Engine vibration when stopped in and out of gear?? - Jeep Compass Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 101 Old 10-13-2010, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Engine vibration when stopped in and out of gear??

First of Hello everybody I was pleased to see a specific Compass forum as my wife and I are new owners of a sexy black 2008 Jeep Compass Sport.
I will start by saying we have only had the Jeep for 2 weeks and have only been able to enjoy it about 1/3 that time (its been in the shop the rest of the time). The Jeep is the 2.0L 2x4 cvt/auto stick model (I know I know I wanted the 4x4 2.4 but what ya gonna do.
When we test drove the Compass we both really liked the way it felt/drove but did notice a vibration when stopped in drive. The salesman explained that it is due for a tranny service and he is sure that will take care of the vibration, we didn't notice any other issues- it shifted impressively smooth and fast just vibrated at a stop.
The dealer took the Jeep in to Chrysler to have the issue fixed the day after we bought it but when we got it back the problem still persisted. I took the Compass to my mechanic thinking it was a bad motor mount since the tranny had been serviced, computer flashed and a clean bill of health was issued by Chrysler. My mechanic verified that the motor mounts are good and explained that it doesn't look/feel like a tranny problem, he pointed out that the engine was shaking out of gear as well and explained that he would have to open the engine to see what the problem is. He did give me an idea of a couple things that may cause the problem, he said it looks like the engine is out of ballance and it may be a problem with either the ballance shaft or torque converter...
I took the Jeep back to the dealer and explained what I had been told, they argued saying nothing is wrong with it and its normal. I then found out when they sent the Compass to Chrysler they told them it was not shifting correctly and revving up??? That's not at all what the problem is so I had them send it back to Chrysler to get the real issue (motor vibrations) checked out.
After all of this they call me today saying Chrysler looked at it and are saying nothing is wrong. I'm not happy at all with this situation/purchase and would like to see if others have had this vibration issue with their Compass and what was done to fix the problem.
The Jeep has 65000mi on it, its a 1 owner (rental car company) and in great shape all around. Please help- we have a new baby girl coming in December and this purchase was intended to make our lives a lot easier with our growing family, we can not afford to get stuck with a new car that's going to need an engine soon (that may be dramatic but you get the gist of it). Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 10-13-2010, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

???

Anybody? Has anyone had this issue or have a good idea of what I can tell Chrysler to find and fix this problem. After reading all of the horrible stories on here about broken this or that on all these Compasses with way low miles I now feel like we made a HUGE mistake buying this Jeep and should try to fight our way out of the deal while we still (maybe) can..... I can't believe how unreliable these little csuv's are looking to be.
post #3 of 101 Old 10-21-2010, 03:01 AM
Administrator

Well first off, welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your problem and I have to agree with your mechanic's thought, does not sound transmission related to me, but more along the lines of perhaps a clogged fuel injector or even bad fuel. I would try running a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through it on your next fill up and see if that makes any difference.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 101 Old 10-21-2010, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the reply and the welcome. Well after being at the dealership for over a week we finally picked up the Compass today.... Were glad to have it back since we have only been able to actually drive the Jeep a few days out of the 3 weeks we have owned it...

So the good news is that Chrysler says they thuroughly checked the Compass and find nothing wrong with it. Well that would actually be good news if the noticable vibration issue no longer existed but sadly that's not the case... I'm completely stuck at this point as I have pushed and shoved to get this issue resolved through the dealership with no results. They tell me that's just normal for these Compasses when they get a few miles on them (65000) and nothing seems to be malfunctioning. I'm so frikin frusterated that this so called normal vibration can't be fixed. Does anyone else have this issue? Is it really a normal thing for the Compass to vibrate and hum when stopped?

Ill go ahead and throw a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner in it or maybe even spend a bit more and grab some BG 44k to see if that helps at all but I really don't think its a fuel issue. The Jeep runs fine, doesn't skip a beat and is getting 25mpg mixed so I don't think its starving for fuel. I'm not a auto mechanic by trade but I am in school for Industrial Automation/Mechatronics and am pretty mechanically inclined but I'm at a loss here. Its looking like my only option at this point would be to pay my mechanic to tear the engine apart to test for ballance issues but I just can't afford to do that, not to mention noone should have to do that to a nearly new car under warranty.

I guess I'm just hoping someone who owns a Compass and has experienced/resolved a similar issue can chime in and explain what theirs was and mine may be.
Its over an hour drive each way to this dealership which we have had to make more than a handfull of times over the last few weeks and I'm tired of wasting my time only to end up back at square 1 with the same unfixed problem... Sorry for the rant.

