Electrical Problems - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 29 Old 04-18-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Question Electrical Problems

I have a 2007 Jeep Compass. About a month ago, my front windshield wipers just quit working. Since then, I've had about five mechanics, including dealership mechanics, take a look and they all told me it was the wiper motor. I bought a new motor, put it on yesterday, and it still isn't working. I took it up to a dealership and they told me there could me a short in the electrical system or the tippum? (not sure on the spelling)is going bad. Has anyone ever dealt with a problem like this or have ever heard of this happening?

(Note: everything on the wiper switch works, except the front windshield wipers. The front spray, the rear wipers and rear spray all work fine.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-20-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Electrical Problems continued...

I took my Jeep to the dealership to have it looked at. About an hour and $100 later, they tell me that it needs a new tippum (the fuse box for those of us not mechanically minded). It is going to cost me about $700 to fix, and they did all of the decision-making based on guesswork. Again, has anyone ever heard of a problem like this or have any other suggestions on what we can try to fix it without spending all this money?
post #3 of 29 Old 04-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

I'm no mechanic but this sounds like a huge ripoff my friend..........and why the $100 charge ???

WOW..........I just noticed that this is my 500th posts !!!!!!!

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 04-21-2010, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

reply to post

I think I being ripped off too...and the $100 was for the labor for them to look at it.
post #5 of 29 Old 04-21-2010, 04:23 PM

Garage
From what I read that sometimes a nut that makes the wipers move comes loose and makes them fail. There's really nothing to them either, a motor, worm gear and an eccentric that moves them.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #6 of 29 Old 04-23-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...

A big thanks to all who replied. Apparently there was something wrong with the tippum. But instead of having me purchase the $650 part, they rewired the wiper ground wire to the tippum connection wire and it only cost me $75.

For all who are considering purchasing a Jeep Compass, BEWARE OF THE REPAIR COSTS. EVERYTHING HAS TO GO TO THE DEALER TO BE REPAIRED. Mine only starting having trouble at one month outside of the warranty. BEWARE!!!!!
post #7 of 29 Old 04-24-2010, 11:34 AM

what happened to the original connection (burnt, open, broke). Lastly what is a "tippum"? I've been around but never heard of that.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 29 Old 04-24-2010, 01:54 PM

Garage
That's got to be a local colloquialism or slang. I looked it up and got nowhere.

You sure they didn't say "that guy was so cheeky he didn't tip em"?
post #9 of 29 Old 04-24-2010, 02:12 PM

Well the others make it sound like they know what it is. I got wondering why I never heard of it.

Well my general item reference which relates to any item is "Who-jagger-pivy". I coin that decades ago and permit you to use it with discretion!!!

Cheers

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 29 Old 04-25-2010, 05:02 AM

Garage
I asked a master mechanic I know and he doesn't have the slightest clue what a tippum is

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #11 of 29 Old 04-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

A tippum is a muppit in reverse...................those mechanic have a lot of imagination sometime !!!!!

At least his problem is solved.....

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #12 of 29 Old 04-25-2010, 12:57 PM

Garage
Tippum eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel for life View Post
A tippum is a muppit in reverse!!!!!
Brilliant!!!!

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.
-Henry David Thoreau

post #13 of 29 Old 04-26-2010, 12:45 AM

hmph, nice catch there ffl lol

Run from me if you want to live.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 (4x4 all the way baby!)
post #14 of 29 Old 04-26-2010, 04:31 AM
Administrator

TIPM - Totally Integrated Power Module. This is NOT the vehicle's main computer however. I'll take Jeep trivia for a thousand Alex! Seriously, my ex used to be a Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler tech.....Gotta hand it to y'all, though, the responses to this thread have been hilarious, it's all in the spelling, lol!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Last edited by Cherokee; 04-26-2010 at 04:36 AM.
post #15 of 29 Old 04-26-2010, 11:35 AM

Garage
Now that's freaking amazing!!!
post #16 of 29 Old 04-26-2010, 11:43 AM

Ok, ok now lets not abuse it. So its an acronym T, I, P, M.... ok.

