Bad PTU or CV axle, weird noise - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 09-11-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Bad PTU or CV axle, weird noise

I"ll post this video here, i'll try to describe what's going on.

First off, issue is more noticeable when the temperature is colder out say 10c and below.

When accelerating with light pressure on the gas pedal starting around 20kms/h and up to about 60kms/h there is a clunking/knocking sound. Sounds like someone is shaking marbles around in a jar. it is related to something in the drivetrain as the faster I go the faster in sequence the noise gets "faster"

at speeds higher than about 60kms/h its more of a hum, but instantly goes away when I let off the gas.

2012 Jeep Compass FDII Possible PTU Noise - YouTube

From limited reading online it sounds like it could be bad bearing in the PTU, but I'm also thinking possible cv axle related. Haven't taking in to the dealership yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-13-2014, 01:34 AM

Garage
Doesn't sound too good - hope you get it sorted without too much grief.

Windscreen looks nasty too?
post #3 of 5 Old 09-14-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah windshield cracked last year after a stone chip that I never got filled in. The worst part about this problem is that it happens most of the time but not all the time. I'm going to wait until It either fails catastrophically and needs to be fixed. Or gets worse.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-15-2014, 12:21 PM

Could be a bad bearing but not in the transmission. Have you tried dropping it into Neutral and see if it goes away and/or if your rev slight while in neutral and still rolling if its there and changes with the increased RPM's its not the tranny.

If you still in your warranty I would have it checked, at least its documented even if they cannot find the source the first time.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #5 of 5 Old 09-15-2014, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I hope its warranty, I'm just hesitant to take it in because of my lift, my dealership isn't that mod friendly, although they would have to prove that my lift caused the issue.

The noise is speed related not tied to engine RPM. As an example I have a FDII so I have low range I can drive in low range and the sound starts at around the same speed and increases at the same rate based on speed, it isn't rpm depended, so at least based on that it shouldn't be transmission engine. It only happens when I'm trying to accelerate .

I did take some videos before under my compass, and I though there was a lot of movement of the rear diff and driveshaft, I could possibly have a lose or broken mount somewhere, that the force of me accelerating may cause enough movement for the driveshaft to be contacting something. I did have it up on jackstands a few weeks ago but I don't think that is a good test since everything is hanging free in the air.

Here is a video

2012 Jeep Compass FDII Rear diff/driveshaft Play - YouTube

What has me somewhat puzzled is how the problem become more prominent the colder the ambient temperature gets. Since I live where in about 3 months it will be about -30c who knows how bad it might sound then.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in