Last edited by FreakyT333; 10-21-2010 at 04:49 AM.
post #5 of 101 Old 10-21-2010, 05:35 AM
Administrator

No worries, I do understand your frustration as I would probably be ranting, too, if it were me. That said, I do not see where this is "normal," and definitely hope someone else here can shed some light on this for you and I sure would hope to see you get through the process of elimination before condsidering having the engine torn down. Only reason I suggested the fuel system cleaner is rough idle can cause/contribute to vibration, but good luck with this and please keep us posted!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #6 of 101 Old 10-21-2010, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks man, throwing a good fuel system cleaner in there is cheap and can't hurt a thing so its a good idea. I will give it a shot and be ecstatic if it solves the problem. I kind of get the feeling the dealership knows its something that is small but requires a lot of time and effort to properly diagnose and fix (tearing an engine apart is the last thing they wanna foot the bill for on a fresh sale) so of course they would avoid that kind of repair..... Ill keep checking here to see if someone has more ideas on this. Thanks
post #7 of 101 Old 04-20-2011, 03:43 PM

jnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyT333 View Post
First of Hello everybody I was pleased to see a specific Compass forum as my wife and I are new owners of a sexy black 2008 Jeep Compass Sport.
I will start by saying we have only had the Jeep for 2 weeks and have only been able to enjoy it about 1/3 that time (its been in the shop the rest of the time). The Jeep is the 2.0L 2x4 cvt/auto stick model (I know I know I wanted the 4x4 2.4 but what ya gonna do.
When we test drove the Compass we both really liked the way it felt/drove but did notice a vibration when stopped in drive. The salesman explained that it is due for a tranny service and he is sure that will take care of the vibration, we didn't notice any other issues- it shifted impressively smooth and fast just vibrated at a stop.
The dealer took the Jeep in to Chrysler to have the issue fixed the day after we bought it but when we got it back the problem still persisted. I took the Compass to my mechanic thinking it was a bad motor mount since the tranny had been serviced, computer flashed and a clean bill of health was issued by Chrysler. My mechanic verified that the motor mounts are good and explained that it doesn't look/feel like a tranny problem, he pointed out that the engine was shaking out of gear as well and explained that he would have to open the engine to see what the problem is. He did give me an idea of a couple things that may cause the problem, he said it looks like the engine is out of ballance and it may be a problem with either the ballance shaft or torque converter...
I took the Jeep back to the dealer and explained what I had been told, they argued saying nothing is wrong with it and its normal. I then found out when they sent the Compass to Chrysler they told them it was not shifting correctly and revving up??? That's not at all what the problem is so I had them send it back to Chrysler to get the real issue (motor vibrations) checked out.
After all of this they call me today saying Chrysler looked at it and are saying nothing is wrong. I'm not happy at all with this situation/purchase and would like to see if others have had this vibration issue with their Compass and what was done to fix the problem.
The Jeep has 65000mi on it, its a 1 owner (rental car company) and in great shape all around. Please help- we have a new baby girl coming in December and this purchase was intended to make our lives a lot easier with our growing family, we can not afford to get stuck with a new car that's going to need an engine soon (that may be dramatic but you get the gist of it). Thanks everyone
Just want to let you know you are not alone I just bought a 2008 jeep compass in september im at 57000km and as we speak my jeep is getting looked at by the dealer for this exact problem i have already had it in around christmas and they had to replace the front stuts im beginning to feel as though i bought a lemon! The vibration is annoying it shakes the whole jeep but the dealership called and said its nothing I will keep you posted as i told him its not nothing i want it fixed. hopefully i can find something out for you!
post #8 of 101 Old 04-20-2011, 04:46 PM

CVT are not backed by them unless their is a total failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjlegare View Post
Just want to let you know you are not alone I just bought a 2008 jeep compass in september im at 57000km and as we speak my jeep is getting looked at by the dealer for this exact problem i have already had it in around christmas and they had to replace the front stuts im beginning to feel as though i bought a lemon! The vibration is annoying it shakes the whole jeep but the dealership called and said its nothing I will keep you posted as i told him its not nothing i want it fixed. hopefully i can find something out for you!
What area are you in. I am going to open a case with CAMVAP for arbitration on this. I been to 4 different cities with this at dealers and the response is the same. They (CVT mechanic) has never seen this problem before. But Jeep won't let them do anything and are told to tell me its normal. If it move just drive it and follow their service recommendations etc.

The noise and shaking is irrelavent to them as long as the CVT pulls and appears to go normally. My first new vehicle in nearly 20 years and this is what I have to show for it. I have always bought used since my very bad experience in 1991 with a new 4x4 which I was force to dump due to major repairs every 2nd oil change (new front axle each time, 3 engine tear downs as well as other stuff) Mazda MVP .

