2007 Fuel pump replacement - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By PAJeep
  • 1 Post By tripplec

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 Old 08-21-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

2007 Fuel pump replacement

We have a green 2007 Compass. The local garage says it needs a new fuel pump. It has sat at the garage for over a week. They said it would take 2 days to get a new fuel pump in and it will cost $478!!!! Today, Saturday, the pump is still not in. I stopped at the local NAPA store and they said they can sell me the fuel pump for a 2.4 liter for $177. I am about to go to the garage after they close and go get my car.

Can anyone give me a "how to" to replace the fuel pump? I know the Compass has an access panel under the rear seat. So that sounds easier than having to take off the fuel tank, but that's all I know. Can a not so good backyard mechanic do it myself???? I have replaced fuel pumps on my 1954 Ford pickup before but that is a mechanical pump that is actuated by the cam.

Can anyone give me some tips? How hard is it??? I am going for the car and towing it home. It is only 5-6 blocks away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-21-2010, 06:49 PM

Premature for that to go, what 3 years old. I would be on the horn with Chysler and complain big time. You may have to get a Hyans or other service manual for tips. I would be shocked if someone had done that.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-21-2010, 07:26 PM

Good luck man. I had a hell of a time removing 15mm bolts holding the tank straps on...Too bad its so hard to find an honest mechanic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 08-22-2010, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdradioguy53 View Post
Good luck man. I had a hell of a time removing 15mm bolts holding the tank straps on...Too bad its so hard to find an honest mechanic
There is an access panel to the tank beneath the rear seat.
geocachenut likes this.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-22-2010, 02:44 PM

You should check with the Jeep dealer to be not only certain it is the pump (early failure if it is). Maybe a pump relay, pressure switch or such. Jeep my give you a one time extension on the warranty for that problem. I does happen you know.

You should go to a dealer and talk to the manager or talk to jeep directly. The can get it towed in for examination.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old 08-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Administrator

I agree, that is awful soon for the fuel pump to go out. Do you have any warranty on it? Sometimes, if you're not too far out of factory warranty, a dealership will grandfather it in and honor the warranty replacement. I would be talking to a service manager first, see what, if anything they can do or recommend, then change it yourself as plan B so to speak if needed.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #7 of 20 Old 08-28-2010, 08:16 PM

Garage
If the pump is anything like the chev pumps then it is built into the sending and float unit on the top of the tank. There will be a retaining ring on the top on the tank that needs to be spun around and removed so the sending unit can be removed. Next the hoses get removed (remember where they came from) and an electrical connection or two. Just slip in the new sending unit and re-connect the hoses and electrical connectors. It's really easy but I'm not sure if that is what the jeep has.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #8 of 20 Old 08-28-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your help! I bought a "fuel module" as they call it from NAPA for $177 plus PA sales tax. A buddy from my church who is a mechanic full time came over and it took us less than one hour to put it in. It took NAPA 2 days to get it in. Very easy and I saved a lot of $$$!!!

thanks, Again
post #9 of 20 Old 08-29-2010, 12:28 AM

Garage
very happy to hear it went well

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #10 of 20 Old 08-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Very nice PAJeep, glad you were able to get it fixed!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #11 of 20 Old 11-08-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Premature for that to go, what 3 years old. I would be on the horn with Chysler and complain big time. You may have to get a Hyans or other service manual for tips. I would be shocked if someone had done that.
My Fuel Pump went yesterday in my 2007 Compass - $483 AUD for a new one ($177 is an aftermarket non Genuine part)

I too am getting in contact with Chrysler to cover under warranty even though it is out by a few months and the car is only 3 years old. This seems to be a regular occurance with this model.

Not Happy.

