #20 of 27 Old 09-18-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
The Compass is a 2008 sport 4X4 with the cvt transmission. I did call Chrysler and started a claim process. They told me I should expect a call this Monday or Tuesday.
Excellent!!!
If everyone who had/has tie rod, arm and other premature failures calls and complains. they will clearly seen a big trend of discontented owners and may eventually rectify the parts quality or design failings. They should not be failing that early or that low millage. Jeep is suppose to be synonymous with durability. Clearly the 2007 and newer models are having the same problems it appear so far on this forum.

The more flack they get the more attention they'll give it and benefit the whole community of owners.

Well Done!!!!

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #21 of 27 Old 09-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Administrator

I agree with tripplec, the more people who let there concerns be heard, the more likely it may be to actually have something done about it! BTW Dennis, welcome to the forum! Be sure to keep us posted on your situation and I hope you enjoy the forum!

- Cherokee

post #22 of 27 Old 09-20-2010, 02:26 AM

i found the invoice from 10/27/07 with 15,000 miles had noise when backing up and they found that the caliper pins (G andI) pins were upsidedown

07 jeep compass sport
cvtII/ 111,00 miles
post #23 of 27 Old 10-23-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Any problem with tire wear? i have had the left rear wheel bearing replaced by the dealer under warranty. Noise now worse than ever. Think its the same bearing problem. now have 63k miles on the jeep. Any word out there on dealer service bulletins?
post #24 of 27 Old 10-23-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I just took my Compass in for grinding noise and the dealer says the rear wheel bears are shot. There's only 53k miles on the car. Sounds like they have an issue. Plus I was told this is not a warrenty issue!
Any tire wear with the rear. I am having poor tire wear one side only. right rear. Left rear wheel bearing was replaced under warranty. Now have 63k miles and making bad noise again. This has got to be a design or material problem. Any answers out there?
post #25 of 27 Old 10-30-2010, 11:32 PM

no answers but same type of problems the suspention sucks i agree with it being a design dealership is no help at all and i have tried at least 4 dealerships still cant seem to get the problem solved. i am done with the whole jeep/dodge crap

07 jeep compass sport
cvtII/ 111,00 miles
post #26 of 27 Old 10-31-2010, 08:16 PM

Compass is not what i expected.

Just replaced both rear tires. Poor tire wear on this model. Still have what i feel is rear bearing noise. havent gone back to the dealer as they seem to have no answers. does anyone know if there is a service bulliten on the compass wheel bearings?
post #27 of 27 Old 11-04-2010, 02:32 AM
Administrator

I don't see a TSB on the bearings, but you're not the first one to have this problem unfortunately.

- Cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in