So where is this TIPM located. Then once we know we can all go out in the driveways and look our TIPM's in the eye an tell it to behave itself, or else!!! All on queue of course.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #17 of 29 Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 PM

Garage
I just asked a friend who is a 15 year Toyota tech and he said he has never heard of the word "Tippum" or the acronym TIPM. Go figure why Toyota is in trouble!
post #18 of 29 Old 04-26-2010, 04:55 PM

I doubt this is an industry standard by any stretch of the imagination. May Grand WJ and other vehicles I have/had never had this either. Sure you have banks of relays and such strategically placed but not never all the electrics converging with one box. I wouldn't go so far as fault someone at Toyota just because on vehicle has an all-in-one power module which is what it sound like to me. Seeing a schematic would help understand what is going on in there.

Anyone with a service manual? Haynes or other showing this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #19 of 29 Old 04-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Here goes my theory on this one........

T.I.P.M.............aka or sounds like Tip (t)hem..........Any thoughts???
See what a french canadian guy can do to the english language here !!!!

I amaze myself sometime too !!!!!!!

Sorry Trip..........not technical ......but always loves a good joke and\or a great one liner.....

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #20 of 29 Old 04-26-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:

Sorry Trip..........not technical ......but always loves a good joke and\or a great one liner.....
Ok, pull out a 10 enner from you walet and head down to PJ's pub. Threat yourself to a few cool one their!!

Cheers

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #21 of 29 Old 04-27-2010, 02:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Ok, ok now lets not abuse it. So its an acronym T, I, P, M.... ok.

So where is this TIPM located. Then once we know we can all go out in the driveways and look our TIPM's in the eye an tell it to behave itself, or else!!! All on queue of course.
If the vehicle is equipped, the TIPM is located on the left, front passenger fender. The information I am finding on it, since I don't have access to Chrysler tech info anymore , is for Dodge trucks.....I'll keep looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeye View Post
I just asked a friend who is a 15 year Toyota tech and he said he has never heard of the word "Tippum" or the acronym TIPM. Go figure why Toyota is in trouble!
It's not a Toyota thing, so it doesn't surprise me he didn't know, no offense to his expertise or anything!!! Let's see, TIPM in Toyota terminology......Terrifying Impediment to Perpetual Motion (oops, brakes don't work)?

Quote:

Ffl, you amaze me, too, your humor is hilarious (see my above attempt)! We can't be so serious all the time now can we?

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

Last edited by Cherokee; 04-27-2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Was going to add new info here but just made new post.
post #22 of 29 Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Update on previous post, found a similar problem someone else had:

So last week my '06 wipers starting behaving erratically and then quit. Using common sense and the TDR, it suspiciously sounded like an electrical issue. My 03-5 service CD says there is a relay but to my surprise, the '06 has a TIPM in place of the fuse/relay box and isn't real user serviceable.

I felt all along that the motor was getting sufficient current, it just ran slow (in fast) and not at all in the other positions, then just quit.

I decided the quickest route was to try a new motor (Advance Auto $3, which did nothing. I took it to the dealer where the writer said he never heard of a TIPM issue, and said it was likely the motor. $93 later, he ordered a $125 motor for me. Installed that last night, no change. Took it back this morning and told him to try again.

He just called and said it was the TIPM, and while the truck is out of warranty (52K), he'd install a new one for $200. Perhaps it cannot be just flashed, I dont know.

And, just as an FYI, here is a list of what the TIPM module controls - pretty much everything, lol, but just scroll down the list until you get to Totally Integrated Power Module/Central Gateway CAN and click on that:
http://www.autoenginuity.com/Chrysle...tems-List.html

tripplec, I am still looking to find a schematic or at least a decent diagram for you, but maybe the above will help in the meantime for anyone else who may need to know.

- Cherokee

post #23 of 29 Old 04-27-2010, 12:39 PM

Thanks "Cherokee" that link certainty covers the full gambit of electronics in the vehicle. It has to be a computer as well will all the conditions and sensor states it looks at.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #24 of 29 Old 04-27-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eryoung610 View Post
For all who are considering purchasing a Jeep Compass, BEWARE OF THE REPAIR COSTS. EVERYTHING HAS TO GO TO THE DEALER TO BE REPAIRED. Mine only starting having trouble at one month outside of the warranty. BEWARE!!!!!
I've had mine for 3 years and close to 70,000 miles and haven't used the dealer for anything. My mechanic hasn't had any problem doing any of the preventive maintenance or fixing the AC condenser when a piece of road debris punctured it.

