Spinning Front Wheels - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 25 Old 08-08-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Spinning Front Wheels

Don't know if this has been discussed already:

Has anyone experienced your Compass front wheels spinning when you step on the gas after a stop sign or stop light turning green? I have a 2007 and this sometimes happens on dry streets. On wet streets it's even worse. And I'm not stepping down on the gas too much - just attempting to excelerate normally.

Not only is this dangerous but it has to be bad on tires as well as the transmission.

Any ideas for the cause?

Thanks.

jeepcompassowner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-08-2010, 10:48 PM

Garage
Uh Oh! Looks like you got one of dem Dragster Compasses! They only made a few of them guys.
post #3 of 25 Old 08-09-2010, 03:56 AM

Garage
i reccoment the airbox mod so you get better pedal response and feel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(O[][][][]O)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 08-09-2010, 07:40 AM

Garage
Can u please make a video of that and post here, or supply a link, so that we can better assess the problem?

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #5 of 25 Old 08-09-2010, 07:52 AM

Garage
also im gonna guess your on the stock firestones?

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #6 of 25 Old 08-09-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
also im gonna guess your on the stock firestones?
And must be worn out to spin them and/or you have the slickest roads around. Pavement is always extra slippery after a long hot spell and new rainfall. You have to be careful then no mater what you're driving. but your situation is a bit odd. These engines don't have that much torque or power. Better update the tread with your vehicles key equipment and of course tire details so we can relate to your situation.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Last edited by tripplec; 08-09-2010 at 06:23 PM.
post #7 of 25 Old 08-09-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it.
post #8 of 25 Old 08-09-2010, 06:49 PM

I'm shopping for a replacement tire now. Had the Goodyear Wrangler on it and they are about done. $900.00 to put the same tire on, or go with the Uniroyal Tiger Paws for $600.00
post #9 of 25 Old 08-09-2010, 06:52 PM

Wrangle don't work on a Compass, they are a SUV tire and not good in the winter. Tiger paws also a summer tire and skid easily in the winter. You'll be changing them quick.

Look at tirerack for details and performance ratings. http://www.tirerack.com/

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 25 Old 08-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Too bad the shipping and brokerage fees are enormous for Canada......with Tire Rack..........

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #11 of 25 Old 08-09-2010, 08:49 PM

Yes, I know however you can get a pretty good ideal of how various tires fair based on their rating guide. Narrow it down and then check around locally for a good price.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #12 of 25 Old 08-10-2010, 01:01 AM

Garage
I'm looking at the Yokahama Geolander AT/S for my change over. $500each then $50 each for install. I think I'm going to wait for the dealer to have a special then buy them and put them away until next spring and put them on then.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #13 of 25 Old 08-10-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Wrangle don't work on a Compass, they are a SUV tire and not good in the winter. Tiger paws also a summer tire and skid easily in the winter. You'll be changing them quick.

Look at tirerack for details and performance ratings. http://www.tirerack.com/
They won't work on a compass? Some forgot to tell that to my Compass! I've had the Wranglers on it from day one and they have been pretty good even in the winter! Plus my Compass seems to think its a SUV too!
post #14 of 25 Old 08-10-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey01 View Post
I'm looking at the Yokahama Geolander AT/S for my change over. $500each then $50 each for install. I think I'm going to wait for the dealer to have a special then buy them and put them away until next spring and put them on then.
Did you say $500.00 each? Or is that for 4 of them?
post #15 of 25 Old 08-10-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage246 View Post
They won't work on a compass? Some forgot to tell that to my Compass! I've had the Wranglers on it from day one and they have been pretty good even in the winter! Plus my Compass seems to think its a SUV too!
Goodyear rubber is too hard and I've had Wranglers on two other SUV's skids and slips too much in cold and wet roads. Those tires are too heavy (extra plys) for heavier vehicles. It will affect your gas millage as well turning all that weight. My son has an Explorer which had half worn Tigerpaws, first snow fall off they went. They spun and skidded all over. The threads are all wrong for bad weather and snow.

You want a car tire with a lot of bite thats pretty good in the winter and great when wet. Tirerack has tested ratings so you'll have to study it and depending on your rim size everyone may not be available.

Good luck.

I'll likely be shopping in Nov or so since these firestones don't sound good from what I here.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #16 of 25 Old 08-10-2010, 03:22 PM

Yea, I've used tire rack for years now and also tires1010 witch I like better because its a Canadian site. But I think its funny your telling me why I won't like and shouldn't get the Wranglers when I've already stated I have them now and they work very well for me. I'm just checking out options before I get the same tire.
post #17 of 25 Old 08-10-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Yea, I've used tire rack for years now and also tires1010 witch I like better because its a Canadian site. But I think its funny your telling me why I won't like and shouldn't get the Wranglers when I've already stated I have them now and they work very well for me. I'm just checking out options before I get the same tire.
Simply I have had them several time come on my vehicles and they were horrible. But it that all the traction you need fine. There's a lot better tires out there.

Sample photo capture from Tirerack on the Wrangle SR-A. Barely passible in bad weather, wet or snow rating are plan bad all around. This is the guide I used if you can find them in your rim size. Mine is 18" and not made but I would not put them on for free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wrangler SR-A.JPG (55.6 KB, 3 views)

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #18 of 25 Old 08-10-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Simply I have had them several time come on my vehicles and they were horrible. But it that all the traction you need fine. There's a lot better tires out there.

Sample photo capture from Tirerack on the Wrangle SR-A. Barely passible in bad weather, wet or snow rating are plan bad all around. This is the guide I used if you can find them in your rim size. Mine is 18" and not made but I would not put them on for free.
Yet the very same web site lists them as a top seller for the Compass. That tells me that the people who like them are happy with them and not saying too much but the ones who don't are quite vocal about it.
post #19 of 25 Old 08-11-2010, 03:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Did you say $500.00 each? Or is that for 4 of them?
Sadly, that would be each. That's why I'm thinking a sale is in order.

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #20 of 25 Old 08-11-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey01 View Post
Sadly, that would be each. That's why I'm thinking a sale is in order.
Check them out at 1010tires.com, $200.00 each for the stock size of 215/60/17
post #21 of 25 Old 08-11-2010, 08:50 PM

@ 500 each I'd expect balancing, 4 wheel alignment and new alloy rims with Nitrogen all thrown in otherwise someone is getting hosed.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #22 of 25 Old 08-11-2010, 10:17 PM

Garage
Sadly there is only one company in the city to buy Yokohama tires so you pay whatever they want you to. My girlfriend's cousin runs a tire shop so I'm going to ask him if he can get them in when I see him next.

post #23 of 25 Old 08-12-2010, 02:19 AM

Hell, Order them online and get them shipped to you. Then get them installed at the same shop that quoted you $500.00!
post #24 of 25 Old 08-12-2010, 10:20 PM

Garage
Looks cheaper already. I also found that you don't have to change the sensors in the tires as they still sense the same low pressure point.

post #25 of 25 Old 08-14-2010, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Yet the very same web site lists them as a top seller for the Compass. That tells me that the people who like them are happy with them and not saying too much but the ones who don't are quite vocal about it.
I agree with you! The last two vehicles I bought, Compass and my '08 Ram came with the stock Goodyear wranglers and I think you're right, those of us that are happy with them and can say they haven't given us any problems, those opinions do tend to get drowned out by the crowd that has nothing good to say about them, but at least you're not alone in your opinion!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in