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #9 of 101 Old 04-23-2011, 02:04 PM

Back in March, I wrote a post that my Compass stalled on me while at a stop light sitting in traffic in downtown Mpls. At the next stop, it shook and vibrated but did not stop. It had snowed a few inches that night, the streets hadn't been plowed, and it was wet an slushy. I worked that night, drove home, and then turned around and drove my husband to his job downtown. I did more driving that a.m., runnning errands and it didn't stall again. I was encouraged by forum members to take it to the dealer. (This happened on a few days after my dealer changed the oil). Well, I was working a horrible work schedule, and didn't get it in.

Since that time, it did the vibrating thing while I was sitting at a light, on a clear day. Also, when I driving my husband to work, and picking him up, I get the vibrating thing once each trip. It is always when I am sitting in stopped traffic on either of 2 bridges that we use to cross over the Mississippi River. (No, not the I-35E bridge that fell in the river a few years ago), but the Central Ave or Hennepin Ave bridge that are just west of the I-35E bridge.

My 2010 Compass (with CVT) was purchased last summer, and has less than 6,500 miles on it. My engine is so quiet, I don't hear anything, but the car shakes and vibrates.

A girl and her Jeep - a beautiful thing

Barbara Frechette
2010 White Jeep Cherokee Sport
St. Paul, MN, USA
post #10 of 101 Old 07-20-2011, 03:41 PM

Garage
OMG I have the sam issue with my 07 compass. when im in stopped it vibrates really bad. but i notice when i turn the AC off the vibrating decreases significantly is it maybe a problem with the AC? I will be checking this thread to find out what happens and if i get any results today ill let you know!
post #11 of 101 Old 07-20-2011, 04:44 PM

Well that sound like some ignition issue but at 6.5k (Gatormom)on it I'd be into the dealers quick to have them fix it. As for the 2007 post (newtojeep). How many miles on it. I'd start with spark plugs first in that case. Use the OEM spec'd plugs. Printed on the sticker under the hood normally. Just in case they have been swapped out with something else if you're not the original owner. Too many details missing but there you go.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #12 of 101 Old 08-08-2011, 03:57 PM

Garage
Unhappy

I can't believe it! I'm having the exact same issues.

I have a 2007 Compass Ltd with over 70K miles. I just replaced the front two struts because the front right one was leaking. Here I thought it was my aggressive approach to speed bumps, but clearly it's a Compass issue. But I also have the heavy vibration when I am stopped and in drive. But when I switch to Neutral/Reverse/Park the vibration stops.

I also find this hard to believe that this is "normal" -- Unfortunately I am out of warranty and don't really have any options. I was going to take it back to the mechanic that did my transmission service 3 months ago to double check the fluids, but from the posts on this wall it doesn't seem likely to be my problem.

If anyone has information on the vibration, please share. I'd love to solve this issue.

Jeep Compass LIMITED 4x2 - Jeep Green
*Driver Package
*Security Package
*Boston Speaker Upgrade
*U-Connect Connectivity
*Sirius Sat. Radio
*Pin-Strip
*Wheel Locks
*Black Vent Visors
*LED Multi-Color Underglow
*Rallye Body Kit [Pending Installation]
post #13 of 101 Old 08-08-2011, 04:11 PM

What CVT service did you have?

I would take it back and have him assess it.
If its the shudder I have coming to a stop seconds before. It not normal. Not one dealer tech's have seen this problem before. Only Chyrsler claims that when they call in for direction on it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #14 of 101 Old 08-08-2011, 04:16 PM

Garage
I had a flush done. My concern is that they didn't put enough fluid back in. Since I can't check the fluid levels myself I was going to take it in to have him check.

I wouldn't say mine is a shudder before stopping. It's a vibration when stopped completely and in drive. If I switch it to neutral the vibration stops and as soon as I accelerate the vibration disappears.

Even before the CVT service, I did have to replace my battery alternator. Maybe this could be related.

Jeep Compass LIMITED 4x2 - Jeep Green
*Driver Package
*Security Package
*Boston Speaker Upgrade
*U-Connect Connectivity
*Sirius Sat. Radio
*Pin-Strip
*Wheel Locks
*Black Vent Visors
*LED Multi-Color Underglow
*Rallye Body Kit [Pending Installation]
post #15 of 101 Old 08-08-2011, 04:56 PM

Well it is a very special CVT fluid thats used. having said that then I'd say yes you likely don't have enough in there. The shops have a special tool to measure this. I would go back as soon as you can.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #16 of 101 Old 10-23-2011, 03:42 AM

Garage
2011 idle vibration

I have a vibration when idling in gear with brakes on, it stops when I release the brake or drop to park and back to drive. It doesn't shake the car those mentioned above.

It's coming from the front but doesn't sound metallic, more like a lose plastic component?

Anyone else have this in 2011 CVT?

