O2 Sensor? Engine light on - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 10-21-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

O2 Sensor? Engine light on

Hey,

I have a 2007 Jeep Compass and the check engine light is on. I got a code on it that said to change the O2 sensor. The sensor directly behind the engine in the middle when you are looking in the hood has already been changed and it didn't fix the problem. I was told there are a total of three spark plugs on the jeep but I can't find any of the other ones, I was hoping someone could help me out. I already checked the owner's manual.

Thanks,
Tommy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-24-2010, 06:50 PM

First off, there are a total of 4 spark plugs, one for each cylinder. The engine is a 4 cylinder, therefore there are 4 spark plugs. In regards to your o2 sensor issue, I cant recall off the top of my head, but i believe the Jeep Compass has (2) O2 sensors. 1 is before the Catalytic converter and 1 is after it. My guess is to replace the 2nd one you havent replaced. Its fairly easy to do and im hoping it solves your problem. Best of luck!
post #3 of 12 Old 11-25-2010, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, spark plugs was a type-o, I meant to say O2 sensor. I already found the second one and replaced it, just had to follow the exhaust back. It was pretty easy to replace but it didn't fix the problem...at least I don't think so. I disconnected the battery for about 3 hours to reset the code and it was still there when I hooked it back up and turned it on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-29-2010, 04:44 PM

wow man, i dont know what else it could be. you might have to change the o2 sensor circuit. My buddies 04 tundra had this same issue and he had to get the computer flashed and then the whole o2 sensor wiring replaced.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Administrator

So I take it the light is sitll on? Were you getting any other symptoms or just the CEL? As for clearing the code, you can try it the old fashioned way lol. Put the key in the ignition. Then, rapidly, 3-4 times, click it to "on" then back to "off" without starting the car and see if that doesn't turn the light off.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #6 of 12 Old 12-03-2010, 08:46 PM

First you need to have the code trouble shot!!! The mixture may be out of spec and the sensors threw a code but it does not mean they are faulty just that the exhaust is out of spec.
- vacuum leaks
- loose gas cap
- plugged or very dirty air filter
- EGR valve if this engine has one

All the above can contribute to a check engine light and codes will vary. The don't necessarily clear right away. It depends on the reset interval and driving length before the ECM determines its all ok now.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-04-2010, 03:12 AM
Administrator

Agreed ^^^^. Another thing to consider, certain codes, like the O2 sensor code, are pre-set at the factory to trigger the CEL at a certain mileage. There again, doesn't necessarily mean the sensor is faulty, but exactly what code were you getting and how many miles do you have on your Compass?

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #8 of 12 Old 12-06-2010, 11:28 PM

Cherokee... you bring up an interesting point.

My check engine light came on this weekend. This was within a week of my 2007 Compass passing 100,000 miles. I'm thinking it also was a pre-set trigger to get my Jeep in for a check-up (this is the first and only check engine warning that has come up since I bought my Jeep)

I went to my local Autozone to have it read and this was the result:

P0420

Definition: Catalyst Efficiency low - bank 1

Explanation: The oxygen sensors monitor the Catalytic Converter's ability to store oxygen.

Probable cause: Catalytic converter defective (failure possibly due to #2, #3, #4)
2: engine misfire or running condition
3: large vacuum leak
4: engine oil leakage into exhaust valve guide seals, piston rings

Is this something I really need to be concerned about? Or can I just do a quick tune up (as I had originally planned to do) and be on my merry way? I am hoping to avoid any major expense as the holidays are just around the corner.

Carlos
post #9 of 12 Old 12-08-2010, 12:11 AM

Addendum to last post:

Soooo I went to Autozone to get my parts for my tune-up and I just changed my spark plugs. When I turned the ignition to fire it up "POOF"... no more check engine light. The code 420 was gone!

I'm going to continue with the rest of my tune-up but Cherokee, I think you are right when you said that it may have been preset to go off at a certain milestone.

2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4WD - Black
4 Cyl, 2.4L CVT
195,000/mi -
215/65R17 - Continental ProContact ECOPlus

Replaced entire front end suspension at 190,000mi (control arms, inner/outer tie rods, bushings, etc.) (did it myself)

new Monroe struts at 160,000/mi (did it myself)
Ball Joints 2x-both sides - various mileage (did it myself)
post #10 of 12 Old 12-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear the spark plug change took care of it Carlos! How did your plugs look?

- Cherokee

post #11 of 12 Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 PM

Compass Sport 2.4 4WD 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
Glad to hear the spark plug change took care of it Carlos! How did your plugs look?

- Cherokee
Hi guys, i have changed 3 times cat converter, different brands, the car runs 3-4days and the check engine lights on again (Cat efficiency low..... ) Do i have to buy the original Mopar Cat converter as the only solution?. Does it have something special on it ?, Xks a lot
post #12 of 12 Old 10-31-2016, 10:12 AM

Jeep compass 2008 code P2090

Hello there, i have a check engine lights on it is a B' Camshaft Position Actuator Control Circuit Low Bank 1, has someone got fix on this code?please help. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in