possible control arm problem? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 08-24-2014, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

possible control arm problem?

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and have somewhat of a problem with my wife's 2010 Jeep Compass. It has 65,000 miles and seems to have a possible bad control arm. While driving through town there seems to be some movement underneath the drivers foot, but when you get on interstate to drive without stop and go, it doesn't occur.. To me it feels like a bad control arm because I had to replace two on my wife's older car a few years back and I remember the way the control arm acted before replacement. However I'm also thinking possible bad sway bar bushings, tie rod end, or even possibly bad motor mounts (because when you let off accelerator, the movement seems to occur as well).

Has anyone else had this problem before? It feels like something is loose on the drivers side right beneath my feet. It mainly occurs when hitting small bumps or as mentioned when I let off the accelerator occasionally.

Thank you for any and all help!

Jon Preston
2010 Jeep compass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-25-2014, 03:03 PM

A-arm ball joint is a good candidate but pretty much all the front suspension could have worn out points. Inner/outer tie rod ends even struts and sway bar links.

I have replace almost all of mine. The parts used are very poor and wear quickly. The later years appear to be better but still done prematurely. I've just ordered a set of front sway bar links for mine they're gone. Easy test for them, just grab to top roof rail and sway the car side to side. You'll hear a sharp clicking sound from the front. If you have someone to help they can locate it quickly. Reach over the tire and grab the link arm and they'd feel the vibration and going to the upper and then lower knuckle of the link ends you can feel which ones are worn out. I currently have an upper knuckle on one side and lower on the other side worn. I am replacing them both this time with a set of Moog links since I replaced one link less than a year ago and have to again it seems. I am told the Moog links are lifetime warrantied.

As for the rest of it you have to jack the wheel and check for play in the ball joint and tie rods. Most of this can be determined by one person. Note, when wiggling the drivers side wheel and checking the inner tie rod end at the rack and pinion output. There may appear to be play because of movement. However the steering wheel will be moving when doing the left to right motions falsely indicating it may need replacement. I got caught with that already. Needlessly changing it out. (If someone holds the steering wheel tight the movement will all but disappear)

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 08-25-2014 at 03:06 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-31-2014, 06:55 AM

Garage
When I was in the Philippines, my Mom bought a brand new Renault 10. Within one year, the tie rod ends and the ball joints went bad. I think the car had only about 11,000 miles on it. The reason they went bad, I was told is that it often rains in the Philippines and a lot of times we drove thru flooded streets. Molybdenum disulphide grease was already being used at that time but manufacturers only put a small amount of it in the ball joints. Moisture seeped in and the joints went bad very quickly. When you change your ball joints, cut the boots on your old ball joints and you will see brownish, gritty or contaminated grease. You will notice that there is very little grease too. So now on my '07 Jeep Compass, I greased up my control arm ball joints and all my sway bar link joints with Castrol Pyroplex Blue. Now after 218,000 miles my control arms are still original, my sway bar links are still original (front and rear).

I did replace, and greased the new inner/outer tierods that I put in. (left and right) because the originals were not greased in time to arrest the wear and tear. I also replaced the front and rear sway bar bushings. The old ones made noise and believe me they do! Spent about 25 bucks for front and rear bushings. Excellent investment. Suspension feels good. No noise or funny feel.
I am thinking now of replacing the shocks just because of the miles (> 218K) Maybe I'll wait a little bit. What do you think? I realize that some places have a lot of moisture or rain. I hope we can do a statistics analysis by region how many jeep owners experience ball joint wear/failure and at what mileage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in