Humming sounds - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 05-13-2014, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Humming sounds

Hey so I have a question and kinda need some advice. The other day I was driving my jeep on the highway I pulled over to make a call and without realizing I had put my car into park before coming to a complete stop. Now it's making a humming noise only when I accelerate or maintaining a speed. It's doesn't make any noise in reverse or neutral. I took it took it to one place and he could couldn't fix it or didn't know how so he referred me to another place. Not gonna lie I don't know much about the inner works of cars and I don't want to be jerked around ain't got money for that so if could help me out I would really appreciate it thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
That is an interesting problem, does the humming sound change in pitch or sound depending on the speed?

One theory I have is that the parking pawl (basically) a pin in the transmission designed to keep the vehicle from moving in park may be damaged or dislodged enough it may still be partially engaged while you are driving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #3 of 8 Old 05-13-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it can be louder the faster I go, but as soon as I take myfoot off the gas an let the engine stop the sound goes away. The only time it makes that humming sound is when I have my foot on the gas petal and it doesn't matter what speed I'm at.

That does make sense. I know the shop just called me back not to long agap and they don't really know where its coming from, they think it's either from the transmission or the transfer case so now they are looking at that. I was thinking I might have chipped a tooth. So here's to hopping it's that so they don't have to take part the transmission too.

Last edited by Ashleysonja; 05-13-2014 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 PM

Normally engaging the stick into park with it moving slight does not cause a problem. The paw can make a racket. But that's on a normal transmission. On the CVT I am not sure what they have there myself. But since its only when you're on the gas that does not appear to be that case especially that its ok in reverse. In neutral is doesn't make a noise, but what if you give it a little gas in neutral other than the engine speeding up does it sound ok. DON'T EXCEED 3000RPM, WATCH THE TACH!! Up to 2000RPM is plenty fast enough for that test.

If its drive ok other wise and accelerating ok you may have to wait and see if it goes away.

How fast were you going when you put it in Park? I hope that call was worth it LOL.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #5 of 8 Old 05-13-2014, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Well I don't really know how fast I was going, slow enough to allow me to bout on it park. But yeah I only noticed because my car jolted because I told it to stop before it was stopped.
Inbetween the first shop and I went to and this one it's been five days and things didn't get any better more sounds started coming out of it.
Haha yeah I hoping it' was a good call too.
Ever since thing started sound weird which was the day it happened I baby drove it I didn't exceed 2000 RPM i stayed at 1500, I'm sure I pissed off people but anyways I'm not sure what exactly to do if they don't find anything wrong in the transfer case. I don't know if the tranny is actually the problem
post #6 of 8 Old 05-13-2014, 11:41 PM

We its very hard to say what may have happened. If you can backup in reverse at a fair speed (test in empty parking lot or such). Its not likely the transfer case but some forward component in the transmission (CVT version). A transmission expert might be able to offer some insite.

How is it driving on the highway or faster roads. anything other than the sound?

I appears it will cost money to fix it and won't be pretty.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 8 Old 05-14-2014, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Well I had my boy friend check out and he tested it in reverse and she said there was nothing wrong with it.
Yeah I'm kinda figuring that out... It's a hard pill to sallow
post #8 of 8 Old 05-19-2014, 01:54 PM

Any change in your issue?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in