In terms of complexity or having to go to the dealer, I don't think the Compass is any better or any worse than any other late model car. Though, when it comes time to changing the CVT fluid, I probably will go to the dealer for this one.
post #25 of 29 Old 04-27-2010, 02:16 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb01 View Post
I've had mine for 3 years and close to 70,000 miles and haven't used the dealer for anything. My mechanic hasn't had any problem doing any of the preventive maintenance or fixing the AC condenser when a piece of road debris punctured it.

In terms of complexity or having to go to the dealer, I don't think the Compass is any better or any worse than any other late model car. Though, when it comes time to changing the CVT fluid, I probably will go to the dealer for this one.
Good to hear for most of us especially us Do It Yourself guys. Could you please update your signature so we know your year, model, configuration. Sorry but without that reference it difficult to relate. I have an 09 as you'll see in my signature and with 70k miles I am guessing yours is an 07. I suspect your tie rods been replaced by now as most 07 have problems with them wearing out.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #26 of 29 Old 10-31-2013, 06:16 PM

Garage
ok, im going to feel like an idiot for bringing something back from the dead!! This is the exact same problem I am having right now, and after replacing a wiper motor,( as my wonderful warranty was not able to cover anything but a "sorry about your luck")

Has anyone had a problem and found a easy way to fix?
I know where the grounds are all on my compass(very easy to find) but for some reason, I checked them all they seem fine!!
post #27 of 29 Old 11-04-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynold78 View Post
ok, im going to feel like an idiot for bringing something back from the dead!! This is the exact same problem I am having right now, and after replacing a wiper motor,( as my wonderful warranty was not able to cover anything but a "sorry about your luck")

Has anyone had a problem and found a easy way to fix?
I know where the grounds are all on my compass(very easy to find) but for some reason, I checked them all they seem fine!!
Having to go to the being to find out what this might be about. It appears Post #1 & #2 include the answer to the problem. You could disconnect the battery and check and/or clean the TIPM connector but likely its a hard fault.
Taking it to an Auto Electrical shop would be your best bet as it is a very expensive dealer repair otherwise.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #28 of 29 Old 02-23-2014, 05:14 AM

Garage
Tippum

Actually I think they meant TIPM, This is the part that is located just underneath the tray that contains the fuses. A good tech should be able to trace the problem. Unfortunately most mechanics are not well trained in electronics troubleshooting. Sure they know how to fix mechanicals like brakes, etc. But electronics is a whole different ball game. The TIPM uses special parts that work like electronic switches or relays and these are controlled by specially programmed chips. The electronic "switches" can go bad of course but the most likely cause of the problem with TIPMS is the corrosion of contacts in the connectors. The electronic components and the board should have some type of conformal coating to prevent corrosion of the parts and soldering. Unfortunately the electrical connectors may have little or no anti-corrosive grease. Circuit boards and solder connections may also be suspect for cold solders and cracked solder connections. I heard that this was a common problem with some chrysler or dodge vans where the instrument cluster "goes crazy". Even Jaguar was not immune to this problem. A lot of things to check but may not be that hard or expensive to fix if you know what to look for.

WARNING: To avoid personal injury or death, on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the supplemental
restraint system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, occupant classification system,
seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect
and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge
before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the supplemental
restraint system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment, possible
personal injury or death.

Last edited by jeepney_driver; 02-23-2014 at 05:30 AM.
post #29 of 29 Old 05-27-2018, 02:14 PM

The unlikely tipm problem, since it works sometimes. Tipm is like a relay box but without relays. I took mine apart, and it is very unlikely to fail. If it were failing, then your wipers probably would never run, and since it is computer monitored, it would send an OBD2 fault code, that would indicate problems.
Tipm is short for Totally Integrated Power Module.

Anyhow, I suspect wiring problems, as Jeep Compass has a lot of them. Mainly ground wiring. So you should look at the connectors to the wiper motor, and investigate ground wires, and trace back to all ground locations, and suspect a bad ground wire. Vibration causes them to just fail. Rust and corrosion they will corrode from the water.

The wiring in new vehicles is very poor quality, very thin and breaks easily. I have fixed about 5 ground wires. I even had the horn wire actually fall off the horn and the wire burned because it is too thin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in