Knocking, Whining, Whirring from Engine? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 06-22-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Knocking, Whining, Whirring from Engine?

Hi there,

I have a 2007 Jeep Compass Sport with CVT transmission. There are about 118,000 KMs on it.

Friday morning on my way to go camping 7 hours away, a strange noise started happening about 3 hours into the trip. It presents only within the first 30 seconds when the car is turned on, and any time I accelerate after that. If I'm idling, the high pitched whirring noise doesn't happen.

A sound clip can be downloaded at: http://www.cardeninteractive.com/help/Revving.m4a

The best one can be heard at around 0:36

Now that being said, my engine seems really loud to me when idling. Almost like a knocking or something. The sound clip can be found at: http://www.cardeninteractive.com/help/Idle.m4a

Both sound clips were taken with my iPhone, with the hood open, with the phone sitting on the ledge at the front of the hood.

Any ideas before I take in to the mechanic tomorrow and have to wait a week for an answer?

2007 Black Jeep Compass 2.4L CVT
2006 Red Mazda 3 4-door

Last edited by Aborted; 06-22-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-23-2014, 05:25 PM

How often do you do your oil changes. When were the spark plugs last changed?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-23-2014, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Oil changes are done every 4 or 5 months, and the spark plugs are probably original. I haven't changed them since I got the car in 2010, and it's an '07.

I took it to the mechanic this morning and he said it sounds to be a bad serpentine idle pulley bearing, so they're replacing it.

Should I mention to them to check the spark plugs?

2006 Red Mazda 3 4-door
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-23-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

They just called me back and informed me that it was NOT, in fact, the idle pulley. It's the alternator.

It's funny because I had even mentioned this possibility to the tech who looked at the car initially and he dismissed it.

I asked them to check the spark plugs as well as I doubt they've ever been replaced.

The repair bill just got a whole lot bigger.

2006 Red Mazda 3 4-door

Last edited by Aborted; 06-23-2014 at 06:19 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-23-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

They said I do need new spark plugs, but not immediately. They quoted $120 for the plugs and labor. I can probably do that part myself for less than $40.

2006 Red Mazda 3 4-door
post #6 of 6 Old 06-24-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aborted View Post
They said I do need new spark plugs, but not immediately. They quoted $120 for the plugs and labor. I can probably do that part myself for less than $40.
4 plugs are cheap. Use copper core plugs as the originals are.

You'll need an extension for the ratched. Min 6" long but not sure if it works well as mine is much longer. If your plug socket does not have the rubber plug still in it (mine don't anymore) you'll need one of the claw parts grabber to catch the end of the loose plug to pull it out. Some dollar stores sell them also available with magnets on them but that won't help. You want to keep dirt from getting in if you have compressed air then use it. After pulling the coil plug off the plug. Blow compressed air down the opening to clear out any debris. Then remove and replace the plug. ( I do them one at a time on this vehicle). I remember I carefully had to remove/disconnect one of the coils to get it out due to the length of the wire.

All and all its a straight forward job as the access is easy.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in