shifter issues - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 11-14-2014, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

shifter issues

I have a 2008 jeep compass. I've had it for a little over a year. I recently was having trouble get the car to go into drive. That quickly stopped but now the car won't shift out of park. I have tried the switch that is beside the shifter. I can manually put the jeep in reverse, neutral, and drive. The shifter moves freely but the car stays in park. I just need to know how to fix this problem myself or if I have to take it into the garage.

Last edited by kwill_2; 11-15-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-15-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

I really need to figure something out because right now I am manually putting the jeep in gear under the hood. I have a 1 year old so as you can imagine, this is very difficult
post #3 of 12 Old 11-16-2014, 09:53 AM

Garage
Best advise on this one take it to a shop and get it looked at could be your transmission.
But if u want to take a look at it ur self look under it at the shifting points that go to ur transmission see if there broken or bent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-16-2014, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

I had it in the shop for 4 days and they kept telling me they didn't know what was wrong and just told me to come get it. I was told yesterday by a friend that it may be the inner cable in the shifter. I'm not sure how difficult of a fix that would be.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-27-2014, 04:27 PM

Having the same issue 2012 jeep compass

Hey there I am having the same issue.......It had happened in the first year I owned it where I couldnt get the car out of park and into drive, the problem went away for a while and now its doing the same thing,,,,,I was always able to finally get it into park before but now that this problem has started up again, I cant get it out of park! Its stuck in my driveway....been turning it on and off to get it to work and no luck.......Would appreciate any help anyone could give me. Thank you!
post #6 of 12 Old 12-29-2014, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

MarvinG it ended up being a pin in the shifter. I took the shifter completely off. It holds the car in gear which was causing it to stay in park. I can't quite remember what we used but it had a loop and ridges and fit perfectly with a nut on the straight side. It was a cheap easy fix and its something that just happens.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-06-2015, 04:00 PM

Shifter issues

Thank you so much for this info......I had to take off that quarter sized plastic piece off the side of the shifter and manually push the lever inside to get it out of park.........Then it just stopped happening.....Though when i turn my car on I can hear it making a rattling noise inside the shifter for a sec like if its malfunctioning but it still lets me get it out of park without having to manually releas it from inside.....Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it!!!!
post #8 of 12 Old 06-23-2015, 03:40 PM

Garage
New Member Responding---Same problem--SHIFTER STUCK IN PARK--2007 compass. How do I like my compass, well I bought it 2 years ago and a month later I had a bad squeak in suspension, and after a thousand dollars later--replacing (everything) in suspension, I still have a bad squeak. But I do like the 4x4 system it has. thanks jhoss
post #9 of 12 Old 06-23-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoss View Post
New Member Responding---Same problem--SHIFTER STUCK IN PARK--2007 compass. How do I like my compass, well I bought it 2 years ago and a month later I had a bad squeak in suspension, and after a thousand dollars later--replacing (everything) in suspension, I still have a bad squeak. But I do like the 4x4 system it has. thanks jhoss
Hey Jhoss,

Welcome to the Forum! Have you had the issue inspected at an FCA dealer? I’ve provided some information in regards to the shifter below. Let me know if you’d like any assistance setting up an appointment.

TSB: 21-013-06 REV. A

SUBJECT:Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) Automatic Shifter Diagnostics

MODELS:
2007 (PM) Caliber
**2007 (MK-49/74) Compass/Patriot**

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with an Continuously Variable
Transmission (CVT) (sales code DAV).

DISCUSSION:
The Automatic Transmission Shifter for 2007 PM and MK vehicles equipped with a CVT
transmission includes several new features:
1. The Shifter’s serpentine pattern does not require the shifter to have a button on the
knob to release it from “Park”. There is a blocking lever within the Shifter that
prevents undesired shifting out of “Park”.
2. The shifter has a solenoid which is actuated by depressing the brake pedal. This
prevents shifting out of “Park” without the brake pedal being depressed. To operate
the solenoid, the ignition must be in the “On” or “Run” position and the brake pedal
must be depressed. The Brake Switch sends a signal to the Cabin Compartment
Node (CCN) and the CCN, in turn, energizes the solenoid that moves the Park Lock
Lever to allow the driver to shift out of 'Park”. On the right side of the Console Pod is
a plug that allows access to the Park Lock Lever for manual operation.
3. The Interlock Cable is attached to a lever within the Shifter that prevents the Shift
Lever from moving out of “Park” without the key (theft prevention). The Interlock
Cable adjustment is preset at the factory. When properly adjusted, the Interlock
System prevents the key being removed from the Key Cylinder when the Shift Lever
is in a position other then “Park”.

Thank you,
post #10 of 12 Old 06-24-2015, 11:17 PM

Garage
Jeep Shifter---Took the cap off the side and moved the lever ahead and--WHO--it came right out of park. thanks all----Wife fit to be tied, had to walk home,,walking will either make you humble or mad as a wet hen.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-24-2015, 11:27 PM

Garage
Jeep shifter

Andrea---Thanks for the offer, after this 2 year running battle to keep this compass on the road, I think I will park it in the gravel pit beside the new buick I bought new and only drove it 80k before it was wore out twice. Bought a subaru outback today--thanks for all your help
post #12 of 12 Old 06-25-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoss View Post
Andrea---Thanks for the offer, after this 2 year running battle to keep this compass on the road, I think I will park it in the gravel pit beside the new buick I bought new and only drove it 80k before it was wore out twice. Bought a subaru outback today--thanks for all your help
Enjoy the Subaru. I moved into a Sante Fe myself and my wife still riding the Compass. But as you said its battle quieting these down. Anyone with one after the first few years will have you have replace all the suspension pretty much front and back. The ADP on the alternators are another pain and serviceability is as bad as it can get for it. If you're not a DIY and rely on the dealer you'll certain be looking to dump it before you've paid for another vehicle fixing this. Many of their service are killing us with the labour charges alone. Some parts need help for DIY repairs with more professionals tools and or a hoist to actually do.
I have a rattle moving slow in the rear passenger side. I am not sure what it is. Occurs moving slow on uneven road.

I put new tires on it a few weeks ago and also much quieter riding.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 06-25-2015 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in