2007 Black Jeep Compass Sport
post #12 of 20 Old 11-08-2010, 11:49 AM

You and we all need to call Chrysler (local offices) and voice our displeasure with early part failures. What ever they are. So hopefully they get the message on durability is not there as has been synonymous with Jeeps!
Rocky likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #13 of 20 Old 11-24-2010, 07:03 PM

Im glad everything turned out ok. Quick question tho, i never knew about an access panel underneath the rear seat, how do i get access to it?? Thank you for any replies
post #14 of 20 Old 12-01-2010, 08:33 PM

Unhappy

Wow I can't believe this! I too have a 2007 compass that died. I drove to the mall o get my daughter not gone for more then 15 minutes and low and behold I get back in my car and it didnt start. I get it towed to the dealer and 5 hours later they call to say it was the fuel pump and possibly the PCM. Wont know for sure until they replace the fuel pump. Of course I am out of warranty so $60 for a tow and $465 later..... I call Chrysler to voice my concerns. What dealer doesn't have a tow truck??? Mine obviously. I told the lovely people at chrysler that if they don't cover it under a warranty extension they can REPO the dam car from the dealer. The car is only 3 years and 5 months old... this should not be an issue.

Keep you posted !
post #15 of 20 Old 05-04-2011, 04:16 PM

Ok I need help, my 2007 jeep compas began making a noise, At first it sounded as though it was idleing hard, I had to replace an o2 sessor and was told the noise was from that and it should go away after the computer reset itself. Well it did not go away it has gotten worse now it is a loud clicking best way to describe it. The car has thrown no lights, oil is good as well as all other fluids and belts and no other mechanical issues, drives well, steers well, etc. long story short took it to a local jiffy lube and was told it was my power steering pump? The car has no other problems that would indicate that this could be the issue. Not steering hard, no noises if I turn the wheel hard left or right, not using fluid. I am a little perplexed any ideas from anyone? the jeep dealership impossible to deal with want an arm an aleg just to look and then to repair if the issue.
post #16 of 20 Old 08-12-2013, 04:10 AM

Still cant find how to replace fuel pump 2007 Compass Limited 4wd

I have found where people have replaced the pump...but no details on how they did it .. So is there a panel under the back seat ? .. simple tools are needed to replace ? I plan to try and take the seat out tomorrow, but unsure of how to do that ... its my gf's car and I really dont want to mess anything up . ANY HELP is appreciated ..Thanks

2007 4cyl Compass 4WD
post #17 of 20 Old 08-12-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

There is a bolt or 2 that hold down the rear seat. Then there is an access panel to get to the fuel tank and the fuel pump.

good luck!
post #18 of 20 Old 08-24-2014, 03:02 PM

Garage
There are two bolts on the floorboard, remove those two and lift the front of the seat. Next, remove the rubber mat. You then see two plastic access panels. Remove the Drivers side. Budda Bing! Budda Boom....there is your fuel pump. Now the question I have is how the heck do I remove that damn metal ring? There is a small plastic piece in one of the holes which I believe is not allowing me to spin the ring off....anybody?
post #19 of 20 Old 08-26-2014, 02:40 PM

Smile finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocachenut View Post
There are two bolts on the floorboard, remove those two and lift the front of the seat. Next, remove the rubber mat. You then see two plastic access panels. Remove the Drivers side. Budda Bing! Budda Boom....there is your fuel pump. Now the question I have is how the heck do I remove that damn metal ring? There is a small plastic piece in one of the holes which I believe is not allowing me to spin the ring off....anybody?
Did you find out how? I have to replace mine and if you know how to do this I would be grateful if you shared. Thanks
post #20 of 20 Old 08-27-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isold1t View Post
Wow I can't believe this! I too have a 2007 compass that died. I drove to the mall o get my daughter not gone for more then 15 minutes and low and behold I get back in my car and it didnt start. I get it towed to the dealer and 5 hours later they call to say it was the fuel pump and possibly the PCM. Wont know for sure until they replace the fuel pump. Of course I am out of warranty so $60 for a tow and $465 later..... I call Chrysler to voice my concerns. What dealer doesn't have a tow truck??? Mine obviously. I told the lovely people at chrysler that if they don't cover it under a warranty extension they can REPO the dam car from the dealer. The car is only 3 years and 5 months old... this should not be an issue.

Keep you posted !
From being on this forum for some time and my personal extensive experience of all the parts gone into my 2009. The 2007 was one of the worst years but marginally better later on but it appears not by much. Front ends still wearing out very early as are brake wear (fortunately pads are cheap, but just had a caliper failure, should not happen), steel is very poor my oil pan is started a rust through process. Fortunately I caught it in an oil change and started painting it before winter sets in again. Can't use quality steel on important components is stupid. Where does it end, I am not sure. But its a pain to keep fixing it so often.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in