Jeep compass 2007 oil change and other questions - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 08-17-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Jeep compass 2007 oil change and other questions

Hi Guys
I am new to this forum and I would like to know a thing which makes me nervous

I do have the jeep compass 2007 2.4 benzin

I looked at the oil and it looked dark well lets say not little dark but a bit more than little. but not burned.

on the cover its written put 5w-20
I couldnt find it in finland then I went to the jeep dealer and he said we put here 5w-40 full syhthetic oil! and no market has 5w-20 there is only 5w-30 and then something like 0w-__

the other thing that car was serviced when it was 60 000km and now its 65700km so the dealer said usually it depends on the country here in finland we change oil every 30 000km and we change spark plugs every 45000km and oil kind 5w-40

so any advice please? what are differences with oil types? and does then 5w-30 work better?

another thing can air filter be cleaned or it has to be exchanged?
and spark plugs they look with no carbon on the ends but the white part of it has a yellow circle from the begining of it? still works? or should be replaced?

thanks alot for any advice you may tell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Administrator

Hello compasser and welcome to the forum, glad to have you!

Some good questions you have there. Do you have your owner's manual? First, let me say it's always recommended that you follow the service/maintenance as outlined in your owner's manual. It does make it easier on you since you know when these things were last done.

As far as the oil, I don't know of different allowances being made for the weight of the oil in countries with colder climates, but there are others here who can give you their opinion on that. Yes, 5W-20 is the recommended oil for the Compass, but I don't see where 5W-30 is going to make much difference, it's thicker but not by that much, and since you don't have MDS, this shouldn't be a problem. Just stick to your maintenance and you should be fine. If you want to switch to synthetic, that is not a problem, either. It is a bit more expensive but it doesn't break down nearly as quickly as conventional oil, so the benefit, to me, is worth the little extra cost. It's just not advisable to switch back and forth between the two.

If your air filter is just dirty, no oil or anything, you can blow it out, but since those are not all that expensive, I say go ahead and replace it.

Spark plugs, if those are your original spark plugs and you have 65,700km on it, I would say time to replace those as well since you're well past the 30,000 service on the original plugs. Good to know they look clean, but after so long, you'll notice when you look at them that the gap between the electrode and the plug has gotten bigger, so just because they're clean doesn't tell you the whole story, they may just be worn.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully this answered some of your questions and I'm sure others here will give you their advice as well, but sounds like you're on the right track anyway.

Feel free to ask if you need any more help and I hope you enjoy the site!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #3 of 3 Old 08-18-2010, 12:46 PM

I have seen some engines specing out 5w20 and I am not sure I am buying it. Its pretty thin at 20 weight when the engine is hot. I put in 5w30 (I already had on hand on my last change). I found 5w20 and will try it next and in the winter. How cold are your Winters? We get down to -15 to -10 C here and times colder and up to around 0 C now and then where I am in Canada.
You could check with your dealer and see what they have to say about that engine.

That plug colour is normal and burning real clean. If it starts and runs good I would not bother personally. Change them yourself if you're really concerned I expect they should be visible at the front. I'll have to check mine layout but 4 cylinders should have them facing the front. The air filter is usually ok if you can see daylight through it holding it up to the sky or use a trouble light behind it. Tap out any dust or debre and reinstall and if its looking very grey. Look for a replacement and put a new one in as soon as you can. Gas millage will be the main point of impact.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in