rack and pinion - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 10-05-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Angry rack and pinion

so i got my jeep up on the ramp at work, and figure i would check her over before the winter comes. i feel some looseness in the d/s front wheel and it turns out to be an inner tie rod end. so i call the dealer and every aftermarket shop in town and you cannot buy these, there are part of the rack and pinion????????? so now i got to dish out 500 buck for a new rack. i figured chrysler would have changed this with all the problems they had with the old dodge dakota's with the same set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

what about warranty here ??

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Administrator

I agree, if you have any warranty, I would be taking it in, especially since this is a known problem on the Compass. And this definitely jogs my memory because the last rack I dealt with was a '97 Dakota, and I believe the inner tie rod ends we purchased separately, but the only listing I can find for the Compass is the outers.....

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-08-2010, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

no warrenty, i purchased it used with 72,000km on it. i searched everywhere, even called a dealer in the states that i have delt with through work, to see if they knew a way around it. but unfortunantly im stuck. good thing is i get garage price where i work with a dealership, so it is 425 + tax as apposed to 870 they normally charge, i almost passed out when he told me there was that much of a mark up. and since i am a mechanic i do my own work so i save on labour.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-21-2010, 10:15 PM

i have an 07 that just turned over 67k and i am on my second rack and pinion. thankfully i did have a warranty but i am still having a loud "popping" sound when making a full turn. does this sound familiar to anyone?
post #6 of 9 Old 10-22-2010, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum kingston08! Definitely sounds like you're still having problems and since it was a warranty repair, I would be taking it back. Part of a warranty is not just the warranty on the parts but on the work as well. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the site!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #7 of 9 Old 10-22-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

well it is replaced. not half as bad as i thought it would be, took me about 2.5 hours including wheel alignment. found out there is a lifetime warrenty on the new rack so that is a bonus. still sucks though to shell out this kind of money this close to christmas.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-26-2010, 01:22 PM

I have the same rack problem on my 07 and was quoted by the dealer 895.00 to repair. What are you talking about "lefetime warranty"?
post #9 of 9 Old 10-26-2010, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

i got the rack through napa, limited life time warrenty, means if the rack fails and it is fault of the rack and not install or driver error/ damage it is covered

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in