Jeep Compass Forum

Jeep Compass Forum (https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/)
-   Repairs - Mechanical problems and questions (https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/repairs-mechanical-problems-questions/)
-   -   Clunks From Front End? (https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/repairs-mechanical-problems-questions/21642-clunks-front-end.html)

BusterOz 08-02-2014 10:03 AM

Clunks From Front End?

Hi There,

My 2012 Compass Limited 4x4 has clunking noises coming from the front end (linkages?), anyone else have this or do I need to have it looked at?

Cheers,

BusterOz

LordReddawg 08-02-2014 11:12 AM

if its clunking i would take in to give it a onces over but bevor u do that check the blets make sure there not lose same for all ur wires and hoses something might of just came lose u never know what it could be might be something easy for u to fix but like i said never know could be the engine hope not good luck

BusterOz 08-02-2014 11:24 AM

Naahhh, sounds like ball joints or tie rods

LordReddawg 08-02-2014 12:06 PM

the way to test that is to jack it up and try to shack the wheel that tell u if a bushing or ball join has gone out one of the easier ways eney way

tripplec 08-02-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordReddawg (Post 48250)
the way to test that is to jack it up and try to shack the wheel that tell u if a bushing or ball join has gone out one of the easier ways eney way

Bump ... This is pretty much it. In the earlier years the entire front end wear out quite quickly. A-arms (includes the ball joint), inner and outer tie rod ends at least. Struts but less likely but torsion bar link will also go.

You have to check them all and how many miles will dictate how bad and many of these you'll need to replace. Eventually all of these on both side for certain as they're very short life engineering.

Be prepare to pay and if you take it to a dealer. Be sure you credit card will handle it or get a bank loan. LOL

aleisa_az 08-02-2014 01:42 PM

so what was the cause?

tripplec 08-02-2014 01:50 PM

Worn out parts. Only an inspection will indicate which ones are worn but likely more than one.

BusterOz 08-02-2014 03:37 PM

Warranty repair?

JeepCares 08-04-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BusterOz (Post 48346)
Warranty repair?

Are you still covered by the Basic Warranty? What's your mileage and In-service date?

BusterOz 08-05-2014 11:37 AM

Yes, about 60,000km on the clock and factory Warranty till Feb 2015 - just had repairs done (under warranty) for rear shocks, water pump and CV Boot.

Jeep Australia have been very helpful.

JeepCares 08-05-2014 03:41 PM

I'm sorry to hear of the problems you've been having. Glad to hear Jeep Australia is helping.

BusterOz 08-08-2014 10:03 AM

Booked in next week for CV boot replacement, see what else we find.

tripplec 08-08-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BusterOz (Post 48786)
Booked in next week for CV boot replacement, see what else we find.

It is always helpful if you detail whenever possible what/when the clunks occur. Up/down on roads, left/right rocking motion, hitting a hole etc. this helps ensure they spot the worn areas the first time. I hated the repeated trips I had to make even though my details were quite detailed in other areas finding the fault seemed evade them.

Good luck

jeepney_driver 08-31-2014 07:02 AM

Check my postings and replies. You will find a lot of good tips to keep your Jeep running like new.

2007 Jeep Compass
218,232 MILES

compassjake 09-09-2014 01:21 PM

bottom ball joint

at only 33k miles and 3 years old i have just had to replace the lower wishbone and bottom ball joint on my compass. having owned more reliable and robust french cars this is quite disgraceful.

thankfully i am a hands on kind of guy and i replaced the wishbone myself which cost me £48 GBP and 2h of my own time.

i also took the opportunity to derust and paint the front subframe as it was badly corroded in some places.

sadly i am looking to trade the compass in quickly for something more robust. there is a list of other silly things i have repaired or had replaced under warranty that i wont bother you all with.

anyway the symptoms of the failed ball joint were vague steering and a knock when going over bumps in the road.

tripplec 09-09-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by compassjake (Post 49986)
at only 33k miles and 3 years old i have just had to replace the lower wishbone and bottom ball joint on my compass. having owned more reliable and robust french cars this is quite disgraceful.

thankfully i am a hands on kind of guy and i replaced the wishbone myself which cost me £48 GBP and 2h of my own time.

i also took the opportunity to derust and paint the front subframe as it was badly corroded in some places.

sadly i am looking to trade the compass in quickly for something more robust. there is a list of other silly things i have repaired or had replaced under warranty that i wont bother you all with.

anyway the symptoms of the failed ball joint were vague steering and a knock when going over bumps in the road.