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

post #17 of 101 Old 12-06-2011, 10:56 PM

Garage
I am having the same issue with my 2011 limited 4x4 CVT. I'm taking it in to have looked at this weekend. The vibration has gotten REALLY bad. Everyone that had rode in my car has said something about it. It only does it in drive at stops. When put into neutral, the vibration goes away.
post #18 of 101 Old 12-07-2011, 12:37 AM

Garage
what about motor mounts check any of them? my old cavlier did that when stopped at lights it would rattle viberate got the engine mounts changed and never heard the noise again

post #19 of 101 Old 12-12-2011, 01:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDevil79 View Post
I have a vibration when idling in gear with brakes on, it stops when I release the brake or drop to park and back to drive. It doesn't shake the car those mentioned above.

It's coming from the front but doesn't sound metallic, more like a lose plastic component?

Anyone else have this in 2011 CVT?
Apparently 'this is normal' when I asked the dealer service dept. to look at it today, yeah right!

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

post #20 of 101 Old 12-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Apparently 'this is normal' when I asked the dealer service dept. to look at it today, yeah right!
Take it to another dealer and still no results then you'll have to call Customer Relation and open a case (note the case # and who you're taking to). They'll setup another dealer checkup (even if its one of the ones already looked at it). You could call customer relations even now and skip visit. But personally I would go to another dealer.

PS: CVT's don't get replace unless they're very very bad shape as I found out.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #21 of 101 Old 12-12-2011, 06:01 PM

Garage
Yeah I'll try another dealer, this was my local one so I'll go to where I actually brought it from, although they're not great either!

I don't think its actually my CVT though, more like something lose under the hood, near the front, although I can't see what

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

post #22 of 101 Old 12-12-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah I'll try another dealer, this was my local one so I'll go to where I actually brought it from, although they're not great either!

I don't think its actually my CVT though, more like something lose under the hood, near the front, although I can't see what
Another member in Montreal took his to a dealer their and the stripped/twisted off his wheel lugs. He eventually got everything fixed at another dealer including the screwed up repairs done.

Sound like there are some winner there to stay away from. Maybe someone can recommend a competent service location. It makes a difference and pays to drive the distance to get the job done right and first time when possible.

Good luck.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #23 of 101 Old 12-12-2011, 07:36 PM

Garage
Problem solved with no help from the dealer!!

Its the hood rattling! You need 2 people to fix it. Have one person inside the car with the car in drive and one foot on the break. The other person up by the hood to adjust two screw rubber things under the hood. You can see that those rubber pieces under the hood are intended to keep the hood from vibrating. Well if they are not set high enough, they don't work. I turned mine 1 rotation counter clockwise and the vibration stopped.
post #24 of 101 Old 12-12-2011, 07:54 PM

Garage
I'll try that, I thought it could be linked to it - I closed my hood firmly last week and tried agian and it was good for a while, this fix may work full time - thanks!

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

post #25 of 101 Old 12-13-2011, 02:07 AM

Garage
I havent had a vibration persay , My Jeep had like a shudder twice when i was stopped at a light, but both times it was in the summer when it was really hot temps near 100º it has yet to do it again so I can't really see taking it in to be looked at ? since its only done it twice.

~Jay
post #26 of 101 Old 12-31-2011, 02:38 PM

Garage
I have the 09 sport, and mine” vibrates” when in drive at a light. It has stalled 2x at a light a well. I have about 70k miles on it and I'm the only owner. I have changed the plugs and do regular oil changes on it. But it like vibrates the whole front end of the interior like the dash board. I will try the hood adjustment as mentioned before, but I think its something else
post #27 of 101 Old 12-31-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domesticrob07 View Post
I have the 09 sport, and mine” vibrates” when in drive at a light. It has stalled 2x at a light a well. I have about 70k miles on it and I'm the only owner. I have changed the plugs and do regular oil changes on it. But it like vibrates the whole front end of the interior like the dash board. I will try the hood adjustment as mentioned before, but I think its something else
Waste of time. The hood has nothing to do with causing a stall or vibrating either. If the engine is that rough something is off, fuel or ignition issue.

What about in neutral at idle and its it fairly smooth on the highway driving steady? I'd try a different brand of gas or even premium from a name brand gas station. I try to stay away from no name gas outlets whenever possible.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #28 of 101 Old 12-31-2011, 02:55 PM

Garage
Only in drive at a stop. I do fuel treatments 2xa week and I airways have put gas at the save location. Out is smooth when in idle neutral or park.
post #29 of 101 Old 12-31-2011, 03:07 PM

All name brand gas stations have detergents in their gas. The is no need for fuel treatments especially as often as you are doing it. I would stop them altogether and still get gas somewhere else when you're below a quarter of a tank. See how that goes.

You're omitting key info. what engine is it and is it with a CVT or standard transmission.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 12-31-2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: typo
post #30 of 101 Old 12-31-2011, 03:13 PM

Garage
I only started the treatments about a month ago because thats when it stalked the 2nd time. Its the 2.o cvt 2x4.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in