Head lights stay on too long after locking. - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 03-30-2010, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Head lights stay on too long after locking.

I have keyless entry. When unlocking the lights come on and stay on for a length of time. But also when locking and walking away. Not just a flash which the parking lights do as well. But the headlights are on for minutes.

I parked it last night in my driveway. Locked it with the keyless button. Went inside and sorted out a few things and came back later looking out the window at it and the lights were still on. I waited and eventually they went off. Way too long for my liking, runs the battery down needlessly and could be mistaken for leaving the headlights on. They are manually control and not sunset sensing as in some vehicles.

Anyway too change this?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-30-2010, 04:11 PM

I don't think there is a way of changing that but I have noticed that they don't seem to have a set time. Usually mine are off by the time i get into the house but the other day they stayed on a lot longer. I'm not sure what it is that makes the difference in the time though. But they would have to stay on for at least 15minutes before the battery would be affected.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-30-2010, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Interesting. I will monitor it. I read some aspects can be changed by holding various buttons combination's on the remote but not that alert of the headlights staying on. I just as soon not have anything more than a flash and beep as I have set on my other Jeep.

Thx

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-30-2010, 04:22 PM

Garage
If you have the EVIC button, that's the one to the left of the speedometer, you can press it while car is in park until it shows "personal preference" or something like that. They you press and hold until it shows 0,30sec.,60sec,etc. Select and hold for the one you want. If you don't have the EVIC system you can use the regular button to the right of the speedometer for the light delay feature as well as a few other functions like temperature,etc. If that don't work, call the dealership and ask them how to.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-30-2010, 04:23 PM

I just tried it and the lights went off right away when I locked the doors but it is daylight right now. If i unlock the doors and then lock them right away then the lights do stay on for a bit.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-30-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, will try that. I have just toggled it to this point. It goes through Odometer, Trip A, B, temp and back. Holding on trip of course resets the trip to zero. I'll try it on other settings and see if something useful pops up.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 13 Old 04-07-2010, 09:08 PM

I know that on the 2007's if you do not have the EVIC, then the dealer has to change those settings. That is also in the manual for the '07.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-07-2010, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

I went to a dealer about another problem. The programmed the timeout on the computer to low or off. I checked it once and its much better. PS There was no charge for that service at this dealer. Some may charge since its not a warranty service I was told.

Without the interface the owner cannot make the change themselves anyway.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 13 Old 04-14-2010, 07:27 AM

Garage
I'm pretty sure that you can set that headlight delay in the EVIC personal settings. Thats if you have EVIC. Without the EVIC there are a few things you can change with the holding down the buttons trick. You should look them up I'm sure there's a list somewhere on a Jeep related forum like this one. My Compass has EVIC but I still did the 'one-push unlocks all doors' and 'auto lock' and 'unlock all doors on exit' the manual (button holding/ignition switching) way, as well as pumping the gas pedal etc to make the oil change light dissappear. There must be a way to do the lights too...
post #10 of 13 Old 04-15-2010, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

But this Compass does not have EVIC, so I cannot change it on my own. Its turned off now so I am ok.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #11 of 13 Old 04-24-2010, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

I should confirm that the issue was resolved now. Since I started this post.

My headlights go off immediately now. Remote locking it & if I open via remote to go in and locking it again. They still go off immediately. Perfect! Also the stereo used to continue playing when the key was turned off for a while. It to goes off right away.

All of the above after the dealer in Aurora, ON programmed the time-outs down on various options in the computer. No more battery draining unnecessarily.

I don't know if this vehicle has as power save for headlights (my Caravan did). If the headlights are left on accidentally. All the light turn off on their own after approx 20-30min. I will test this one day and see. But for now I don't need to wonder walking away looking at the headlights on if the switch was forgotten and left on as well. Draining the battery. We need all the battery power in the Winter for starting when its very cold.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #12 of 13 Old 04-24-2010, 02:05 PM

Garage
Winter and batteries dont mix

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-26-2010, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
I should confirm that the issue was resolved now. Since I started this post.

My headlights go off immediately now. Remote locking it & if I open via remote to go in and locking it again. They still go off immediately. Perfect! Also the stereo used to continue playing when the key was turned off for a while. It to goes off right away.

All of the above after the dealer in Aurora, ON programmed the time-outs down on various options in the computer. No more battery draining unnecessarily.

I don't know if this vehicle has as power save for headlights (my Caravan did). If the headlights are left on accidentally. All the light turn off on their own after approx 20-30min. I will test this one day and see. But for now I don't need to wonder walking away looking at the headlights on if the switch was forgotten and left on as well. Draining the battery. We need all the battery power in the Winter for starting when its very cold.
Yes, there is a battery saver on the Compass, for that reason. Pretty much all of your newer vehicles are like that, the headlights will shut off, and on the Compass, I want to say it's two minutes, but it's designed so as not to run the battery down if the lights are left on.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Last edited by Cherokee; 09-04-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in