I you spent time reading that is normal for the Compass and others which are the same suspension and powertrain. The quality of metal appears substandard as I found after doing my own regular oil changes my oil pan has started to rust significantly. I coated it with rust paint to stall this and will do it again before winter arrives. I have never had oil pans rust in 40 years of maintaining my vehicles. The steel used clearly is extremely cheap quality and many parts fail early for the same reason. Brake calipers appear to be another one the is becoming common on many Chrysler vehicles (that according to the mechanic I got to replace it since bleeding need two people). I have sway bar links to replace next week when my son brings them (ordered from old supplier away from where I live now. Much better prices so I am waiting)

compassjake 09-10-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripplec (Post 49994)
I you spent time reading that is normal for the Compass and others which are the same suspension and powertrain. The quality of metal appears substandard as I found after doing my own regular oil changes my oil pan has started to rust significantly. I coated it with rust paint to stall this and will do it again before winter arrives. I have never had oil pans rust in 40 years of maintaining my vehicles. The steel used clearly is extremely cheap quality and many parts fail early for the same reason. Brake calipers appear to be another one the is becoming common on many Chrysler vehicles (that according to the mechanic I got to replace it since bleeding need two people). I have sway bar links to replace next week when my son brings them (ordered from old supplier away from where I live now. Much better prices so I am waiting)

nightmare! i am off to Honda For a CRV fast! my compass has a Mercedes C220 engine with an alloy sump so i hope my oil pan is not rusting.

such a shame as i like my jeep, it has plenty of power and torque, full leather interior and top end stereo but i cant sit by as it falls apart. i should have read the forums etc but my previous car chrysler PT cruiser was built like a brick sh*t house and was an excelent car right up until i sold it with 63k miles on it.

i thought rusty cars were a thing of the past....maybe thats only European cars. i am afraid you guys over the pond have some catching up to do. seeing dome of the 'rotboxes' around Iowa and Illinois when i was there earlier this year i should not be suprised. my agent said it was the ice treatment used there but maybe its just the cheap steel and poor surface coating used on these cars.

tripplec 09-10-2014 01:50 PM

compassjake:

Yes they were better before. Not this series which included the Calibre, Patriot as well as the Compass. Others say even on the Grand Cherokee forum that they've all suffered since FIAT to over the reign of the company.

I have had Chrysler and other vehicles to 200,000km on many vehicles. Not a one of them had problems with the steel oil pan rusting and were a lot older. This is still young in its life and I am see that as a problems as well as one other poster who has replace their oil pan already.

Yes, we have salt and sand applied to the roads in the winter but that has not affected those parts before. A high quality steel will not rust and never has before. So far I have had more repairs done to the compass that my last two Chrysler vehicles put together in their entire life. Its ridiculous as most people invest in a new or almost new vehicle to get away from having to do repairs beyond wear and tear items. Not parts failing for no good reason or ceasing from working. This appears to be the case here and the evidences strong. Jeeps become a fix and repair daily class vehicle. I just does not seem to end.

Quality, reliability as well as durability are the factors I look for in any vehicle.
I am retired and had to move so I have to work on a gravel driveway which is a pain.

I am looking at 2009 Sante Fe AWD later today which may replace my aging GC with nearly 300,000km on it. Still going strong and no oil pan rust etc . Minor body around the wheel well on one side only has rusted. But I am hoping not to inherit something that would be short lived.