Front Suspension Crossmember Torn - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 05-25-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Front Suspension Crossmember Torn

Hello all, owned my 2007 Compass for awhile but never needed to dive into mechanical support on the forums yet...until now. So thanks in advance for any help to all who provide it!

There is a large stamped and welded steel crossmember at the front of the vehicle that has somehow torn on my Compass. Tried welding it but it broke the same day. This crossmember has everything front suspension related botled to it. My question is, does anyone know where to pick one up affordably? I can only find the part on 1 website and it costs $411!! It is just a piece of steel with no moving parts. Seems high. I'd be happy with junkyard parts. Any help appreciated, thanks again!

Link to $411 part and diagram of the part I am speaking of (Number 7 in the diagram):
http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com

Last edited by fensox; 05-25-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-26-2014, 02:04 AM

Only a wreckers yard!!! Should be plenty since it does not take much to write off a compass or Caliber which share many parts the same.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-26-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Front Suspension Crossmember Torn

Thanks..that is what I figured I would have to do to get the price down. Anyone know of a search engine online that lets someone search multiple junkyards? My local junkyard doesn't have a Compass for me to tear into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-11-2014, 06:23 PM

Wink

Fensox....I just had this same coversation with a friend at work whose 2007 Compass shat out its front crossmember.

There was a silent recall on these crossmembers and they extended the warranty out to 10 years!

Check witha dealership in your area to see if you can get this done under warranty.

Safe journey,
John
post #5 of 8 Old 06-11-2014, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Recall

YES!! I received the same letter on Friday! I was about as excited as one can get. Have an appointment for Monday at the dealership. The only thing I hope doesn't trip me up is that about 6 months ago when the tear in my crossmember started I put about an inch of weld on it with a MIG welder at my work so that I could get the car home. Hopefully that doesn't void the recal. I would hope not because at the time there wasn't a recall and what do they expect me to do...
post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser20000 View Post
There was a silent recall on these crossmembers and they extended the warranty out to 10 years!
There wasn't a recall; there was a service bulletin issued. And I'm not sure where the silent comes in - letters were sent to customers (at the address on record.)

Service Bulletin NUMBER: 23-012-14
GROUP: Body
DATE: May 19, 2014
This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of Chrysler Group LLC.
NOTE: This only applies to vehicles in the Canadian Market and in salt belt states which include Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, D.C., West Virginia and Wisconsin.
SUBJECT:
Front And Rear Crossmember Corrosion (X58 10 Years Unlimited Mileage)
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves inspecting the front and rear crossmembers for perforation / rust through and if necessary, replace the crossmember(s).
MODELS:
2007 PM Caliber
2007 MK Compass, Patriot
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after August 26, 2005 (MDH
0826XX) and on or before July 23, 2007 (MDH 0723XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe a vibration at the steering wheel or may have been informed by a technician or state vehicle inspection that the front and / or rear crossmember is severely corroded.
POLICY:
Warranty period for crossmember perforation / rust through is extended to 10 years.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

Part of the letter sent to customers: "Chrysler is also authorizing a yearly inspection of your front and rear crossmembers for a period of up to 10 years. Please schedule yearly inspection of your front and rear crossmembers at an authorized Chrysler dealer. A yearly inspection is not needed if your vehicle receives a new front and rear crossmembers."

Last edited by JeepCares; 06-20-2014 at 03:17 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fensox View Post
YES!! I received the same letter on Friday! I was about as excited as one can get. Have an appointment for Monday at the dealership. The only thing I hope doesn't trip me up is that about 6 months ago when the tear in my crossmember started I put about an inch of weld on it with a MIG welder at my work so that I could get the car home. Hopefully that doesn't void the recal. I would hope not because at the time there wasn't a recall and what do they expect me to do...
What happened at the dealer?
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 10:32 PM

I guess it fixed since then and not affecting my 2009 from the dates of coverage.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in