Clunking noise over bumps - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 05-31-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Clunking noise over bumps

So I have a 2007 Jeep Compass 4x4 with right at 98k highway miles on it. for the past 4-6 months there has been a rather annoying and loud clunking noise when I hit random bumps in the road. I orginally thought it was the Strut bearings, so after spending almost 5 hours replacing those the noise was still there. I am now thinking it is motor mounts. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this. Again it is only over bumps. Also does anyone know how many engine mounts are on an 07 compass(IE upper, lower)? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-01-2010, 06:14 PM

I test drove a 08 when I was looking for mine. It knock excessively over bumps and sounded from the rear.

You likely need to get it up on a hoist and have all the pivot points and stabilization arms, support checked for play/wear.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-02-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Found the problem, fixing Thursday

So after bring my wifes Compass into my shop and lifting her and inspecting everything, I found the issue. The Sway bar Bushings on both sides are completely shot. Ordered new ones from jeep for 6 bucks each. So will just have to disconnect the sway bar and install the new bushings, wont be to bad. Just want to get this out of the way so I can focus on important things like installing my Brand New 7.0 liter 426 Stroker Hemi in my 2010 JK Rubicon Unlimited!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 PM

Very good to know.

I have read about a number of front and rear components failing early in may 2007 Compasses. Tie rod ends seem to be chronic however may be more robust in later years or better quality. But I have not read anything to confirm that yet.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Problem solved!!!!

So after going to Jeep early this morning and buying my new 12 dollar bushings, I installed them which after some thought was rather easy except for the 2 inches of room I had to move the rachet. The problem is now gone, no more death clunk over bumps. So to all out there that have a clunking noise over bumps just check your sway bar bushings and that could very easily be the culprit.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 PM

Very good but now I scared. A 7 litre hemi and JK 2010 Jeep. Wow the gas cost alone would shock me. Either way that's a pipe dream here. So far from my wheels dollars.

Enjoy though wooo

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Gas Mileage is not bad

I opted for a 6.4L and supercharged it instead of the 7.0L and I get better mileage per gallon then the stock 3.8L 6 cylinder. I was get about 18 now I will be getting around 22. Shocking isn't it?

2007 Jeep Compass 2.4L 4x4
K and N Intake Kit
Magnaflow Cat back system
Custom Rims and Tires
2.5" Lift

2010 Rubicon Unlimited
Engine Swapped to a 6.4L Supercharged Hemi
6 Speed M/T
6" Teraflex Lift
37 inch wheels with BF Goodrich 37x12.50 Tires
Olympic front/rear winch bumpers
Rhino Lined Exterior and Interior
Dana D60 front/rear axles
Atlas 2 Speed transfer case
post #8 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 08:54 PM

Dam strait its shocking. I got 27 MPG in my GC w/4.0 I6 on a highway drive from Toronto to Montreal and also on the way back. That was great for this vehicle. In the city it drinks a lot more. Note thats CND gallon as well which is large than a US gallon. So again dam stait and all the power and torque.

Well enjoy it even more than. park that Compass.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

The Compass is the wifes car. She wanted a Jeep, so I bought her the Compass. I am trading it in Monday of next week and going to surprise her with a 2010 JK Mountain Edition. She has done some mild wheeling in mine and loves it. Going to keep it stock 6 cylinder and add an air intake and snorkel kit, mild lift and 32's. Going to add a throttle body kit and a few other odds and ends. We had our Compass from the day they came out. We actually have a plaque from Jeep for buying the first one in 2006 in the southeast region. 100k miles and all I replaced was a battery and sway bar bushings and tires, not to bad.

2007 Jeep Compass 2.4L 4x4
K and N Intake Kit
Magnaflow Cat back system
Custom Rims and Tires
2.5" Lift

2010 Rubicon Unlimited
Engine Swapped to a 6.4L Supercharged Hemi
6 Speed M/T
6" Teraflex Lift
37 inch wheels with BF Goodrich 37x12.50 Tires
Olympic front/rear winch bumpers
Rhino Lined Exterior and Interior
Dana D60 front/rear axles
Atlas 2 Speed transfer case
post #10 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 09:15 PM

Well you got us all touching would here now. Touch touch...hoping our ride are as trouble free as yours. 100k eh, seem s like you were one of them more fortunate people. Lucky wife you have. I bought this 09 Compass for my wife. She endured the GC for years and it wasn't "a me car" as she puts it. More like something I would want. So I took over the GC for myself and go rid of a Caravan I used till now. She really likes it. She took the GC to work today since I had to take the Compass in for some dealer warranty work. She said its like driving a tank and can't wait for the Compass back tomorrow.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #11 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 07:26 PM

What were the size of the bushings. On my website I have a listing of 4 different ones. So not sure which ones to get. I just hope this clears up the darn issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in